1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dollar coin

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Feb 12 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]389056[/snapback]</div>
    You forgot the half-crown, a big silver coin worth 2/6d (two shillings and sixpence). In my youth it was worth about one USA dollar and in fact my father always used its slang name "half a dollar". Incidentally a sixpence was a tanner and a shilling was a bob. A pound is still a quid.

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Our lowest-denomination note is £5 - about $10 at current exchange rates. And the bank has problems keeping those in circulation, as cash machines generally don't offer them.

Can't for the life of me think why you'd want to use a banknote for such a piddling amount as 50p/$1.

I imagine it means that all vending machines have to have note readers, even for trivial amounts of money. Inefficient, or what?

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah get rid of the paper dollar and replace it with a coin makes sence. and harder to counterfit...... :)

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Feb 13 2007, 05:45 AM) [snapback]389418[/snapback]</div>
    Well at least we still have the Imperial System for other measurements here in the USA: lbs, ozs, inches, feet, slugs, chains, rods...were those surveyor's chains or engineering chains, and were those fluid ounces or weight? What could be easier. Rather than put all of that effort into switching measurement systems, I'd like to see us put our time into slowing down or speeding up the earth's rotation. 365.25 days per year is just inconvenient; let's get it to something even and easily divisible, perhaps 360 days per year. If all of us living at high latitudes move toward the equator, that might do the trick. :rolleyes:

Tom

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Feb 13 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]389438[/snapback]</div>
    Since when is life supposed to make sense? :)

Let's shorten all months to 28 days, and have 13 of them. Our poor Moon must be very confused. Everybody gets the extra day and a bit off at the end of the year, and we won't even count it. And no more of this 'Oct'ober being the tenth month. Julius and Augustus have been dead for millennia - why should they still get the best months?

6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Feb 12 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]389027[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely correct. The penny applies here as well. Our reps should just DECIDE to do it to save tax dollars, then DO it. No one is going to revolt or not vote for someone because of this. We will all grumble, get used to it, and in a few years forget why we didn't like the change.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimCarlos @ Feb 13 2007, 01:27 AM) [snapback]389327[/snapback]</div>
    BLASPHEMER!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Feb 13 2007, 09:03 AM) [snapback]389438[/snapback]</div>
    But aren't you already metric with such things as film (35 mm etc), engine capacity (2 litre engine not 4 pints or x cubic inches!) the dollar (100 cents), your electrical fittings (1000 watts = a kw). Do your pharmacists not measure your pills and potions in grams or do they still use grains and drams, etc? (a dram is 1.772 grams)
    Make no mistake, metrication is coming your way even though it's a bit slow at present. Are the kids taught metric measures at school? That's the thin edge of the wedge.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Feb, 11:17 AM) [snapback]389626[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, many things are measured in metric as you say. I was taught metric as a kid and remember talk that the country would be converting within 10 years or something like that. That was a long time ago! Food containers had to be labeled with both English and metric units. Too bad they didn't carry all the way through with that.