1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this hood look misaligned?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by schja01, Jun 29, 2018.

1. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good move to reject this car.

A vehicle is "new" until it is titled. It's common to fix scratches and other minor (and not so minor) damage before sale of the "new" car. Cars used by the big shots at the dealership are also sold as new if they're not titled. They may be sold as "executive" cars with the mileage clearly displayed, but they have the new car warranty in force...less the miles somebody else put on the car. The warranty is 60,000 miles, or whatever, from zero, not from the day you bought & titled the car.

The video in post #44 shows what I've seen when cars are loaded in a Japanese port. The person walking was wearing clothing & hard hat that looked Japanese. The drivers drive like frustrated Formula 1 wanna-be's.

Starship16 likes this.
  2. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I still hold to my theory that the damage may have occurred when the car was unloaded from the ship. Not to say that it couldn't have happened at some point afterwards, but pinning it down I think is impossible based only on people signing off on the car along the way. The major inspection occurs at the plant as soon as the car comes off the assembly line. After it leaves the factory I would really think all everyone is mainly looking for is dings and scratches etc., i.e .the likely things that occur during transit, and people are not paying much attention if any to fit and finish or panel alignment. Maybe they should and maybe some do, if in fact this type of damage is fairly common during transit. But if this type of occurrence is rare I can imagine something like this slipping through several in-transit inspections. Going with your theory, the dealer turned out to be the one that discovered it because probably they were the first to pop the hood after it left the factory.

pilotgrrl, KrPtNk and schja01 like this.
  3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Makes a lot of sense. I wonder how much damage occurs enroute but is less severe than mine that flys under the radar until the more thorough PDI? Kind of scary to imagine all the scenarios.

4. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I understand correctly you think the problem may simply be an incorrectly adjusted bump stop which somehow didn't get caught during post-assembly inspection at the factory, and that the dealer mistakenly jumped to the conclusion that the misaligned hood was the result of an incident during transit.

Your theory is possible, but personally I wouldn't take the chance.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ever heard of a dealer jumping to a conclusion that was not accurate, only to find out it was a simple problem? There is a reason they are glowingly referred to as “stealerships”.

Take brake inspections as an example. Plenty of people on here take their Prius in for brake inspections as they hear a noise when the brakes are applied then are charged for a $200 brake job. Usually the only problem is rust on the rotors, but the dealer doesn’t flinch:cool:.

As someone who has fitted a bra to te front of their Prius, I had to adjust the bump stops as the hood wouldn’t close (it was also in the install instructions).

Is it unheard of that the fit of the hood is snug (potentially moreso than others at the time of assembly) and someone along the way pops the hood (looks at the battery, fluid level, etc) and can’t get it to close completely?

I’m a keep it simple type of guy and non-conspiracy theorist. If I can’t see damage to the front of the car, and I investigated the bump stops and the hood closes once they are adjusted down, why wouldn’t it be the bump stops?

Before I’d wait longer, I would have asked to spend some time with the car (as I would have waited a fair bit of time to only say “no thanks” without doing so and then go back on a wait list) and looked at the bump stops and lower them a bit and seen what happened. Also raising the hood affords the opportunity to see what else is going on, if anything (which I suspect not given there is no visual picture showing any warping or bowing of the hood).

If the dealer can’t explain the reason for the hood being slightly ajar and the OP wasn’t willing to look into it, the Prime will go to someone ;).

Just my thinking through the situation (y).

6. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The service dept (which does the inspection) said there is damage to the undercarriage which raises the engine assembly up against the hood and that damage requires replacement parts. I have not actually seen the damage from underneath. The service bays are off limits due to insurance liability issues to us mere mortals. I could have asked them to take a few photos but didn't think to ask. The car is now relegated to "Service Row" waiting for replacement parts.
    J

Mark57, pilotgrrl and Starship16 like this.
  7. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, so I guess this means they think they can fix it within the non-disclosure limit, which apparently for Illinois is 6%. Using $33,300 as MSRP that would be right at $2,000. And I read somewhere that apparently the repair amount is based on dealer cost, not what they would charge a customer or insurance for repair. If that's true, then as long as they can prove that their cost for parts and labor to replace the damaged undercarriage parts is less than $2,000 then they can put it right back out on the lot without saying a peep.

Starship16 likes this.
  8. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Missed OR covered their arse by not saying anything.

We can continue to follow the VIN (JTDKARFPXJ3075545) for fun.

Interesting that they still have not removed the protective cover.

9. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It’s removed now. Probable part of the Pre Delivery Inspection process.

10. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The dealer did explain the reason as being related to damage to the the undercarriage as a result of unloading it from the transport at the dealer. That's their story.
    You are right the car will go to someone else but not until after approx 10 days that it takes to fix the damage the dealer says exists. The 10 days might have been shorter had it not been the upcoming Independence Day Holiday.

11. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As the OP I thought I'd post one last followup to close this thread.
    The replacement Prius Prime arrived Tuesday 7/31/18 and I picked it up
    Wednesday 8/1/18. This one was perfect save the back ordered dealer installed
    black shifter applique which should be installed next week.
    Build Date: 6/2018
    After waiting a total of 8 weeks I got exactly the car I wanted.
    Now it's time to put endless hours of book learning to use and familiarize
    myself with the myriad of controls and features.
    I want to once again thank all those who offered advice. It was much appreciated.
    To me, it was worth the wait.
    All the best,
    J
    PS. Hypersonic Red is absolutely beautiful. Outside of the US it's Emotional Red. Go figure.

#71 schja01, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hopefully car manufacturers will wake up to this issue and soon: cars CAN become too complicated, the automotive equivalent of a VCR with a clock blinking "00:00"...

padroo likes this.