1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this look like transport damage?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by iflooru, May 16, 2010.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the reality is that the owner has a lot of leverage. Unless the dealership is a total scumbag operation. The car is so new, and the nature of the damage is so obviously not something that would happen in regular driving, in a right universe, this simply gets repaired.

In absolutely the worst case, and this went to arbitration or court, I think the owner would have a pretty good case for restitution. I don't foresee getting this resolved as being a problem. The only question would be exactly where, when and how it is resolved.

2. iflooru

iflooru New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    BTW this car was in fact a dealer trade, hence the 70 miles. Here is a photo of the passenger front bumper taken from the side with the trouble light on to bring out the scratches I found on the bumper last night.

[​IMG]

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad things worked out for you. Silver is much better not showing scrathes ect. But I really like my Baracellona Red much better and so far so good with the paint standing up to things.

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Honestly, legally you may be correct but I am 99% sure the dealer will take care of this issue. I've seen it many times and have had dealers take responsibility for lot damage I haven't discovered until I got home.

The dealer is insured for this...

That is wonderful!

Black is very hard to take care of, especially Toyota black. On black Lexus vehicles there is no clearcoat, it may or may not be that way on the Prius. The metallic helps hide marring but flat black is tough. The most rewarding when its cleaned and well polished...but the hardest to keep that way.

The scratches you showed are very typical damage caused by improper dealer prep. One poor wash and the paint will look like that. I polished brand new cars all the time when I owned my detailing business because the dealers had swirled them all up when they were prepping them for delivery. Thats why I always specify NO WASH when my cars are in for service.

5. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Your "NEW" Prius was "USED" for 70 miles Before You owned it. That's why the car has an Odometer in it, to tell you that !

Looks like it wasn't USED all that carefully during those 70 miles.:cool:

6. iflooru

iflooru New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well I took back the Black model III tonight and drove home a Blizzard Pearl model V with Navi :rockon:
    I leased and got a great price, $400 below invoice, $29,204 the MSRP was $31,360. Went from $242 a month on the 3 to $315 on the 5 not all that much considering the additional equipment. The amount of extra stuff is fantastic: 17's, heated leather, auto dim mirror with Homelink, LED headlights, fogs, Navi, back up camera, SOS on-star thingy, the Rain-X windows, the footwell lights, headlight washers, that plasma ion air... did I miss anything? Asked that it not be prepped, brought it home washed and waxed it with some Nano and there isn't 1 single nick, scuff, scrape or hairline spiderweb in it. Love the white contrast with the black. First option is to put some 20% on the windows. The dealership was very cool about all this and said they were sending the Prius back to the dealership it came from for originally. Thanks all for your comments I will get some pics up on the appropriate thread shortly.

1 person likes this.
  7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Happy to hear it worked out.

8. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    SWEET!!!! so glad all worked out well for you. You'll love the blizzard pearl, we do.
    Tom

9. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Well, if it's a used car then he is stuck. If he didn't notice it when he picked it up, shame on him.

Of course it is not a "used" car! If it was sold on a manufacturers certificate and hasn't been titled before, it is not a used car as that term is defined in any law that I know of. A dealer near here just recently sold a "new" 2002 Ford Thunderbird because it had never been titled. You can finance it as a new car, you can insure it as a new car, it IS a new car, but I guess now this will trigger an endless series of posts by you redefining the world.

Inasmuch as it was sold to him as a new car, albeit with a few miles, he is entitled to have a car that has not been damaged. But he better bring it to the dealers attention very quickly so they don't claim it was caused by him. That would be the sticky part. Prove it was like that when you got it. That doesn't look like a cheap fix either. I would push it hard. If push comes to shove, no judge or jury is likely to believe a car dealer as opposed to a purchaser and they (and their lawyers) know that, so they may huff and puff but will probably fold in the end.

As usual, start as nicely as you are able to and only escalate when they do. Otherwise, if you get their hackles up, it might be a long haul.

10. sashwilliams177

sashwilliams177 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Its a very clear dent ,your dealer should have informed you about this thing before

Sash | enclosed auto shipping

11. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is from the year 2010 !!!!

iPhone ?

12. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At each step of the transportation process there should be specific paperwork called a "TCR" ( transportation claims request). During and after the loading/ unloading of the vehicle notations are supposed to be noted on this form of any damage that may have occurred during transportation. If the damage was noted by the driver of the carrier when he uploaded the vehicle then he should have indicated it to the recipient. If you signed for the vehicle without making a thorough inspection, you have released liability of the transportation company for any damages.