1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Torque Pro read P3000?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shodoug, Aug 29, 2022.

1. shodoug

shodoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am reading a pending fault for P0A80 with Torque Pro and Dr. Prius free reads "P3000P0A80"

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Seems like they're similar codes . I had the 0a80 twas in fact a toasted HV . Bought a toyoda I it online . Haven't thought about it since working great.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    P3000 is a code from the Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU, meaning "the battery ECU told me something is wrong."

P0A80 is a code from the battery ECU itself, saying "here's what's wrong."

If Torque didn't ask the HV control ECU, it didn't see the P3000.

shodoug likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Gen2 Prius has the HV Battery and Hybrid Control ecu's sharing a lot of data between them. The OE scantool Techstream keeps the codes and data separate, but several "budget" apps kind of mosh things together, or see one but not the other.

P3000 is a Hybrid Control code that says "hey, the HV battery ecu says it's got a problem, you should go over there and check it out".

P0A80 is the HV battery ecu saying, "the battery block voltages are too whack- Toyota programmed me to tell you, it's time to replace it".

AFAIK, that's the limit of Torque - ECM and some HC/HVB codes and data. Dr Prius has some HVB data, some HC/HVB codes, and ECM codes.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

shodoug likes this.
  5. shodoug

shodoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to Mr_Guy_Man, ChapmanF, and Tombukt2 for the helpful replies. :)

Doug

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought it was the other way around with battery ECU providing P3000 and HVC ECU saying P0A80?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you haven't got the repair manual to look in, you can think it out this way: P3000 is the "some problem with the battery has been reported" code, and P0A80 is the "this battery has excessively different block voltages, which I know because all 14 of those voltage wires are connected to me" code, and that's kind of enough to tell you which ECU is giving you each one.

If you have got the repair manual to look in, you find P3000 in the DTC chart for "hybrid vehicle control", and P0A80 in the DTC chart for "hybrid battery control".

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Again, pretty sure you got it backwards. P0A80 means something is wrong with the hybrid battery in general and it could be many different things. But P3000 means block voltages are excessively different.

As in for the past 4 years that I've been rebuilding batteries I've never heard a battery re-builder say it's the other way around... But in Googling to confirm before I sent this reply it seems there's a great deal of confusion about this.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Directly from the repair manual, where I (subtly?) hinted it can be looked up:

P3000 is described in the "hybrid vehicle control" section, which contains the codes that the HV control ECU can report. There are several different INF codes for it (these are, in the 2006 edition that floats around the web, on pages HV-468 to HV-471), but they all mean that the HV control ECU has received an abnormal signal input from the battery ECU.

(The English translation could be better: you might guess "abnormal signal from battery ECU" meant the communication line was shorted or something, but it doesn't. It means communication with the battery ECU is just fine, thanks, and the battery ECU has said "hey, letting you know something's abnormal here".)

The information the battery ECU sends over is enough for the HV control ECU to add one of six INF codes, 123 if the battery ECU said it was a general battery malfunction, 125 for the HV fuse blown, 603 for a cooling issue, 388 for discharge inhibition problems, 389 for drop of high voltage.

Now if you go talk to the battery ECU itself, you get the more specific codes. P0A80, in the "hybrid battery control" section (page HB-39) says "voltage difference between battery blocks is higher than standard (2 trip detection logic)." Or, if the P3000 had one of those other INF codes, the battery ECU will have the different specific trouble codes to explain those, like P0A81 for the cooling fan, etc.

Again, you can work this out also from knowing that the battery ECU is the one that's in the battery box and has the voltage-sensing leads brought to it. And you can see it if you use a scan tool that groups codes by which ECU reported them.

Clearing up the confusion is worth doing. But not all things are strictly majoritarian. There might be only one repair manual, and fifty Google hits or battery re-builders saying something different, and the car still does what the manual says.

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    [Directly from the repair manual, where I (subtly?) hinted it can be looked up]

What he said. I doubled checked in both versions of the 2006 service manual I found on the web.

Screenshot_20220830-002710.jpeg Screenshot_20220830-002809.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope @SFO sees this and posts the definition & diagnostic steps of the 5 subcodes for P3000?

In the meantime:

Lol, looks to me like the parts marketing profiteers claim P0A80 for "description item" and the engineering dummies who have given up when it comes to making more money based on parts sales don't care to even bother explaining what each of the 5 subcodes for P3000 actually mean in the description on this chart.

More to the point, I'd like to know what other battery rebuilders think they're dealing with when they get P3000? For me and everyone I've talked to who does rebuilding it means "voltage difference" as in less capacity than other blocks triggers an error code.

And yes, there's more to it than this and I'd like to learn more but the stench of corruption in the canonical organization of error codes seems pretty vile regarding their lack of definiteness/accuracy.

#11 PriusCamper, Aug 30, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The trouble with filtering everything through a distorted lens is it is very hard to see things clearly.

GIGO.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What mr_guy_mann attached, for the sake of brevity, were the "fail-safe charts" for both the "hybrid battery system" (where you see P0A80) and for the "hybrid control system" (where you find the various flavors of P3000). The fail-safe charts show only a DTC, its fortune cookie (under "detection item") and what the car does when that code is set ("driving condition"). While enough to support mr_guy_mann's point, the fail-safe chart isn't where you find the rest of the details about a trouble code; that's not the point of a fail-safe chart.

As has been mentioned in other threads before, the fortune cookie for a trouble code rarely tells you enough about it to be useful. When you want to learn what a code specifically means, you turn to that code in the manual and you read its "detection condition" (a little way down on the first page). That's where, for P0A80, you find "voltage difference between battery blocks is higher than standard (2 trip detection logic)", and for the various P3000 subcodes, you find that an abnormal indication has been sent by the battery ECU (and, for each subcode, the specific sort of abnormality reported).

If that's what they think for a P3000-123, then all they are is a little confused about which is the chicken and which is the egg, while if that's what they think for P3000 with any other subcode, they're plain wrong. But neither would be the first example of a misconception that can get widely spread in a sort of tight-knit community where one person's initial misunderstanding of something could get easily shared.

There isn't any stench here in the repair manual and not much lack of definiteness/accuracy. (Yes, there are occasional goofs and unhelpful translations in the manual, but not so much for these codes.)

It doesn't take more than looking stuff up in the manual two or three times to start getting familiar with what the fail-safe charts, the DTC charts, and the detailed per-DTC sections are for and where to find each. It's worth doing. If somebody finds the manual's organization confusing as a consequence of not having bothered to learn it, that's hardly the manual's fault.

#13 ChapmanF, Aug 30, 2022
  14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe @SFO will see this and share what each of the P3000's 5 subcodes mean in the manual and how to diagnose them? That would be a valuable contribution to this conversation.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I guess it is five, isn't it? I said six back in post #9, but then I listed, umm, five, along with what they mean.

All I did was copy that info from the repair manual, which is the same thing SFO posts sections from, so the rest of the information is right where anyone who looks would expect to find it, whether SFO later posts the entire sections or not.

Smushed onto a proverb, SFO can give out individual fish to people who have codes they want to understand. Learning where to find the information in the manual is more learning to fish; you eat for a lifetime.

The procedures in those sections aren't very grand. The general battery, HV fuse, and cooling system subcodes are all fixed by repairing the indicated item, then rescanning for codes, and replacing the ECU if you're sure the problem's fixed but the code's still there.

The discharge control and voltage drop subcodes are fixed by making sure there's fuel and the battery can start the engine, then running in READY long enough to recharge it, or replacing the battery if it's too pooped to crank.

#15 ChapmanF, Aug 30, 2022
    dolj likes this.
  16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another proverb that seems apt is, "There are none so blind as those who will not see."