1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does your Prius shudder?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by xvs, Sep 10, 2009.

?
  1. Yes I notice at least a slight shudder

27 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. No, I don't notice it turning off at all

29 vote(s)
    51.8%
  1. SmellyPuppy

SmellyPuppy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I sporadically notice a shudder when the ICE turns on right after I turn the car on and even less frequently when it comes on or goes off while I'm driving. I actually appreciate it a little when I feel it because I am always wondering whether or not the ICE is on. (I wish there was an indicator on the HSI!)

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Buy a ScanGauge II from the PriusChat Shop:

PriusChat Shop : ScanGauge II Scan Tool + Digital Gauges + Trip Computers [ScanGaugeII] - $159.95

You can pick any 4 from a number of things to display. I usually have Tachometer, coolant temp, throttle position, and ignition timing for example. The tach is a sure way to tell if the ICE is running or not.

The ScanGauge is small and light and mounts nicely (with the supplied velcro) on the plastic piece between the steering wheel and the dash. You can run the cable up under the dash over to the ODB port in a couple of minutes. Comes with a good book.

Hint: Be sure to set fuel type to hybrid to keep it from going to sleep when the ICE shuts down but the car is still running.

3. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So is this something I should take the car back to the dealer for? It looks like less than 1/2 Priuses have this issue. I wonder if it could indicate a problem with the engine.

4. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Please re-read the various posts in response to your initial question. There is not a problem with the engine or the design of the ICE or HSD.

It is possible there is a problem with your Prius, but I sincerely doubt it. Your dealership should be willing to look at it for you or with you. They should then be able to provide at least an initial response.

If you continue to worry about this, please keep a notebook with you in the car so that you can record mileage, time of day, odometer reading and termperature. These things are fairly easily found and recorded, and the opportunity to review them will give you a chance to help correct or repair somethinh having to do with the GenIII Prius.