1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does using Carplay make a BIG difference over not using it ?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by GKL, Feb 21, 2020.

1. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    NOTE: We are still waiting on delivery of our 2020 Prius Prime so this is just research in advance.

While I am still holding out hope for the Prius Prime to eventually get an update to add "Android Auto" IF that doesn't happen I was wondering IF using Carplay would really make a BIG enough difference to justify buying a pricey iPhone ?

(my android phone is not that old and works great)

I guess part of it might depend on what programs any individual would use while driving.

Personally, the 2 main things I'm concerned about are:

1.) being able to make/receive phone calls hands-free thru the car audio.
    2.) using the maps/navigation feature built into the Infotainment system.

It is my understanding even my android phone can connect thru Bluetooth to enable me to make/receive calls hands-free thru the car audio.

As far as maps/navigation I can simply use the maps/navigation already built into the Infotainment system.

The other thing I hope I can do thru Bluetooth is:

3.) to hear/send text messages hands-free thru the audio.

So considering the 3 main things I'm concerned about being able to do I would hope I could do okay without having to buy an expensive iPhone.

2. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Yes you can do all of that through the built in bluetooth. Android auto would add full screen GPS with traffic support that actually works well, and some auto based apps (music, podcasts, etc.. stuff you already can listen through your phone as it is). If the 2021 prime has android auto, then it'll most likely be portable... guess we'll find out in a few months time.

GKL likes this.
  3. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, when you said "....then it'll most likely be portable...." are you meaning it can be available (portable) to the 2020 model or simply that you'll be able to plug-in your android phone via USB cable ?

Wish we could have waited for the 2021 model, but it's already going to take about 80-100 more days before delivery of our 2020 Prime, and if we waited months for the 2021 to be available then it would be another 90-120 after that to get that one delivered :LOL:

4. bongoman

bongoman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Question for US based drivers, has traffic data been available for anyone via HD Radio? There doesn't seem to be many radio stations in my area in Canada with this. That's one of my reasons for using Carplay so far.

Instead of buying a new iPhone I opted to buy a used iPhone that supported iOS 13, main rationale was that it was about the same price as a new iPod touch but larger capacity. You can also set Bluetooth preferences to use android phone for phone calls. I connect it via wifi through phone's hotspot now and then

GKL likes this.
  5. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm not familiar with traffic data being available via HD Radio, maybe someone else might know.

The used iPhone that supported iOS 13 you bought, was there a reason why you wanted iOS 13 specifically ? Is it more compatible with Carplay than other versions ?

Was the used iPhone in good shape and at a low price ?

(I really would prefer Android Auto, but MIGHT still consider a used iPhone)

6. bongoman

bongoman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    iOS 13 mainly because it's the current version, so they are actively developing features for it. Split screen dashboard with light/dark mode is nice to have. Apple really narrows the range of available apps in subtle ways between versions in a way Android doesn't especially when it's a lot more cumbersome to sideload stuff on an iPhone.

iPhone 7 was in decent shape battery was 88% capacity. There's a quirky lightning adapter audio out issue (for some reason it only accepts non-apple branded lightning to headphone adapters, a genuine adapter or apple lightning headphones aren't recognized on it). Most of the time use Bluetooth anyway but Carplay works on it, and it does sync with computer properly. It was about $300 CAD for a 128 GB model which has the same internal specs as a 7th generation iPod Touch but with a better camera and also has a GPS.

GKL likes this.
  7. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the detailed info, I'm used to paying only about $150 for a new android phone, so personally my budget isn't going want to pay more for a used iPhone :D I have seen used "renewed" iPhone 6s with 32GB on Amazon for as low as about in the $125 range, so IF I decided to buy a used iPhone it would need to be around that price but still need to be sure it is worth getting and would work with Carplay.

Toyota could make things so much easier if they'd simply add Android Auto :LOL:

#7 GKL, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  8. Jon Bloom

Jon Bloom Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Here in the northeast US, HD traffic is routinely available. That said, it doesn't seem to be terribly accurate. I frequently see roads I'm driving on that are moving just fine showing on the nav as having a traffic jam. Less often do I see jammed roads showing as clear. Because of this, the auto-rerouting sometimes offers to reroute you when there is really no need to do so.

Whether this is because the HD traffic data is just poor or whether it's a matter of delays in getting updates, I'm really not sure. But if I'm on a trip where my arrival time matters, I'll use Google Maps to check traffic.

Mavi, GKL and jerrymildred like this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same here. I'd say mine is wrong at least half the time. In fact, it often shows red backups on roads where there is not a singe car in sight. I just use the maps on my phone which is WAY closer to my line of sight than the outdated maps on the car's display.

GKL likes this.