1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this look like a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Passing Gas in the OC, May 3, 2006.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 4 2006, 08:10 AM) [snapback]249628[/snapback]</div>
    I hate to add fuel to the fire, but according to the wikipedia article: "The NHW10 is nicknamed the "Gen 1" Prius. The NHW11 is nicknamed the "Classic" Prius and was the first Prius sold in the United States. The NHW20 is known as the "Gen 2" Prius."

This was my understanding of it also. John1701a defines it as "Original, Classic and HSD".

So Classic is the first model type sold here, Gen 2 is the current. What Gen 1 is is debatable, but from a software engineer's perspective, it really should be both the original (1.0) and classic (1.1), IMO.

nerfer

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ May 4 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]249693[/snapback]</div>
    BUT, if I say "Gen 1 Prius," I guarantee that most people are going to think that I'm refering to the "Classic." Language is largely defined by usage, so I would argue that it's reasonable to use a term that most people will understand. For those of you that it bothers, it surprises me that you're not equally disturbed that the 2004-2006 Prii aren't refered to as "Gen 3."

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ May 4 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]249693[/snapback]</div>
    The real issue/problem here is that none of these are Toyota's terms. That's why NHWXX is the most precise way to define the version you're talking about. There's no question, in my mind, about that.

But the way we use it in the forum is clearly a deviation from any official nomenclature. Classic, original, etc. are all terms invented on the internet by users. Just as are 1st generation, second generation, etc.

The rub is that some folks want all the versions 'respected' in all discussions and consider it a snub if I call the NHW11 the 1st generation--If I were to use the phrase "The first generation outside of Japan" there'd be no arguement--but that's a cumbersome mouthful. In the circles of this forum for general discussion using first generation or classic are acceptable short-cuts/nicknames that leave little or no room for misunderstanding in most posts. Likewise discussions of 2nd generation Prius.

I'll concede that if there is any chance that the discussion could involve all 3 versions of the Prius and the audience is knowledgable enough to understand it, it would be more precise and eliminate any confusion if we used the NHWXX device.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow...

geek wars are ugly things.

:lol:

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 4 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]249717[/snapback]</div>

ROFL!!!!!!! I was just thinking along the same lines... :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ May 4 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]249693[/snapback]</div>
    I noticed that paragraph get added today by an anonymous user (perhaps someone on this thread...?), and it struck me as rather odd, and I was tempted to remove it. There's no real general agreement on that informal "generation" terminology.

7. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ May 4 2006, 09:29 AM) [snapback]249733[/snapback]</div>
    The IP traces back to an ISP that serves Austin, TX. My money is on gippah doing the editing, since he's the only poster in this thread from that area. By the way, someone else has already removed it.

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. Looking at the times given, it appears gippah added that paragraph at the same time as he posted here suggesting that we look on Wikipedia for support of his point of view.

Pretty sneaky and underhanded, I feel.

It was I who removed the paragraph, after my last post. As I said above, prior to seeing this thread I noticed that paragraph going in, and was tempted to remove it at the time.

9. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I can't believe someone actually modified wiki to make an arguement on an online forum. This is too funny.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 4 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]249717[/snapback]</div>
    I believe Nerd is more PC....and hey!! I resemble that remark... :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ May 4 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]249759[/snapback]</div>
    I think that means he wins the arguement since I wasn't smart enough to think to go there and do something like that first.

I know there are wiki lovers here, but this is exactly the uncontrolled kinda thing that occurs and who can tell if the info they're reading at one moment is grounded in fact, relatively accurate, or total bunk?

Anyway, my last post on the subject does, I think, clear the issue up at least as far as I'm concerned.

11. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I noticed that somebody removed my edits of the "aka" section in right infobox on the Wikipedia which actually stayed there for at least a year where I called NHW10 Gen0, NHW11 Gen 1/Classic, and NHW20 Gen2. Looks like Sfoskett changed it to the new format back in Feb 8, 2006.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I actually posted the reference above to Wikipedia. Then I server-hopped and gained control of a workstation in central-Texas, editted the Wiki entry, removed the Wiki entry, and am now trying to think of someone else to pin it on. :)

Anyone want to take bets as to whether Passing Gas still cares?

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 4 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]249776[/snapback]</div>
    According to the book Science Made Stupid, the Scientific Method can be done two ways....

Inductive
    1) Formulate hypothesis
    2) Apply for grant
    3) Gather data to test hypothesis
    4) Alter data to fit hypothesis
    5) Publish

Deductive
    1) Formulate hypothesis
    2) Apply for grant
    3) Gather data to test hypothesis
    4) Revise hypothesis to fit data
    5) Backdate revised hypothesis
    6) Publish

:p

14. PriusDad

PriusDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 4 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]249839[/snapback]</div>
    My goodness... it looks like a couple of PriusChat members could use a timeout! :blink:

Peter.

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 4 2006, 07:52 AM) [snapback]249679[/snapback]</div>
    PriusChat has a spell checker? :huh:
    In what version of PriusChat did that start?
    And which version of English does it use?
    We wouldn't want to start any flame wars on simple semantics, now would we. :p

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL regarding the NHWxx designation. I didn't even know about it until today. We gotta start being like those BMW guys who refer to their cars by the model code like E90, E46, E36, etc. ;) That'll make it crystal clear. ;)

(FWIW, on maxima.org, people don't refer to A31, A32, A33, etc. much, they just go by generation and/or model year.)

17. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ May 4 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]249693[/snapback]</div>
    Try to remember the nature of Wikipedia; literally ANYONE who wants to modify an article can do so, and have their changes appear IMMEDIATELY. I've done it myself many times. So someone whose opinion was yours decided to edit that article and put the above line in, but it's actually not appropriate for an encyclopedia because not everyone calls the Japan version a Generation I.

I call the first U.S. Prius the Gen 1 and the current one the Gen 2. So does GreenHybrid's database. The 1997 Prius I call the Japan-only one.

EDIT: Actually I can't find that line in the current Toyota Prius article so I guess someone already reverted it.