1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does using Eco-mode increase battery wear?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by sevlillevik, Feb 13, 2011.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Generally speaking the EV mode is to be used only to move the car from the driveway to wash the car, in a parking lot when going from shop A to shop B (not when arriving to the mall - when you get there the battery is likely already full enough and the Prius will choose to stay in EV as long as the heat is not required for the cabin or the accelerator is not pressed too hard).
    Other usages are not required or necessary. Actually trying to force to use the battery might end up reducing the FE (Fuel Efficiency).
    Regarding the modes, you might want to read here on the Wiki. Essentially choose what you like best and stick to it/test it for best FE. It depends a lot on your driving style, traffic, roads, etc.

2. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I find the ECO mode helps me "feather" the pedal better, so that I'm in the area of the power band that I would like to maintain. On the few occasions that I've used "Normal" mode or "Power" mode, when I press the gas pedal, the bar shoots past the fat bands and into the Power band range quite quickly. Makes it harder to control my acceleration and maintain my throttle position.

As far as performance goes, if you want stiffer acceleration, leave it in ECO and mash the pedal more.

3. lghtclmbr

lghtclmbr New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pardon my ignorance as I am new to the forum and a Prius, but how would forcing the use of the battery lower FE? I have found that starting from a complete stop in PWR/EV actually helps me achieve 53mpg as opposed to 50mpg before trying this method. You have to allow the engine to warm up as it will not all allow you to stay in EV above 10mph at first. But once the engine is through it's warming stages, you can stay in PWR/EV up to 25mph, which in my mind allows you to save the gas required to get the car to that speed. By using PWR, I don't feel like I am holding up traffic as much, yet still maximizing my battery use.

Thoughts?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    See my answer in post #14 on this thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-use-electric-vehicle-mode-2.html#post1416045

Tom

5. Anomoly

Anomoly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not been using ECO mode at all and still been getting 49-54 mpg with a lot of mixed driving. This is about the exacct same as when I used to switch to ECO mode all the time (mainly on the freeway)

Sometimes i would forget I was in eco mode and get off the freeway, that gets dangerous if you need to accelerate quick...

I just leave it in normal mode for the most part now.

6. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I use ECO mode exclusively as it give better control over the throttle. You get the same acceleration as Normal mode when you want it ,just press the accelerator hard and off it goes. I do mixed driving but mostly highway and have 61 tanks under my belt now. Best tank was 64, worst was 54 (winter , slush and 4 snows...ugh). Lifetime avg is 57 at the pump. My last hybrid battery (2000 insight ) went 180,000 miles and was worked a lot harder than the Prius battery ever is. I expect the ECO mode will have no effect on battery life, the Prius software is very protective of the battery. What does seem to matter on the NI-MH batteries is periods of nonuse, strangely enough, daily use seems to keep them healthy.