1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does your Toyota Prius integrated backup camera display a mirror image of text while in reverse?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by FF/Medic, Sep 29, 2016.

1. FF/Medic

FF/Medic Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is my first post on Prius Chat since I purchased my first Toyota 2016 Prius trim level four this February. My previous car was a Bonneville SSEi.

When this Prius is in reverse, the integrated backup camera displays reversed text just as if you were looking in a mirror. However, in both the 2016 and 2017 Toyota factory marketing literature, the “integrated backup camera” feature has a published photo with normal reading text which says “PIV BUILDING A”. However, when I view the display while my Prius is in reverse, only a mirror image is displayed.

Because of other vehicle software issues such as a constantly rebooting navigation system, I contacted Toyota Customer Service at 800-331-4331. Toyota said to visit a dealer. After waiting over six months for Toyota to correct the software so their navigation system would quit rebooting constantly, the dealer advises it is normal for the backup camera to display a mirror image. The Toyota sales literature shows otherwise and does not have a disclosure that the image was simulated. My control head does not say JBL on it but this Prius Four has the advanced technology package. Attached below is the photo from the Prius sales literature.

Two questions for Prius owners:

1. As the 2016 and 2017 sales literature is inaccurate and there is no user or dealer settable option to correct the display of the rear view monitor system described in the Prius owner’s manual, what factory technical reference should customers use to understand if their Toyota Prius is operating correctly?

2. Does your Toyota Prius backup camera display a mirror image while your vehicle is in reverse?

Attached Files:

#1 FF/Medic, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Isn't it supposed to work the same as an actual mirror? That's the way most (OK, all) of us learned to drive by looking in a rear view mirror. To reverse that would see a lot of drivers trying to avoid something and then accidently run right into it.

3. stanigu

stanigu Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, that would be extremely confusing. I'm sure Toyota made the literature to make it look more "natural", although in reality it's inaccurate.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i have read about the rebooting problem, that is unacceptable. i will have to check my 2012 back up cam, i've never noticed.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes of course it is mirrored. It is not a "rear view camera" it is really just a "rear view mirror via camera and LCD". If it was not mirrored, then what you saw on the left of the screen would actually be on the right side of the car, and visa versa. Stuff on the right of the screen would be on the left of the car. You'd hit something right away.

And how do you know it is simulated in the manual? (Probably is but still) It is very common to have mirrored text just so that it is re-mirrored when you look at it in a... mirror!

This is what an ambulance looks like when you are infront of it looking at it with your own eyeballs:

[​IMG]

Notice how the license plate is obviously in standard left to right as is the small text on the siren/light bar. But the big words are mirrored.

That's so that when you look at it in your mirror, you see right away what it is.

[​IMG]

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is mirrored - I never noticed till now.

But what I did notice was how poor the quality is compared with a mirror - I even went back and wiped the camera which improved it a bit - maybe I need something better than water and tissue to clean it.
    20160930_124733-1.jpg
    20160930_124626-1.jpg

FF/Medic and RCO like this.
  7. grape808

grape808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I never had a backup camera to compare with, but my mom said mine is much clearer and detailed than her 2014 Corolla's.

I've finally figured out how to use it without taking forever to reverse--just thinking of it as a rear view mirror replacement, and moving my eyes between it, my side views, and turning my head for my blind spots. For the longest time I didn't know where to fit it in.

bachxstar likes this.
  8. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sales literature is created well in advance of having a finished product. The images are faked.

Why would you want the image not mirrored? It would be useless as a backup camera.

Jim Swainamer and FF/Medic like this.
  9. FF/Medic

FF/Medic Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree that sales literature is created in advance. That is why I waited for the 2017 literature to see if a disclosure was added. Until you told me, I never knew Toyota uses fake images in their sales literature. Toyota used the same photo in their 2016 and 2017 sales literature. When my Prius audio/navigation system took over six months to repair regarding the rebooting problem, I was told the camera issue and speed warning indicator is linked to the same software. After more than six months Toyota had a remedy to correct the constant rebooting problem. Then a few weeks later they forced a mandatory software update which crippled the ability for Pandora to work correctly on the audio/navigation system. I hope Toyota will not require another six months to fix this software issue or replace the recalled front passenger airbag which may have been improperly welded and/or misassembled.

As I firefighter, I like the option of being able to read a warning sign like I find in industrial locations where hazardous materials are used. I can stay in my vehicle with the windows up with ventilation on recirculate as an added safety precaution. It is much easier to read a warning sign when the text is not displayed as a mirror image.

I also notice the Prius speed warning indicator turns on and off at different speeds. For example, if the speed of the road is 50 MPH, the red border turns on at 50 MPH but will not turn off unless you reduce speed to 48 MPH. I would think the speed warning should turn on when you exceed the posted speed and turn off when you are at or below the posted speed. I rely on the sales literature and owners manual to determine if this is normal operation.

After 11,000 miles of driving, my pedestrian detection system has never successfully detected a pedestrian under driving conditions which meet the criteria for a warning. I did get brake alerts in error when large trucks made a turn far ahead of my Prius. It is difficult to determine if this is a software bug as the dealer can only advise if the pre-collision system is system is on or off.

#9 FF/Medic, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  10. FF/Medic

FF/Medic Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for adding the photos. The image displayed has much lower resolution than my 2016 Prius. Maybe Toyota improved the camera system to give high definition (HD) resolution.

11. FF/Medic

FF/Medic Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The word ambulance written in a mirror image so it can be recognized when viewed in the drivers' mirror. It is written both ways for quick emergency vehicle identification.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did the bonneville rear cam not do mirror imaging?

13. FF/Medic

FF/Medic Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Pontiac Bonneville did not have a rear camera, but it did have a supercharger.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like you bought the wrong car?

15. FF/Medic

FF/Medic Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Fortunately, the Prius fits my current driving needs and is used as a business vehicle.

16. grape808

grape808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seems like if you use it for work and cameras with regular video feed are useful, it would make sense to have dash cameras installed.

FF/Medic likes this.
  17. FF/Medic

FF/Medic Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good idea. I will ask other people at work if they want to add an extra camera.

18. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I agree with others here that the review camera in my 2014 Prius (and previously, my 2006) are indeed mirrored and it would be difficult to use if it were not.

Case in point, I have a 2-channel BlackVue dash camera installed in my PiP - which does NOT mirror the rear channel - and anytime I review rear footage, the left/right throws me since I am used to seeing rear video being mirrored. It's really strange seeing it non-mirrored, however in fairness it could be very much habit of over 10+ years of having a mirrored rear view cam...

19. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    You can adjust this setting (or at least we can in the UK), under the vehicle settings - I've set it to 3mph over, so it doesn't turn red until then, and goes back to "normal" if only 1 mph over.

20. FF/Medic

FF/Medic Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That feature would be useful. In my 2016 Prius Four with AT package built in January 2016 and sold in the United States, that software apparently doesn't exist. Can you set your speed warning to turn on and off at two different speeds?