1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this make you drool or what?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prius Team, Jan 14, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was thinking about 'traction batteries are the limiting resource' and impacts on behavior:

• existing hybrid maker with significant market penetration
    • new car ventures with no product
    • clever individuals
    For a successful hybrid maker, a single, plug-in traction battery risks taking the resources needed for two or more hybrids. In this case, making plug-in vehicles while traction batteries are the critical hybrid resource cuts sales and profits. ... not a good business decision. Two people in one plug-in or one each in two hybrids?

A new car venture has the option of trying to compete with successful hybrids with a briar patch of patents. They will not have volume production at first so battery limitations are less important. For them, EV or EV-extended range makes sense by avoiding the patent briar patch and having to enter a hard market, one with successful, mature hybrids.

Clever individuals are aware of costs but live by their curiosity. They tend to be innovative like a new car venture but take their base approach of add-on to an existing, successful hybrid. Since they often get batteries from non-traditional sources, they don't compete directly with successful hybrid makers ... except to draw attention to plug-in technology. But they are limited by the available pool of successful hybrids and are treated as somewhat parasitic to the established car makers.

I'm not too worried about slow adoption of plug-in hybrids. Some of the early fleet studies indicate the discipline to use them correctly is not yet there. However, I would like to see the established hybrid vendors do 'plug-in lite' by peak charging the existing traction batteries and block and transmission heaters and some block and transaxle insulation. A premium option, it would simply let folks start with a car tweaked for the upper MPG quadrant.

I suspect new car vendors, those respecting patents, will be offering EV and EV-extended range. That is the only market area not filled with significant numbers. Then there is this pesky battery resource problem.

As for the clever individuals, what is not to like about their efforts? Other than they often see the world through different eyes.

Bob Wilson

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    More importantly ... and it just dawned on me, what kind of mpg's did you get on your lunch break. Be honest now. Did you go stealth? or what?

3. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I think the OP just was having some fun, not sure why people got upset at the "jealous" comment. Surely they were joking...

Very interesting. I checked out a Nissan Leaf in person Sunday and I liked it a lot.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well you weren't loud enough =P :D

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't speak for everyone but I fake upset for fun.

6. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I received an email from Plug-In Conversions Corporation and it stated that they are doing R and D on their plug in conversion for the 2010 and would have something within 6 months. I am hopeful that I will get something within a year. If I don't I am considering the Nissan Leaf for my future. I love my Prius but I believe in electron power.

7. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    HRMMMMM....let us give that one some nice long thought.

jprates, You've nailed it! We're truly that eager to tell you more (and I was personally super excited to drive the car for the first time)! We'll do our best not to tease, but it's just our way of having a little fun with it when we're not permitted to say anything else.

As for your proposed next steps, we have all of those answers for you, both in anecdotes and in photos (we both took the car home so we had a little more than just a lunch trip to document this over). As soon as we can say more, you can be sure we will be sharing it!!!

Thanks for being patient with corporate rules everyone. ;)

Erica Gartsbeyn, Prius Product Marketing, Toyota USA

1 person likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Doug and Erica for keeping us in the loop!

9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    looking forward to drool over the pictures your going to post.