1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Toyota plan to make a better Prius after the 2012 PHV?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Douglaspen, Mar 16, 2011.

1. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really think it will become standard at some point.

If you listen to some of the PHV guys (that got to use them for a while) the PHV gets better mileage in CS mode than regular prius gets now. In theory you could buy one, never plug it in, and get better economy than a regular prius.

Then realize chargers are going in all over, city parking garages, mall shopping centers, grocery stores, and workplaces. At 240 v (standard level 2 needed for the larger EVs) a PHV will fully charge in about an hour. You won't need a garage to get good regular utility from the plug.

Would it actually offend you to have the ability to plug your prius in to the extent that you wouldn't buy one if that is all that was offered? Most consumers are going to see it as a value add.

Maybe they'll add a plug removal retro-fit as an option?

chughes123 and radiocycle like this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am with gwmort for this. There will be public charging stations. I am starting to see here. Opportunity chargings are what Prius PHV is made for. Charge often and save the cost of a big battery.

If the city traffic only allow average speed of 14 MPH, you can drive on the battery for an hour. Charge it back up in 1.5 hours with the 240v charger while you are shopping, dining or watching movie.

1 person likes this.
  3. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As an aside, I 'd like to point out that 110v infrastructure is everywhere, there are more 110v plugs in the U.S. than there are gas stations. Its become sort of a game to my family to pull into a parking lot or garage and start searching for plugs. We always ask before plugging in , but haven't been turned down yet, and just asking gives me a good opportunity to chat about my car (one of my favorite past times).

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    oh great ... more plug in's ... blocking access to charge ports that EV's need, just to get home.
    ;)
    but - on a serious note - I have an EV protocal sign I made up stating WHEN another can unplug me ... as well as my phone # on it ... trying to help others who may need to plug in after me. I hope something like that becomes standard on plug-in drivers own volition ... and that it doesn't come down to different municipalities having to "force" EV'rs / PHEV'rs to do the right thing.

1 person likes this.
  5. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than a 110 v outlets I find in various parking garages or lots I have never used a dedicated "EV charging station", but I do hope when they become widely available in my area that similar protocols are followed. I would personally never be offended to find a Leaf (or other BEV) had unplugged my Volt to charge itself, but I probably would if it were another PHEV or if the establishment had charged me for the charging time.

Of course in California right now its technically illegal to charge a PHEV at a public EV charging station. (Doesn't quite make sense as that almost forces them to burn gas while driving home in the HOV lanes they only get to use because they don't burn gas.)

6. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't wait for the plug in just so I can recharge while watching hockey games (our arena has 2 chargers and as of right now they are never used).

chughes123 likes this.
  7. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Plugging in is gonna be so cool....

chughes123 likes this.