1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dometic Portable Lithium Battery 40Ah

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Haschwalt, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stumbled across this: Dometic Portable Lithium Battery 40Ah & seems to be something new for 2019.

I've been looking for a solution for running a compact sized 12V power efficient fridge/cooler & I plan to use a Dometic CFX-28 (with insulating cover) that I plan to stuff in the rear passenger foot well. I believe that the cooler handles have to be removed to fit there, and I'm not sure if the CFX28 can be used to support the head when sleeping at night (when the rear seat is down), but regardless, it will fit and work.

The CFX-28 uses .75Ah on 12V. This battery is 40Ah but really 32Ah meaning it should last about 1.78 days (give or take depending on real world conditions) assuming 80% Depth of discharge or DoD. But if you run it every night, it will recharge from the 12V DC cigarette lighter socket in about 5 hours. Tech support says that it supports 2000 cycles of charge/discharge, a cycle is from 100% down to 20%.

Why is this important? Because you don't want to run the car in ready mode during the day if you're not in it, since someone can break in and drive away with it (low risk sure, but not one worth taking especially in higher risk areas).

In any case, this seems to be an excellent alternative to having to wire a 2nd battery in parallel to the Toyota 12V battery, using a dedicated DC-DC charger setup, or attaching a fridge directly to the 12V starter battery which can both degrade the battery, and risk your car unable to start.

The only risks with this, imo, is that 1) it's expensive ~$850 2) If it breaks after 2 year warranty you're shit out of luck 3) If you need to charge a fridge for more than 2.22 days the 40Ah might not be enough but for most people who just need to have their Prius running a fridge for a day or two without killing their 12V starter battery, or taking up space with a 2nd 12V deep cycle Ah battery, the wiring that goes along with it, & the technical skill needed to mount/assemble it all, this is way simpler and effective imo.

The other nice thing is that you can add a solar panel to it, you don't need a controller for it to work, & you can charge from both the 12V socket AND solar panel at the same time. This way you can keep the battery topped during the day too! Now if anyone knows of any good 100-120W panels that can fit on the inside of the windshield to use this I'd love to know!

#1 Haschwalt, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you can buy a lot of ice for $849.99....

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    some people need something like this for full time prius dwelling so ice wouldn't be efficient

4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I would think if you are living in your Prius fulltime you are homeless and don't have $850 laying about. If I were living in my Prius, I wouldn't be concerned with cold food.

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you were homeless, you probably wouldn't be on Prius chat either! :)
    Or even have a Prius!

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, looks like it’s got a lithium iron phosphate battery… those are wonderfully durable compared to lithium ion. And more expensive, to prove it.

Ice would certainly be cheaper, but comes with the restriction of needing to be near somebody selling ice. A battery-backed refrigerator product is a way to monetize needing one fewer personal interaction: the ice sale.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    be careful charging it with the 12v, prius charging system is wimpy

8. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are numerous people that live in their car full time on purpose. There are people at Google that live in their cars/vans to save on rent. It doesn't meet the traditional definition of homeless. I, for instance, am a software dev, and don't really want to burn $1500-2k a month for rent, and I'm young enough where I can do it for a few months to pay off the car. Plus it doesn't tie you down to any one place.

RMB and bisco like this.
  9. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's capped at 8A into the lithium phosphate battery -& the fusebox is 15A on the DC socket. If it's on ready mode, the traction battery will recharge it whenever the battery gets too low.

bisco likes this.
  10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If somebody has to resort to full time Prius dwelling they certainly aren't gonna have an extra $850 to waste on a glorified mini-fridge... For under $400 bucks you could wire up a nice rack of recycled Lithium batteries with 80amp-hour ability and a 1000watt inverter and plug in anything you, even power the full size fridge inside your house in some cases. Add a cheap solar panel and a way to switch between that charge and your batteries 12v system charge and also a 110v charger for when you can plug in an extension cord and you'd have way more options.

11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I could understand the value of something lightweight like this for hiking&camping if it was built in a back pack... But weigh limitations inside a car don't require this, what's more a meager 40ah for $850? That over $20 per amp-hour... Not worth it!!!

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The value in this device is the combination of charging and distribution in a compact package. It may not be the best value, but it’s something. If you’re going to live a few inches away from a battery that big, it’s nice to know it’s safe, engineered, tested and so forth. Not the best fit for science fair setups.

The way I read it, this thing could float that small fridge just fine if the Prius is in ready mode at least 4 hours every 24 hours. You’d want that anyway, just to clear out the heat dumped by the fridge.

Haschwalt likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We missed the quarterly mark of someone posting "hey I have an idea, let's hack into built-in solar roof and do something w/it" post.

14. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

40 Ah/.75 Ah -> 53 hours/24 -> 2.22 days then say you have an extra 3-4 hours with the contents still cool. so say like 2.4 days.

So cracking a window, and walking away from the car for at least 2 days, the cooler will be fine.

It'a also lithium iron phosphate so it will last 2000 cycles over lithium ion batts which last only 200-300 cycles. That's 5.5 years.

The above poster mentioned $400 difference, but the setup he mentioned requires some technical know how, take up more space, and also batteries that will be replaced more often. But the biggest factor is that that setup would seemingly take up space in the rear hatch presumably. The Dometic is just a little cube that can fit in the footwell and moved around easily.

The other thing is you would need a DC to DC charger to properly switch between the 12V battery and the house battery – doing an automatic charing relay wouldn't top the 2nd battery. So this is another step in complexity.

By using an isolator is that most cars charging algorithms aren’t made to fully charge a deep cycle battery. By using the redarc bcdc 1225 you would get a charging algorithm that is specific to the needs of the battery(it has a 3 stage smart charging algorithm, and can be configured for several battery types). Most alternators aren’t set up to fully charge a deep cycle battery because a deep cycle require 14.5v to get to 100%. So while you could use an ACR, it would only charge a deep cycle battery to 80%.

#14 Haschwalt, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I recently retired my first lithium iron phosphate battery. For the record it did about 1500 cycles before it was too unreliable to continue.

Haschwalt likes this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey, aren't you the one hacking the solar roof to run a subwoofer?