1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Doing some research....

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by maunny, Jan 13, 2017.

1. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The drivers seat is heated 8 way not 10 way.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you show you any documentation on that? Was it in the Owner's Manual or Warranty Booklet for example?

Toyota sadly takes a similar stance. Excerpt from my 2010's Owner's Manual:

upload_2017-1-14_19-25-7.png

My experience with about 35 years with Honda: they all went through a little oil, about a pint would be needed to top up, about halfway through an oil interval. Never seemed to get any worse though, nothing like yours.

And our 2010 Prius doesn't seem to consume any, though the oil change interval I'm doing is pretty short.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    True, but I believe dropping below a four will cost you the power driver's seat. Although many have said the seat comfort is improved on the 2016s vs the gen 3 (mine is a 2012 and I have a four, my seat is good for me)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2016 Prius has just won safest car of the year in UK's What Car magazine! (y)

Prodigyplace and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any online link?

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On the reliability front, I just saw that Consumer Reports has ranked the Prius as the most reliable car in its rankings. As for comfort, I agree that's you'll have to put your own keester in the seat and see for yourself. :) 10 Most Reliable Cars - Consumer Reports

'LectroFuel, RCO and Neohippy like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even Consumer Reports did not like the seats. From your link:

But the seats are rather chintzy ...

'LectroFuel likes this.
  8. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    And tesla X is in the 10 least reliable.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Looking closer, it appears the feature that helped it win is either not available in the US or not on all models.

Our judges were particularly impressed with the Prius’s reverse AEB system, which comes as standard on most models. The system can detect objects — whether that be pedestrians or other cars — behind the Prius. This helps when reversing out of a tight parking space, and could stop accidents, because a quarter of all crashes in the UK involve reversing. When Euro NCAP tested the car, they awarded this AEB system maximum points.

From What Car? Car of the Year Awards 2017 | Toyota Prius

11. maunny

maunny New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Persona
    Another thing that is very appealing about this Prius is the long term savings this car can produce. With how expensive life is, that potential "retirement" is basically in our own hands that for people who keep their vehicles for the long term this can be a great expense savor. I told my wife the other day, yesterday in fact, that I love comfort, I love the giddyup and go; but, not at the expense of delaying retirement. Between the GMC Envoy and now this oil consumption issue with the 2011 Acura MDX, we just can't afford to be buying these vehicles that just end up not being reliable, costing dollars. In this day and age, I find unreliability, whether it's mechanical or environmental to be unacceptable. And burning oil is not only mechanically unacceptable, it's environmentally unacceptable on all levels.

(Btw, my wife is really against this route, the Prius. But level heads always prevail! lol)

I have to do the math, but I probably spend 2500 in gas per year, just on my car

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends how you count it. It's 10-way if you include the 2-way adjustable lumbar support. It's not consistent in the industry.

RCO likes this.
  13. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a screenshot of CR talking about the seats:
    Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 10.25.58 AM.png
    IMHO, everything they said is true except for the padding on the door. They use enough padding.
    Oh, I was looking at the Toyota website and it said 8 way including the lumbar.

RCO likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh I see. Yeah that shouldn't be.

For clarity (for future readers)

8-way includes:

Fore/aft
    Recline up/down
    Seat cushion height up/down
    Seat cushion tilt up/down

The 2-way power lumbar support makes the total 10-way for the Prius/Prius Prime.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  15. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which is really a crazy way to measure it - but car makers have always been one to exaggerate claims.

e.g. If it goes forward/backward - I'd call that ONE adjustment - you can't possibly have one without the other.

5 would be my maximum measure.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  16. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In reality, some oil use isn't unreliability. The car HAS to use some oil. And your usage is minor compared with cars of decades ago. I remember where you'd change the oil every 1000 miles - on our old Austin, it was at the bottom of the dipstick by then.

Environmentally, using say 35 gallons of petrol + 1 quart of engine oil per 1000 miles - the amount of oil is infinitesimal compared with the petrol burned.

I'd suggest forget the oil issue - it's barely an issue overall. I suspect it's more the question of whether you want a new car. Yes, you can argue it on fuel savings (depends on the fuel price). I took into case a number of factors including greater safety, I wanted to go from a sedan to a hatchback - but mostly, because I normally change cars every 3-4 years once the warranty has run out.

RCO likes this.
  17. maunny

maunny New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Persona
    I understand some oil usage is normal but when my engine oil light comes on before I get to the next scheduled oil change, something is wrong and unacceptable. And we cannot compare a decades old automobile to today's cars, technology has changed too much.

Basically, this oil consumption issue has made me begin my research to something different other then the SUV route, and through a little research and some reviews it lead me to the Prius that I find very unique compared to what's out on the market. I made the mistake of not asking questions and doing my own due diligence over the Internet--I based my decision on having great luck with my wife's 13 plus year old MDX and my father/step-mother driving Honda/Acura products since 1983 with no issues. I was wrong, a simple search shows Acura is having major issues with various models from 2009 to 2013/14 and that Honda lost a class action lawsuit with the same oil consumption problems involving the same years on various models within their line up affecting over 1.5 million Honda's, that we know about. Excessive oil consumption is a major problem that can and will cause certain vehicle components to breakdown prematurely.

RCO likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think if you buy a new prius and take good care of it, you'll have it a long time with few problems. (unless you're one of the unlucky few)
    if you buy pre owned, you'll have to live with whatever damage the previous owner(s) caused.

RCO and maunny like this.
  19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True but it's still two separate motions.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  20. Superior Monkey

Superior Monkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That oil consumption does seem pretty bad. I've owned two cars with turbos (which use oil to lubricate and cool the turbo, so have much higher oil consumption than most cars) and they'd make 5000 miles before needing maybe half a quart added. Which would get me into the 6-7K range before doing an oil change. My '98 Accord didn't even use half that much oil. With a regular engine I'd be distressed if it burned more than half a quart in 6K miles.

I have the fabric seats, and I spend a lot of time in them. I don't have issues with them at all. That said, I'm not a large person and I prefer stiff cushions. So YMMV on that one. The fuel savings is amazing, although you are paying quite a bit for the tech that makes is possible. So the value of that depends quite a bit on how much driving you do. I will say this, the hybrid system functions nearly indistinguishably from a regular engine. There's nothing you have to do differently due to the hybrid system, as far as driving goes. Other than be more careful in parking lots, because pedestrians will not hear you coming. Like close enough to reach out and touch them, and they haven't noticed you because you're basically silent. The car will try to teach you to be a smoother driver, but even if you change nothing about your driving style you'll get far better fuel consumption than a regular car.

alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.