1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dome light won't come on when I open door

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by caedward, Aug 18, 2015.

1. caedward

caedward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My dome light won't illuminate when I open any door. I converted the dome light, courtesy lights and map lights to LED's about a year ago. I re-installed the original bulb in the dome fixture to see if that would clear it up. Same thing. I can get the light to work if I switch it to "always on". I checked to make sure the dimmer switch on the dash was turned on, and it is. Any guesses?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried all five doors, not just the driver door?
    Have you tried all three (not just two) dome light switch positions?
    Do the front door puddle lamps still work?

4. caedward

caedward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I tried all 5 doors and the puddle lights come on when I open the door. I believe there are only two settings on the dome switch, at least on mine there is.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There should be three switch positions: Always OFF, Always ON, and ON with door open. This is been true of every car I've had since the mid-1980s, including my 2010 Prius II. (Earlier cars with two positions lacked the always-OFF choice, users could chose that by removing the bulb.) Do be aware that door switch position also has a delayed turn-off feature, so you will have to wait a bit to see it go out. Locking the car accelerates the turn-off.

On my Three with a sunroof, Right is Always On, Center is Always Off, and Left uses the door switch. Your Two without sunroof might have a different switch arrangement.

6. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like you moved the switch to "Always Off." And maybe missed the "On with door open" switch position. See fuzzy1's response that there should be 3 switch positions.

Mike

7. caedward

caedward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are only two positions on the switch: 1. On with door open, 2: On. I confirmed this with the Owners Manual.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang, you are right, my 2012 manual (page 355) also shows just two positions. But that hasn't prevented me from using three positions, with 'off' being in the center. I just verified that it works in mine, despite contradicting the manual. (That isn't the first known contradiction.)

While sitting in the car with a door open, is the light on for the switch at each extreme position, left and right? If not, then I'd first suspect a problem either with that switch in the dome light fixture, or in a wire leading up to it. There could also be a problem at the controller that creates the delayed turn off.

I've had door switches fail in previous cars. But because your front door puddle lights work, the door switches themselves must be working.

9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 1972 Subaru had the always-OFF position, and I doubt it was the first. American cars lacked that essential feature then (and maybe still do to this day, for all I know).

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is very odd, but o/p, i would take fuzzy's suggestion and fiddle with the switch. i've never owned a car without 3 positions.

11. Preebus Vee

Preebus Vee New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Check the switch up front by the driver overhead lights. It does have three settings which control all of the lights.

xtbell and bisco like this.
  12. xtbell

xtbell New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This was the answer for me. The overhead lights in the front had a 3-position switch and mine was turned to off,so I moved it to "doors open" and that was the fix. Thanks Preebus Vee!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Page 364, there's the 3 position switch:

upload_2019-1-24_18-16-45.png

I think ours is Type B