1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Doing Major Maintenance on 2010 IV Input Needed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by woody23, Aug 1, 2022.

1. woody23

woody23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2010 IV with 178k miles on it. Purchased at 90k miles. I've owned it 7 years. Burns about 1 quart of oil every 5k miles. Was worse but I think BK44 improved it a bit.

MPG on this car has always been 45 in summer, 40 in winter. After cleaning EGR, highway mpg is great 55ish, but city driving is pretty bad, low 40s, bringing my combined to 48 ish.

Entire EGR assembly was just cleaned, fairly dirty. EGR pipe on one end was completely caked with soot.

Next I'm going to clean intake manifold and throttle body. I had PCV valve replaced at 120k miles but will do it again when I do the manifold. Too early?

Then the 12v battery is a good 6 years old - it's an optima yellow top (made in Mexico) and I'm thinking now would be a good time to change that. I'm getting quotes of $230-250 for the battery at dealers -- which seems to be better price than anything online.

Hybrid battery fan- going to dig into that soon and see if it's dirty. Previous owner had dogs so I'm a little worried as it's never been done.

Transmission fluid- drained and filled at 93k miles. I think this seems like a good idea again? Dealers are quoting me $200 but I found one that will do it for $57 if I am supplying the fluid (official Toyota) so that seems like a no brainer to me.

Brake fluid drain and fill- Most dealers quoting me $130-150, but one dealer told me they never do it on Priuses and it's not recommended? When I look at the fluid in mine after it's been driven, It's yellowish on the right side but definitely darker on the left side so I'm thinking it's due.

Front brakes- mine are at 4mm and due soon. Seems like an easy job but I don't have a jack right now so I'm willing to get it done at a dealer. Getting quotes of $450 (if they just have to grind the rotors) vs nearly $600 with new rotors. I again asked a dealer what the cost would be if I supplied the pads and rotors myself and got a quote of $220, so that is appealing to me.

Any suggestions or feedback would be great. I want the car to last another 5 years and get to 250k.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're right on target. what's the min brake pad thickness, they might last a long time.
    are you changing the oil every 5k?

take a look at the maintenance schedule. i'd be shocked if brake fluid isn't on there

woody23 likes this.
  3. woody23

woody23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for your input!

3mm min brake pad thickness I'm told.

I am changing the oil every 5k since 140 or 150k miles. (Wish I would have done it from the start)

I don't see brake fluid on the maintenance schedule but I think quite a few gen 3 owners do it as a preventative measure.

bisco likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Both my threes have dot five in it I think and a 200 and some thousand miles to brake fluid was the same color in the reservoirs it was put in when it left the dealer as it still is today I added a little bleeding the brakes not too long ago but that's it I wouldn't touch it soon as you do the actuator master cylinder whatever the part will go bad and all the lights will come on and change the pads all you want rotors and pads are cheap 15 minutes and axle to slap on

woody23 likes this.
  5. woody23

woody23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So just change the pads and rotors but do not drain the brake fluid?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota USA makes no mention, but:

Toyota Canada recommends to change brake fluid tri-yearly or 48k kms (30k miles), whichever comes first. I think with very low mileage it’s ok to stretch a year or two.

7. tellyourdogisaidhi

tellyourdogisaidhi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i would invest in a half decent jack and do the brakes myself and save a lot of money. 3 ton low profile daytona is less than 150 at harbor freight with the 20% off coupon. 3.25 to 20 inch lift too.