1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Domestic Wiretapping on an unprecedented scale

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by EricGo, May 11, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 11 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]253660[/snapback]</div>
    Don't worry, you can keep your guns. :)

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ACLU - let them go to Iran or Syria or Cuba and start protesting for BASIC LIBERTIES for those people - when they catch up to us then they can start slinging their stupidity here.

Lets give constitutional rights to terrorists - right? Habeus Corpus rights, etc? Totally nuts. Name one provision of the Patriot Act that has caused one American to lose one civil liberty that has done them harm - or had enough of a cause to be the basis of litigation?? I am sure the ACLU is still looking for one.

And the library issue - isn't it true one of the 9/11 wussies did a great deal of his "due diligence" from a library in the US??

You have nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide.

I want my President protecting me and this country - even if, IF, we do what we had to do during the Civil War or WWII. We had 8 years of doing nothing and letting our enemies grow strong and becoming emboldened as they hit us time and time again and Clinton did NOTHING (WTC I 1993, Embassy bombings, USS Cole, Somalia). Imagine if Clinton would have acted............. Maybe just maybe.......

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Imagine if Clinton would have acted............. Maybe just maybe.......
    . . . the liberals would have complained? Naaaaaaaaa. Back then it would have been politically incorrect. :rolleyes:

4. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 11 2006, 02:18 PM) [snapback]253601[/snapback]</div>
    LOL :lol:

Sisyphus needs a trusted messenger... :lol:

:)

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 11 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]253673[/snapback]</div>
    That is the refrain of every dictatorship and secret police ever founded.

In my opinion, the government should have no more access to information about my neighbor than I have, unless due process is discharged. I make NO distinction between recording who I called and what I said.

I have voip, that makes a digital file of every voicemail. Wait till the shrub learns about that. He'll wet his pants.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont have a problem with the government admitting to doing something that they have been doing behind our back for years

7. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 12 2006, 08:52 PM) [snapback]254560[/snapback]</div>
    This is probably the best way to look at this whole thing. It is unfortunate that our government spends so much time on the mundane and none on really important matters like making our country stronger from within.

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I am always amazed at, when these issues of domestic spying, wiretapping, the Patriot Act, etc., come up- how many righteous people proclaim, "I have nothing to hide!" Most of us mortals have some indiscretions, some embarrassing incident, or perhaps some frightening event that we would just rather let remain secret. For those of you who have no secrets to keep, no need for privacy- why don't you demonstrate your openness by posting your medical histories, financial records, emails, etc., here on PriusChat for everyone to peruse. For that matter, post your real name (mine's in my signature.) After all, you have nothing to hide, right?

But the government would not abuse that information, right? Tell that to Martin Luther King.

No one questions the government's right, indeed responsibility, to conduct surveillance against terrorists. But the Bush administration has repeatedly flouted the law and circumvented the minimal legal safeguards in place to protect privacy and civil liberties. There is a good reason why we have (or are supposed to have) Congressional oversight, and why we have a system of checks and balances. As someone suggested in another thread, go back and read the friggin' Constitution.