1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does tpms tire sensor need to be activated by a tool?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrimerman, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Woooo hoooo, thanks Tombukt2. I didn't have or find a pressure cooker but starting looking for plastic containers I can drill a hole in. I tried a sipper but it was too week. I tried some powder container but same issue. Then I tried an 8lb empty gun powder jug. It's pretty thin plastic but had a nice lid. It would only pressure up to 22 lbs at the most but pretty much maybe 18-20. I kept trying and trying then wondered what would happen if I press the set button. It never worked before probably because of the error code. Well wouldn't you know the tire light blinked. I turned on the techstream and sure enough the sensor was registering 68 degrees, 11 ish lbs of pressure and a new minimum pressure threshold like 9.6 since I hit the set switch. So it looks like if someone can get in the low 20s on pressure up and down that will kick on the switch. I realized I had a bug or water sprayer that hand pumps up to 40 psi but the screw hole was like 1mm too small =/ but luckily any plastic container will work that can hold some pressure. There was no gunpowder in the jug fyi =). Now time to install into the tire. I could have just installed but just in case the sensor didn't work or wasn't compatible that would have been a bigger headache.

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the usual approach is just to buy the known-compatible sensor, put it in the tire, pump it up, see it work, and drive away. Sure, there may be a tiny risk of receiving a dud sensor, but a person could spend a lot of time and effort protecting against tiny risks. I don't have a little chemistry set in the back seat to test what comes out of a gas pump before filling the tank. (And that's even after having gotten a watery-gas fillup once, back in the '80s, at a little backwater filling station in Wisconsin.)

3. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're sorta correct. Usually you need to goto the tire store pay a ton to have them install and program into your car then drive away.
    The diy usual approach is to buy one, use techstream to program into your car before putting in the tire. After that most people would probably drive to the tire install store and pay them to install it, then drive away and hopefully it works fine when you get back home to check on techstream.
    The diy diy not so usual approach is to buy then install using techstream then test to make sure its working fine using little time with what is laying around the house, then the scissor jack technique to open your tire and install yourself and cost is just the $14 for the sensor. The major amount of time is the installation into the tire at one's house so a smart person will spend the 10 min to make sure it works first. You don't sound very knowledgeable with things like that though.

Your example of testing gas is the silliest example of testing I've ever heard hehehe. I don't mean to sound mean just that of all things to test why would you care about testing gas when if they gave you water or anything harmful then 100s of cars would experience it at the same time and the gas station would me on the hook for big bucks and that truly would be a waste of time. I'm in Socal so more like 1000s of cars in a day. Activating a sensor with a easy diy hack before spending is literally nothing. I also make my own bullets, reload my own ammo, maintain my motorcycle and a bunch of other things "knowledgeable" guys tinker with so for you it might be an issue, for me it's not a big deal but I understand it might be complicated for others.

Also on a side note, the usual approach here is to say something if you have something to contribute. It's idiotic to waste your time to just cry about someone else coming up with a simple solution that others will want to know about. You literally wasted your time which you seem fine to do. I'm sure you'll want to do it again ;)

There are also entire discussions on how to trick the tpms system for people that swap out tires/rims from warm weather to cold weather sets. Many of them take sensors and build a pressurized container so that the warning light doesn't come when they swap rims and tires. Most of these people don't know how to use techsteam software or want to buy and install 4 new sensors. There are lots of discussions for all kinds of hacks. Mr Chapman you can probably talk to them also. They need your guidance.

#23 Jeffrimerman, Feb 8, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, just a matter of time invested vs. amount of risk averted. You may have just spent more time writing that 475-word post than any 50 people ever lost buying TPMS sensors that turned out to be duds. And that's not counting the time it took to gin up a test for the sensor. :)

But then, if it's a thing that's happened to you, I understand that changes things. I'll probably never install a caliper again without testing it on the bench first, because that avoids a risk that actually bit me once.

5. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup 10 min of time to avert a couple hrs of wasted time and probably a lot more in case the sensor didn't work then another couple hrs to install another. It was all of 10 min to type a response. And since you're also responding then time isn't really something you're concerned with either but seem to want to say your are for some reason. Yes 10 min to drill a hole in plastic and put the lid and and watch it activate. It was super gratifying to see but that's just me. I shared a technique anyone with a drill can do but not sure what your trying to help people with by saying don't spend 10 min to do it but you're fine with continuing to respond here. We both have plenty of time to chat hehe.

If you google you'll find all sorts of discussions where people tested all sorts of things before proceeding. It sounds like you do understand testing things so not sure why you even cared to respond and tell people not to test things before the larger commitment of time. Feel free to keep responding. I'm going to install the sensor now 100% knowing it works and is working already.