1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

does this indicate the source of my problem?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Sep 30, 2019.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Re: the battery giving me the 3030 code.

OK, recall that on this battery I've swapped in a good cell for a weak one, and another good cell for one with a stripped buss bar terminal, and I replaced the sensor/buss bar harness, but I'm still getting a 3030 code. So, I got it back out and checked voltage on all the modules again. All of them show between 7.81 and 7.83 volts except one, which is at 6.45v. I looked over the buss bar at that location and checked the torque on the nuts, and all seems good. Could just one slightly weak cell cause a 3030? I thought that code points to a wiring issue.

2. gothstone

gothstone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you just getting 3030? It should also be giving something in the P3011-P3029 range which would point you to the block line it's complaining about.

3. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    nothing but the 3030, but I'm using a ScanGauge and not TechStream to pull codes, so maybe it misses some. I say that because one of my other cars has the orange triangle and CEL, but ScanGauge doesn't show any codes, which we know isn't right.

4. gothstone

gothstone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Weird! Hopefully your minivci cable comes in soon, that should give you a lot more info. You don't have to find an XP laptop. If your on windows 7 then windows XP mode will work great. On windows 10 its a bit more complicated, but not too bad and how I'm doing it. Search youtube for "How to Install Windows XP Mode on Windows 10!!!" for good instructions.

Since you have so many prii going at once, why not just steal a 7.2v cell from another pack just to test?

5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Cool. I already have the cable, but have been looking for an XP. And I still need to download Techstream. My only worry about using my Windows7 laptop is the potential for malware in the bootleg copies of Techstream found online. Others here recommended getting a dedicated XP for that reason.

I don't know that the batteries in either of my parts cars have any good modules. I got the others I replaced from the core I sent back to Best Hybrid, but they were the only ones that were good. I gotta think this latest car has either a good battery or, at least, some good cells, but was hoping to keep it in that car and fix the wreck damage. That's why I asked about measuring its voltage while in the car in my other post.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Why do you think a module at 6.5 is slightly weak? Throw it away. It's no good. It's junk. It will cause nothing but problems. Did I mention it's no good? It has no place in any HV battery, in any Prius, unless you hate the person who owns the car.....

Remember, each module is made of (6) 1.2v nominal cells. When charged to 7.8 volts, each of the 6 cells would be around 1.3 volts. 6 x 1.3 = 7.8

Guess what happens when a single cell fails in a module? 6.3-6.5 volts. Once a cell is dead there's no reliable way to recover it. Just replace the module, otherwise you're going to be right back here again next week.

7. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Works for me. I thought it was "slightly weak" because I know no better. As I've said here before, I'm ignorant about all things electrical. But, it does sound like that's my problem. Just got to find a good module and it should be good to go.