1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does your Prius rattle a lot?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by qbui, Dec 11, 2009.

1. mickeydawson

mickeydawson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep I agree mine a UK version rattles on the LHS of the dash so I guess there is something above the glovebox that rattles on low speed rough road surfaces. Suffice to say I pressed hard on the dash close to the display joint and the rattles stopped !
    However I can't find a reliable way to keep it quite even after pushing some rubber under the joint which lasted about two weeks then back to normal. I have also noticed its quiter as the temperature warms up. I guess nobody can make cars as good as the Germans regards rattles as prior to buying my Prius I was looking at the GM Insignia however after ALL the testdrive cars squeeked or rattled I decided not to buy, even the salesman said they can't seem to make cars like the Germans regards solid and quite.
    Don't know why its so hard as Mercs are made all over the world.
    Come on Toyota get your act together these cars are not cheap !

2. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems to be so much worse the colder it is... which makes sense, I guess. There are a lot of things that have to "line up" or mate with one another. It's not so different than any other car, I suppose - but as others have pointed out, it's likely at least in part due to how quite everything else in this car is (that the rattles get amplified).

I'm scheduled to take ours in on Monday to have it fitted with insulation in the dash and "flying bridge" under warranty. Fingers crossed!

-Iain

3. mickeydawson

mickeydawson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was this fix advised by Toyota i.e is it a recommended retrofit that we should all be having performed?

4. jayrider

jayrider Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I take my prius in for the 10k service, I'll tell them about the rattles in the glove box --- if they can't fix it--I'll live with it and buy something else next time. Ramping up the radio does work for the most part.

5. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure, but I'll ask.

The temperature isn't going to be very cold here tomorrow (hovering around freezing). I have a bad feeling they may not be able to reproduce the problem. :( Seems to only rattle horribly below -5c (which is still 5 months of the year).

-Iain

6. Lsegovic

Lsegovic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Some people don't seem to be so concern about the rattles in my case is driving me bananas! and is just getting worst!! now I have rattles in the doors and soon roof!! Toyota did a disaster with the new recyclable plastics! I don't see an easy fix and 2011 have the same problems, if there is a fix which I don't expect much would be for 2013 and now with the Japan tsunami there is a delay for everything!

I went and test drove the new Hyundai elantra 2011 and will wait until 2012 to switch the car and sell the 2010 Prius without loosing a lot of money, the Elantra is amazing looking and full loaded with navigation for 22K + Tax gives you 40MPG in highway and don't have to bother with so much hybrid components haaa and the 6 speed automatic gear box is amazing!

I don't know but hope one day Toyota realize what they need to do to fix their cars and give customers more for their money!

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove an Elantra.
    Nice car, but I could do without the styling (although this isn't a strong point for Priuses either!!)
    Toyota is going to have to do something about the interior for the G4!!!
    You can accept some interior creaks and groans from an $18,000 Corolla...which interestingly enough, is credited with having a VERY quiet interior for an econobox, but a $25,000-$35,000 car?
    No way.
    Gas just isn't that expensive (yet.)

8. Lsegovic

Lsegovic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I paid $30K + TAX for my 2010 Prius level 3 :( came with looks like 3rd party leather sits, Nav and solar/sunroof , then later I added the rear bumper protector and autodim mirror which I bought because of the home link without knowing you can't see the buttons in the dark!! same as the mirror control buttons! little details but bothers sometimes !! I got over all that since friends and people sold me the concept that Toyota uses that money of details into the mechanical parts to be more reliable

I was just looking yesterday how the new Chevy Volt interior looks like and MAN! My prius is like a design from the '80s with and ATARI 2600 as a main computer !!! Wow the VOLT has so many option and LCD color screens!! take a look ETC(SS) when you have a chance!

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Volt is out of my depth band I'm afraid.
    If I pay $45,000 for a car, then it's going to have to require Premium Unleaded, and be able to knock down a standing 1/4 in less than 13 seconds...:D

You're right about the Atari inspired MDF....but I can live with that. I'm even learning to tolerate the X-Box 360 steering...but the radio (II) is abysmal, the seats are pretty lame, and those squeaks!!! :mad:

10. luchinis

luchinis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

why didn't you buy a chevy volt for 40.000$ ?you get a lot of lcd color screen for 10.000 dollars:rolleyes:

11. luchinis

luchinis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No mine does not! :)

12. Lsegovic

Lsegovic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Website says starting $32K I guess the rest of adding NAV and other luxury stuff gets to $40K I don't know if I ever will paid again $30K+ for a car it makes more economical sense buying something around 20K and drive it until hit's the ground probably I'm getting old and cheap? LOL

13. tennisfreak

tennisfreak New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On a very very rough road whenever hitting a pothole I may hear a squeak or two but in general everyday driving my Prius is quiet as can be.

14. tiger64

tiger64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Although I have only had 2010 prius for about four weeks (500 miles), I have not noticed any rattles or squeaks except for the coins placed in the side door holder. I guess time will tell.

15. Jim E.

Jim E. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine does not squeak or rattle.

16. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine has a lot of rattles, which is really annoying since it's brand new.

17. EVPrii

EVPrii New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My Prius (2010 IV) is the quietest car I have ever driven or been in. Same with the one that my parents own (a 2008). It's also smooth as silk on the road.

I guess I got a lemon! :p