1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does [you] want the [you] tag consigned to the trash heap of annoying stuff?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rufaro, Jul 1, 2006.

?
  1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No. I am a complete doofus.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Are you guys absolutely finished. The joke was funny for about a nanosecond. I think richard schmacher should sh*tcan his name as it annoys me!

Jokes over!!! Where the f**k is a moderator when you need one!!

Please cancel my membership since this has become such a bash fest. Mystery Squid or should I say Mystery Skid have a great day. I am done

2. tlm

tlm New Member

What is the problem with being logged in as Priuslover65???? I am new to this site and don't have a lot of computer experience or experience with this site. I thought I would learn something from this site, but seem to have hit a hot button or something. Earlier there was something about winning a contest which I didn't understand at all!!! I almost thought there was someone else with the same profile!!! Please clue me in on what is going on??? Thanks.

3. powrfuel

powrfuel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Priuslover65 @ Jul 3 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]280769[/snapback]</div>
    I don'te get it.

4. marjam

marjam Member

Wait a minute? I am new to PriusChat and I use the name "marjam" because it is part of my email address and partly my initials. Should I change my name???? What is this thread all about or do I want to know?????

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay... it was funny the first 20 times, but it's getting ill, like riding on the spinny wheel thing at the playground too long. Mods, please remove the [ you ] tag. As you can see, the new users don't get it and are just frustrated by it.

New users: read this whole frickin' thread. you'll understand why we seem to keep talking about you. It's okay if you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, [you]. ;)

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it weren't obvious that we should get rid of [ you ] before... maybe it is now??? For me it isn't fun to see new members all ticked off the instant they show up. My god... this is out of hand. Is this still funny to some? How about to those of you over 13?

Get rid of it. But I'm still PriusChatter of the year, right?!

7. jackowens

jackowens New Member

Dear Friends,

I'm Jack Owens and haven't been back to the site for a while.

I was surprised to see a thread revolving around my name and my apparently having become controversial. I, too, don't understand the basis of the controversy. What is it? That I haven't been logging in or posting with sufficient frequency?

Regards,

Jack Owens :huh:

8. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 4 2006, 01:21 AM) [snapback]280917[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto from me. Becoming more like abuse than good fun. And Rufaro - I know this is the last thing you expected your thread to generate.

9. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cagemo @ Jul 4 2006, 06:16 AM) [snapback]280935[/snapback]</div>

you guys, it is a joke. Read the entire thread and you will get it. I, on the other hand just enjoy all the attention. Positive or negative it's great to be loved!! Ha

10. Prius313

Prius313 Member

It had me going for a second or two, before I realized it is a good joke. How the heck did they do that anyway? :blink:

PriusPaul

11. Swingshiftworker

Swingshiftworker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 1 2006, 02:55 AM) [snapback]279590[/snapback]</div>

Hello:

I just joined this website a few weeks ago after buying my Prius and have found a lot of useful information here. I use the tag "Swingshiftworker" and I'm not sure why the "tag" has generated all this hate mail.

If you do a search of my user name, you'll see that I've only posted one message about getting my HOV stickers. Nothing more.

The tag name refers to the fact that I have worked (and prefer to work) the evening swing shift (which is 3pm-11pm in my case).

I haven't disrespected anyone and I haven't used improper language or make any improper suggestions in my one post. So, what's the deal?

I'm confused about this and wold appreciate a simple explanation.

Thank-you.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swingshiftworker @ Jul 4 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]281061[/snapback]</div>
    I'll try one more time.l

The [ you ] tag simply replaces itself with your user name. I will magically put in your user name here: [you]. You now see your username... but I see mine. And others see theirs. So all these posts with your username in them appear that way ONLY to you. Anybody else viewing the thread sees only their user name. If you log out of Prius Chat you will see that your username no longer knows what to put there. NOBODY is actually talking about YOU. (except for the PC'er of the year thing where it was quite obviously meant for me).

So, again... if I type [ you ] without the spaces between the bracket and the word "you" it comes out as the username of whoever is logged on, like this: [you]

Make any sense yet? Happy to be rid of it now?

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 1 2006, 02:55 AM) [snapback]279590[/snapback]</div>
    There was a poor family over in Jackson County who were down to having nothin' but the family donkey. But they were desperate so they decided to sell the donkey and the father and son started walking to the jack to market at Fort Payne.

Along the way, they ran into a neighbor and explained what they were doing. The neighbor said,"Well you should at least ride the donkey to market and get that last bit of use." So the father put his son on the donkey and proceeded down the path.

Soon they ran into another neighbor and after explanations, the neighbor said,"Well what a heartless son to make your poor Dad have to walk the donkey to market." So they switched, the father riding and the son leading the way.

Sure enough, they ran into another neighbor and after hearing the story, the neighbor said,"What a mean old man to ride that donkey and make your son walk all the way to market." So they both got on the donkey and proceeded down the path.

They came upon another neighbor and after hearing the story, the neighbor said,"Look at how you've overloaded that poor donkey. His back is all swayed and his steps are faultering. You'll not get a cent in the market." So they both got off the donkey and picked it up to carry it down the path.

They had to cross a chain-bridge over a high chasm and the donkey looked over the side and got scared. It started to kick and buck and sure enough, it jumped out of their hands, over the side and died.

MORAL: If you listen to everyone, you'll lose your nice person.

So have a happy! I am. That tag sure can be annoying.

Bob Wilson

14. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay... i'll go with the reasoning for the [ you ] tag is to filter out the people that can't be bothered to read a manual or to read a few messages into this thread before jumping to the conclusion that we're after them.

That's right, [you]. I'm talking about you!

15. Swingshiftworker

Swingshiftworker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 4 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]281101[/snapback]</div>

OIC. I guess it's "funny" to the initiated, but a bit disconcerting to newbies like me. I've never seen anything like this done on other sites, (and I've been on quite a few), but am aware of it here now and won't bother to respond to similar posts in the future. Thanks for filling me in!

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If, and I do mean if anyone has taken the time to read the entire thread before knee-jerk reacting, they should understand the "trick" by this point. I do, however, have my doubts about [you].

There are actually a few very good uses for the (YOU) tag. For example, I moderate the Chicagoland Prius Group. There are about 60 people who I send PMs to. Each one is individually addressed via the (YOU) tag. Now granted, that's an extremely limited and almost trivial use, but I like it.

On the other hand, like many other gadgets and tricks, there is a fine line between having something, using something, and abusing something. Authors who use the (YOU) command in a manner such as I did at the end of the first paragraph know what they are doing and are fully aware that they are intentionally confusing others. Guns don't kill people; people who abuse the (YOU) command kill people.

Rufaro, I know that you are opposed to the (YOU) command. You have voiced that opinion previously. And I think you did an excellent job of abusing the (YOU) command twice in the title of this thread to rake up the confusion necessary to perpetuate your cause. Anyone as quick-witted and clever as you would know that a thread with a title as innocuous as "Should the (YOU) command be banned?" wouldn't receive as many replies and stir up as much emotion. Nice options, also, if the opinion of a doofus matters.

And I'm not singling you out, Rufaro. Most of the threads referenced by Theorist in post #2 were likewise intended to create confusion.

I am not in control of the programming of the board - that's Danny's role. Until he decides otherwise, the (YOU) command stays. But that does not make it right to shout (YOU) in a crowded theater.

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Jul 4 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]281107[/snapback]</div>
    Great story! Thank you for that. :D

18. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 5 2006, 06:07 AM) [snapback]281351[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Tony for spelling all this out. That is a BIG part of what has been missing in the discussion/war. I realized not very long after I titled the thread that I should have done it differently, but Rufaro screwed up. I also know that it is Danny who needs to see all of the hoo hah hereabouts, and have been trying to get his attention, to no avail. Perhaps Danny might consider making the tag available only on a limited basis, with the authorization of a moderator ONLY? So that doofi like me can't abuse it further? And whether or not you were being sarcastic with the "quick witted and clever" bit, as I type this, at the top of the box, the title says "Replying to Does [ you ] want the [ you ] tag consigned to the trash heap of annoying stuff?' It does NOT say [you] twice. I guess I kinda thought that'd be a pretty big clue.

I DO think that the registration process should include instructions on how to find the "help" system--which is not exactly easy to find for a lot of people--buried in a menu that in itself is not obvious, mainly, I suppose, to people who are not very BB experienced (like me, before, oh, about a week ago). AND the help topics in that help section very much need expansion, because they do not explain anywhere near enough to aid total newbies (again, like me). Cleverness and wits do not enter into it--the documentation isn't there for those who even do know the right questions to ask.

I truly apologize to anyone offended or put off by this mishegas, but I also think it has been valuable in highlighting a problem and in offering some possible solutions to that problem.

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No sarcasm intended. Either you've backed into what I thought were funny returns or I'm just readin' you all wrong. :lol:

20. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 5 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]281363[/snapback]</div>
    I thank you for all the explanations and I do not want to stop the fun some have in using this BB option. I just needed it explained. As with any cool computer "toy" some use it responsibly and some (I won't mention names) don't. I now know when to respond and when not to!

marjam