1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this qualify us...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dalspot, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why? Theoretical efficiency is around 45%. Are you really so pressed for space that 23.5% isn't good enough? Price and embodied energy are what I keep hoping will drop more.

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, I miscounted (32 versus 33). Apologies. You find the summer heat tends to reduce efficiency? I live in the southwest, so there'd be a lot of that with which to contend.

I'm not even sure the 23.5% efficiency panels are available to the public at reasonable costs. The one I read about was being developed in conjunction with DARPA. The less one has to use, the better as far as I'm concerned. I don't disagree on further price reductions.

3. dalspot

dalspot One foot off the grid

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Vinnie - yes solar panels are less efficient in hot weather, temperature is a factor. Not a generation killer, but a factor. There are also still state incentives and rebates, worth checking into, and the cost of solar has dropped down a good 25% since we installed ours.