1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dog barrier search

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by David Lack, May 6, 2013.

1. David Lack

David Lack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am picking up my new Prius v on Wednesday. One thing I am wondering, does anyone have a dog barrier that they would recommend for the very back? I have a seven seater and the dog will most likely be back there with the seats folded down most of the time.

I was looking for something easy on and off, like a cargo mat netting that could be hooked on.

Thoguhts?

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking for one too. I have one that I used in one of my previous SUV's and it works okay, but such a pain to put in and take out. Once I get to my destination and stay for a week, I end up leaving it in and tell everyone we have to use their car because they can't get into the back seat.

3. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got a canvas dog crate from Petco which I really like. I keep my back seat folded down most of the time. I was using a metal crate which was heavy and hard to use. Also by the time I finished a trip with two dogs the whole car would have dog hair in it. Got tired of the cleaning. This canvas crate is lightweight and folds flat in two minutes. It keeps most of the dog hair inside it. Here is the link
    Petco Sof-Krate Indoor/Outdoor Pet Homes at Petco

4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If a barrier is hard to find, have you considered a dog harness with a tether? Not sure if you have anchor floor points in your v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon), but we use this system in our Gen II. It works very well.

Just a suggestion.

DBCassidy

5. DragonflyDM

DragonflyDM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I use a few things. I use the dog nylon canvas over the seats to protect them from the dog. I also found this product at PetCo-- it slips over the front seats and lays down over the foot space in the back seats, making it a total flat suface. It also has a section that prevents my dog from walking between the front seats and getting up in the driving area.

And this is what I do. ---
    1. Put the nylon canvas down in the back seat and again in the cargo area.
    2. I put a no spill bowl of water near the rear hatch door in the back.
    3. I put a dog pillow in the back.
    4. I have the dog barrier up that covers the foot area and prevents the dog from coming up front.
    5. I lower the 40% back seat and leave the 60% seat up.
    6. Now my dog can go into the cargo area to lay down or walk up and get into the back seat to stick his head out the window
    7. The water bowl is there to hydrate
    8. The foot space is great storage to keep away from the dog (we put our skate gear down there and food)

You may not need to do all this but I have a big dog that travels with me A LOT.

[​IMG]

6. Pangaeus

Pangaeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am picking up my prius on Saturday and want to have the dog barrier ready to go. Is there a mesh one that will separate the cargo from the back seat? I want to keep her out of the main car area- she has ALOT of fuzz

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

There aren't any barriers that anyone has really raved about, they're all "universal" adjustable type barriers. Most of them will leave some sort of marks on the sides or headliner. I just put the back seats down and got a 4x6 rubber mat/rug to put down over the entire back area.

8. BubbleDogs

BubbleDogs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have two crates in the cargo area - the reason why I got the v. I am afraid to use the barrier of any sorts as there is a gap between the back seat and the rear cargo area that can be dangerous to the dogs.

9. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  10. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You must not only guarantee that your dog is safely secured, you must also be sure that too much hair is not going into the hybrid battery cooling fan vent.

11. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

This K&H Quilted Cargo Cover works great for me.

12. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    ^
    +1
    Me and the dogs love our H&K cover too.

13. somainer

somainer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I looked around quite a bit, and settled on this for our new Prius v - it's the Petego K9CarKeeper car barrier

IMG_1093.jpg

PROS: It can be installed or removed in minutes, simply by tightening or loosening the two big knobs on the bottom of the frame. Because it attaches to the headrest posts, it won't impact the headliner nor be prone to falling over (like the compression types sometimes do) - and if setup like pictured here (attached just to the posts on the 2/3 seat; note how it is not centered in the car, but rather shifted as far right as it will go) then one can independently recline the two back seats, and even fold the 1/3 seat totally down without having to remove the barrier (e.g., to haul a long item like skis).

CONS: It rattles a bit on secondary roads. And probably wouldn't hold off a strong, aggressive dog... but it works fine for keeping our gentle Lab out of the back seat area.

IMG_1089.jpg

jhinsc, tomtoy and Chazz8 like this.
  14. tomtoy

tomtoy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
  15. somainer

somainer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Probably took 15-20 minutes to put it together and install it the first time... But once you have adjusted the height and width, subsequent removal or installation literally takes just a few minutes. To remove, you simply loosen the two large knobs on the bottom frame (visible in the first pic in my post), which removes tension on the small hooks that wrap around the headrest post (visible in the second pic), thus allowing you to detach barrier from the headrest. To re-attach, you just hold the barrier in place, wrap the hooks around the headrest posts, and tighten the two knobs.

If you search YouTube for "K9K Universal Dog Vehicle Barrier" you can see a vid by a company called the Dog Outdoors which shows the installation procedure (I would post link but as a noob to the forum am not yet allowed).

16. grifpond

grifpond New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) does have tether anchors in the seat (as has been required of all cars for several years). In the Prius v, they are zipped inside a seam. Look for the plastic buttons at the base of the seat back. There's a seam in the seat, just below each button. Spread it apart with your fingers and you will find the well-hidden zipper. Unzip, insert your fingers into the gap, and there is your anchor. I tired to find it on my own, and finally googled it. I never could have found it otherwise.

17. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  18. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I emailed travall. They don't have anything for a prius v. I ordered a Petego Kar 9 Keeper from Amazon.

My sister has one of these, it's not bad. I prefer the travall, but they don't have it. I use a solid barrier, cause I don't want my dogs to fly around in an accident. It would be better to crate them, a friend has a double variocage that works, but they are *very* expensive, and not really removable without a lot of trouble.