1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dome light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jiminredondo, Nov 11, 2005.

1. jiminredondo

jiminredondo New Member

This is my first post and I hope I am doing it correctly.

I have an 05 Prius. When I park and shut the car off, the dome lights come on inside the car. This annoys me because sometimes I am just parking and waiting to pick up one of my kids and I don't want the lights on. Is there a way to override this? I checked in the manual and found nothing.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Turning the switch to OFF?

Other options:

1) Go to ACC mode
    2) Lock all doors

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome, your post looks fine to me. Well there is the switch on the light itself. It has door, on, and off. If you turn it off the light will not come on when you open the door or shut down the car. The light in the back seat has the same switch. I don't know of a way to keep it from coming on when you shut down and still working when you open the door. Just have to use the switch I think.

Edit: tideland prius' answer is better than mine I didn't know that either-I think I really missed a lot in the owners manual I need to reread the whole thing

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I pop it into ACC mode (and listen to the radio). Alternatively, just wait - it'll go off again.

PS - why oh why oh why can't you go directly from READY to ACC?

5. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are staying in the car why bother to Power Off? I usually just set there and wait. Yes, the ICE will occasionally start but if you have nothing turned on the amount of fuel used is very small and it keeps the ICE/Exhaust at the right temperature so you don't take the big milage hit you get when doing a cold start (not a temerature cold start but a computer cold start).

Besides. I like to listen to the radio and I'd perfer not to have the 12V battery run down.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The radio uses very little power and will not drain the battery. Besides, the car will automatically shut itself down after 1 hour in ACC mode.

KMO, the only car I can think of right now that goes from "READY" (i.e. engine running) to ACC is the new 3 Series. When you pop the fob into the dash, it goes to ACC mode immediately. So, based on that I can assume that when you shut off the engine using the "Engine Start Stop" button, you'll go into ACC mode.

7. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    jiminredondo, if you want the interior lights to come on when you open the doors, but not come on when you turn the car off, ask your dealer to change the way the interior lights operate. With the hand scanner, the dealership can change setting "I/L ON/ACC OFF" which is described as "Function to light the interior light when the ignition switch is operated from ACC to LOCK." The choices for this setting are ON and OFF with the default as ON.