1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Your Prime have this Sticker about Reduced Load Capacity?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, Jun 9, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting. I like the All Weather floor mats (living in North Alabama) and as for the wheel locks, my camber fixes also involved replacing the locking lugs with after-market, lugs. But the cargo tray has me scratching my head?

Is that whatever converted the 'tray' from white to black?

Bob Wilson

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My Advanced is due in 3 weeks, with no added accessories (that I know of). I will be adding WT floor liners and something TBT to cover the rear deck. And perhaps a part-time spare donut wheel/tire. Question: If mine comes with no such reduced carrying capacity sticker, should I weigh my added accessories and then print up and place my own sticker in the doorway? (because I want to fit in with the group)

stevepea, HPrimeAdvanced and alexcue like this.
  3. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bob, it's possible that the cargo tray item is a misnomer for the cargo privacy curtain with its housing. I think that item might be an option in some models of the Prime, so it is itemized here, with a confusing name??!

4. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Premium all weather mats cargo tray and door edge guard. 7 KG/ 15 LBs

5. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They call it a cargo tray, but it's basically just a rubber "floor mat" for the back hatch area.
    Just what someone in 72F California "needs" forced on them -- all weather rubber floor mats ($$).

Tonight, I took them ALL out other than the driver's mat (the "cargo tray" in back is annoying, as it makes getting into the cubby hole where the charger and owners manuals go harder, moves around, and I don't need it). Also took out 3 of the 4 rubber floor mats -- and will probably eventually replace the driver's one with just a generic thin carpet one from Costco or other source, as another poster recommended. If you live where there's snow it's one thing, but I don't need the extra weight, don't like the look or feel of the ugly black rubber, and certainly don't need all-weather mats here in SoCal, esp for 1 person. Like the carpet much better. Will keep them in the storage, and can always put them back in 10 years from now if the carpet starts getting worn. Keeping only the driver's mat (only temporarily, until I get a nice carpet replacement).

One strange thing though: I lifted them ALL up together (minus the driver's side mat) just to feel how heavy they were... and... it could just be me, but it didn't seem to be anywhere NEAR 12-16lbs (more like maybe 4-5lbs). Maybe I'm Popeye.

6. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Change username to stevespinach. ;)

stevepea likes this.
  7. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am on the contrary, I love all weather mats even in So Cal. A few days ago water bottle I put in the back passenger floor leaked. Luckily all water was on top of the rubber mat. I love them when it's rainy shoes got wet no problem. We even replaced my wife Lexus RX350 and my daughter IS250 and Honda CRV carpet mats to all weather mats.

Prius from Dad likes this.
  8. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bob Comer and ArcPrime like this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well since I have a Curt receiver and a 2" adapter, I'm not so worried about their impact on useful load. After all, our family is just my wife and two dogs and we're not trying to take off from a small runway on a hot day.

Bob Wilson

10. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sure, there are uses for the all-weather mats I suppose, but for myself (just one person in warm SoCal), who doesn't usually carry motor oil, kids, or xylene in the car with him, just seems an overkill.

I was lucky: years ago, I found a nice plastic "dinner-tray" sized super-lightweight plastic tray that also has a 2-inch-high lip all around the whole perimeter -- and for years I've kept it on the ground in front of the passenger seat. I can put a large gallon jug of water on it, my lunch box on it, anything actually, and don't have to worry if anything leaks, because of the 2-inch high lip all around the perimeter. And then if I need to eat while driving (yeah, I know...) I take the stuff off it, put it on my lap, and it suddenly becomes a dinner tray. Any crumbs, spills, etc are easily contained (and really easy to shake out later). You don't really want to put a rubber floor mat on your lap... :) I've had the thing at least 15 years...

#30 stevepea, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  11. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    @stevepea, I live up in the foothills and those all weather mats are going to be a purchase soon. I constantly drag in oak leaves, which stick like glue from the sap and also cause they have the little barbs on the leaves to the regular carpet floor mats during certain times of the year, You know this last year it rained quite a bit, but even during the drought we tend to get more water than you guys by the beach. I'll drag in mud into those nice looking and expensive mats. The all weather mat will be just the ticket!

#31 alexcue, Jun 10, 2017
  12. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    :ROFLMAO:
    Just when you thought you'd seen it all.

My sticker indicates ONE pound reduction.

13. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe you have the alloy wheel locks (0.8lb) which would round up to "1 extra pound"

Or maybe it knows you're about to eat that 1/2 gallon of ice-cream!

HPrimeAdvanced and alexcue like this.
  14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OK, that's just not nice.
    WAY too close to the truth !!! :ROFLMAO:

stevepea and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  15. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Half gallon!! Man, what restraint!! How about a large hot fudge sundae from Baskin & Robbins !!. Yum, yum! You can tell I hit some 90° spots on the way to my sister's in Bakersfield!!

Hey, guys where should I report my trip mileage data for that Bakersfield trip??

YPizza, stevepea and joachimz like this.
  16. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I took out the heavy all-weather floor mats from my car the other night to save on weight... but know it won't matter much after that Lasagna dinner :)

And ironically, though the term still survives, if no one's noticed, there actually aren't any "1/2 gallons" anymore for ice-cream. Got replaced 10 years ago with smaller 1.75 or 1.5 containers, hoping people don't notice..

#36 stevepea, Jun 10, 2017
  17. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe we should have a thread "Long trip mileage" or something like that ...

18. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    how did you do down the grapevine? on my trip a few weeks back i gained ~11 EV miles with DRCC at 65 or so

19. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How about a "Here's my Trip Mileage Data for my Bakersfield Trip" thread?
    Have fun in Bakersfield! "Sun.. Fun.. Stay.. Play"

20. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is why I shop a lot at Costco. Their Kirkland Premium Vanilla comes in a half gallon, 64 ounce container and is excellent.