1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does winter (cold) storage affect the batteries?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeri, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Jeri

Jeri New Member

Following the discussion on whether a Prius can make it up steep inclines, I told my spouse that we could just leave it in the garage during the winter. He insists this will damage the batteries. "Cars must be run or batteries build up sulfide or was it sulfite." Whatever; am I going to run into problems if the Prus doesn't get excercise frequently with temperatures between -5 to 20 + F?

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, you might want to start it every 2 or 3 months. Other than that, shouldn't be any issue at all.

Cold actually preserves battery chemistry by slowing the chemical reaction. The batteries don't provide as much power because of it, but it won't harm anything. When you start the car, as soon as the cabin warms up, the prius will pull warm cabin air back through the battery compartment to get them up to proper operating temp if necessary.

Dave

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would think that parking the car would do more damage than good. The computers will keep the battery optimally charged. I really believe that parking the car is a bad idea. This car is made to run, hot cold and other wise.

4. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's not a matter of parking it as much as a matter of if they can get it up an icy driveway or not...

But parking it won't harm it in the least. There's no way Toyota would release a vehicle that could be damaged by not using it (aside from starting every few months to keep batteries in charge)...

N.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Per the owner's manual and posts regarding the battery, you DON'T want to let the 12V get drained.

Further, I think as the battery charge declines, there is the possiblilty the electolyte can freeze and crack the battery case.

The NiMH battery isn't a problem.

If you are really going the garage it for the winter, take the 12V out and put it in the cellar where you can charge it now and then.