1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Doing your own maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Coming from 3 decades of Honda ownership, my initial impression is that Toyota is more "right wing" regarding owners doing their own maintenance. Not night-and-day, but in various little things, what they say, and don't say, their cautions. My seat-of-pants impression is that Toyota is a bit further down the road towards "terse and fear mongering".
    From our salesman's cautions, through the omission of oil change instruction in the Owners Manual, to a recent response I got from Toyota Canada's Customer Interaction Centre, they all downplay self maintenance. The Customer Interaction Centre response says in part:

Uh, that leaves me feeling confused and wary. Was that the intent?

For a contrast, our 2006 Honda Civic Owners Manual does outline the oil change, and has the following statement, on page 183:

To be fair, I've heard the same intimations from Honda, maybe less strident, definitely loosening up over the years.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how other Toyota owners feel, and the experiences you've had:

1. Have you done your own maintenance from the very beginning?
    2. Went to the dealership for your first service, and then did your own thereafter?
    3. Done all (or most) maintenance to date done through the dealership?
    4. Done all (or most) maintenance to date through a third party?
    5. Other?
    6. Comments, impressions?

Just for the record, the first service for the 2010 Prius, at least as outlined in the Owners Manual we received in Canada, consists of:

a. replace engine oil & filter
    b. inspect engine air filter, replace as required
    c. lubricate locks, hinges & latches
    d. inspect lights, horns & wipers
    e. check coolant, brake & washer fluid levels
    f. inspect tire condition & pressure, including spare, rotate as needed

Getting the maintenance done by the dealership is not a sign of failure, LOL. For many owners it's the sensible route. But there are enthusiasts that enjoy doing the basic maintenance themselves, and are cautious and thorough. And there are folks in between, who are comfortable taking on some maintenance items, and leaving the major services to the dealer. It would be nice to see all camps accomodated ;)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're over thinking, relax and do whatever you're comfortable with.:)

Mendel Leisk and Tech_Guy like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good point. It's real early, common sense has not woken up yet, LOL.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always do self maintenance for the vehicles I purchase, and I do as many repairs as my limited talents and tools allow...which is rather a lot most of the time.
    If you arm yourself with a factory service manual, an internet connection, and a few hundred dollars in tools---plus a little patience and some common sense, you can save yourself a good bit of money this way.
    As trained and talented as the 'for-real' factory certified technicians are, YOU are almost always going to have more interest in making sure that the maintenance items are properly attended to in YOUR ride.
    This obviously doesn't work for everyone, which is why Harley Davidson, and Kawasaki dealerships routinely charge as much as $250 dollars for routine service visits, which usually amount to nothing more than an oil change and good visual inspection---just in case you think Prius operators are the only ones being charged premium rates for service...:D
    Factory Certified Techs are (usually) highly paid...and they're (usually) highly trained, and they have expensive tools and gollywog 'special' test equipment and are sometimes even highly talented. You gotta pay for that....if you want the 'pros' swinging wrenches on your ride.
    It's really not much of an issue for a Prius---which has a rather light maintenance schedule.
    If you can change your oil (or get it done), and check other vital fluids and filters---you're 'probably' not going to have major mechanical issues with this car either in the way of maintenance or repair...and if memory serves, Mama Yota usually sells this car with a maintenance package.
    Like I said....not much of an issue with this or almost any other car.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks ETC(SS).

I've been changing engine and transmission oil on our cars, off and on, for 30 years. Also replacing brake pads (like disk, hate drum, leave the latter for the dealer to do), changed coolant, and have done a few valve clearance checks. I've got the floor jacks, safety stands, tools, garage.

I've found a few gen II documents so far, and can see a raft of specialized tools are used for esoteric stuff, but I think the basics are still basics.

But this sentence from Toyota Canada's Customer Interaction Centre concerns me:

However, if a concern emerges and is related to the use of non-Toyota parts, and the fact that the work was not done at a Toyota dealership, repairs would not be covered by Toyota's New Vehicle Warranty.

This is nothing new, something I guess all the manufacturer's say in one form or another. To be fair, 100% dealer maintenance is likely the only way to leave a bullet-proof paper trail on maintenance, say if something major fails and there's a warranty claim.

Frustrating!

My usual M.O. with new car purchase is:

1. Go in for the initial oil and filter change. Maybe the next one, or two, services after that.

2. Get increasingly fed up with "shop charges", overfilled oil, air bled out of the tires, and just the general time/expense/hassle involved in having the dealer service.

3. Go back to doing my own basic stuff, maybe midway through the warranty period, and keeping in contact with the dealer for major items, say CV joint gone bad, or similar.

6. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do all my own maintenance on all my cars and my family cars. I am an ASE Master Tech now trying to transition out of the field. The only time I brought my Prius to the dealer was for an alignment issue immediately after buying it new, just to make sure there was no major structural issues with the car. The service advisor was condescending and talked to me like I knew nothing about cars, even after he found out my occupation. I can only imagine how the average person feels in that situation.

As to DIY maintenance in general, I find Toyota easier to work on than most other imports, and the Prius needs much less than most cars. The language in the statement shown by the OP is just another ploy to try and get you into the stealership so they can empty your wallet. They are going exactly as far as they can with the wording, with out violating Magnusen-Moss.
    Do what you feel comfortable with, and find a tech you can trust and talk to directly to do the rest.

7. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You may not have yet discovered that Toyota has self-maintenance procedures on their web site:

Do-It-Yourself | Toyota Owners Online

Perhaps Toyota needs to give more hugs. :grouphug:

2 people like this.
  8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Mendel, can you tell me how to change the cabin air filter in a 2007 Civic? Judging from the owner's manual it looks like a nightmare of inaccessible disassembly.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the link. The main positive I see on that site is an acknowledgement that owners can do an oil change (for example), as long as they are careful, follow the schedule, and fill in the log.

It's a generic instruction, doesn't have torque specs, makes no note of specifics like the 2010 Prius oil filter with reusable housing, but still an acknowledgment. ;)

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you having me on? ;)

I actually checked it first time while just sitting in the car waiting for my wife to choose some fabric or something, LOL. At least on our '06, I don't think there's any difference:

Open glove box, and empty out the contents. Press the 2 end walls inward and ease the glove box over and down past the cogs that normally stop it's dowward swing. You're now looking at the end of the Cabin Air Filter, and can pull it out.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Quite a lot of the normal repair items are still normal, one caution is that the 'bleeding the Brakes' is quite a bit more esoteric on the Prius due to the interaction of all the regeneration systems with friction braking. You may very well decide to let the dealer do that.

I let the dealer do everything, so far that has been $46 every 5000 miles. (the 2010 only needs an oil change every 10,000 miles, but the oil is costlier)

12. 02semiata

02semiata New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know I plan to do all the work myself once I get my prius.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd just like to add that I recently bought a 2010 Honda Fit...and I just think it's not so much a case of manufacturers not encouraging you to do your own maintenance as it is manfacturers encouraging you to continue to support their dealerships.

This I don't think is exclusive to Toyota or Honda. I mean the wording might be slightly different but Honda is just as "subliminally threatening" about the dangers of outside the Honda network repairs. For example...Honda warns against using any automotive fluids that aren't OEM. The Fit comes with a "Maintenance Minder" which is simply a dashboard light that will light and offer codes for Oil Changes and routine maintenances. You can reset it yourself...but it is strongly encouraged that you simply take it to the dealer and let them do the maintenance and reset the minder.

I simply don't think the encouragement to do maintenance within the automakers dealership network is necessarily a Honda, Toyota or any manufacturers domain..they all do it...and it's going to get worse.

I also think with new cars, you see more and more complication in layout or structure that makes self maintenance more daunting. Things aren't laid out to encourage self maintenance. The days of open and accessible, straight forward "engines" that aren't connected to sophisticated ECU's have passed.

I think the trade off are automobiles that are infinitely more efficient in operation than automobiles just 10-15 years ago, and automobiles that are much more capable of "telling you" when they have a problem. However when that code is thrown, the chances of being able to pop the hood, take a wrench and fix it yourself, are probably reduced.

I'm coming from a vehicle that was 15+ years old...and my observation is that so much in Auto Manual wording to actual engine layout and design, to ECU operation is designed to encourage dealership maintenance.

14. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They have to use that language for legal reasons. Say you use defective aftermarket filter that leaks and you lose oil and destroy engine, they don't want to pay $$$$ for that.

But, personally, I use only Toyota dealers for oil changes during warranty. Can't help but remember how Toyota treated people with non-Toyota oil change receipts during their oil sludge fiasco 10 years ago.

15. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is really useful ! TY:cheer2:

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you assure they use the correct oil?

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, 6mo/8000km service interval for oil change came up (still in effect in Canada), and I did the deed myself. The time governed, odometer was at 7022km. FWIW, the factory oil looked very dark, the filter element too: very dark and grungy.

It was a little hard to read the dipstick (the side near the front of engine usually better, less smeared) after refill. I did run the engine for a minute after putting in 4 liters, before going any further, to make sure the oil filter was filled. Settled on the recommended 4.2 liters, and that worked out perfect. Cold checked the next day, after a bit of a drive: level was roughly 4mm below full mark, just where I like it.

Both draining and filling, I took my time, let things drain till it was down to an isolated drip, and ditto for emptying the new bottles. Up here, Canadian Tire, for one, takes the used oil, empty oil bottles, and used filters. Mohawk Gas used to too (but no more), and their oil receptacle was better: you just poured your used oil container into their tank, so you could re-use it numerous times, less containers to deal with.

This is the first time we've had a car where just the filter element get's changed: a commendable throwback to days when it was more commonplace, I think.

I also made an effort to do the other items on the Canadian Service list: did the rounds of the hinges: applying a very light shot of some hinge lube I have, the kind that goes on liquid, then gels. It was given to me by the guy who serviced our garage door once, recommended for drive chains, rollers etc. If I've got something that will do the job, I like to use it up, rather than ending up with an ever growing collection of cans, that eventually end up in a landfill.

Also checked tire pressures, which I do very frequently, but anyway. Also fluids: all fine. The only item still to do: check all the signal lights, will do that when we're just getting home some night.

Anyway, went with Toyota's 0W20, very reasonably priced through the dealer, and the lady at the parts counter just said to be sure to keep the receipts, for the record. Of course I log everything, but it's nice to hear them say something down to earth, besides the usual doom-and-gloom about DIY.

I appreciate there are service items and repairs best left to the pros, brake fluid flush for example, as one responder mentioned. But it's nice to do some items yourself. ;)

18. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've always done my own maintenance. The FJ Cruiser I traded in on the Prius, I bought new and put 50K on. It was never in the dealers or any other garage.

19. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't follow your analogy. My guess is that Sarah Palin is more likely to do her own car maintenance than Nancy Pelosi. :peep:

20. Don3755

Don3755 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We just purchased our 12th Toyota and I have almost always done my own service. Of the three or four times that I had a professional do it, I was disappointed.
    Case in point, I just took our 2011 Prius into a GA dealership as we were not near our home in FL when the 5K alert came on. After some discussion about whether it needed an oil change at 5K or if was to wait until 10K, the service writer insisted that it didn't need to be done until 10K. I even called my dealer's service department and they agreed with the 10K figure. Then after they brought the car back out, the paperwork indicated that they did change the oil and filter. The service writer recovered from his confusion and said they went ahead and did it as I requested? It was free so I didn't complain, though after reading the receipt, I have to wonder if they really did everything they checked off on the report. One of the items checked was the belts??? Our Prius doesn't have any belts! Did they really check all of the fluids, brakes, rotate tires and change the oil and filter??? This car came with free Toyota Care service for the first 25K miles, or I would do it myself.
    I am just not sure how I feel about someone I don't know taking my car out of sight and trusting that they care as much about what they are working on as I do. Yes they have better tools, facility and training. But are they under pressure to get it done quickly and do they really care?