1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don’t Buy a Prius to Save Money on Gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by theshark, Aug 15, 2013.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well fyi we do not use that "r" word much anymore here. I agree, but in the current context it just means I can use my own back-yard as the mathematical minimum pay-out for a hybrid, to show the range of possibilities compared to London. Even in my own back-yard once you get to 15000+ miles per year then the hybrid is going to win most of the time.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nor do we here wj. Sometimes however I just can't help myself when something is *that* stupid. :)

3. jurgen2001

jurgen2001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife and I are now "in the money" with our 2008. We had been considering a $18000 Corolla S and bought the Prius for $22000 instead. After 140k mi at an average price of $3.25/gallon we've saved more than the difference between the 2 vehicles! And to think everyone I knew told me, "don't buy a hybrid. It's so expensive. You'll never recoup the cost difference."

PriusGuy32 and Data Daedalus like this.
  4. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the last three months, I've filled the tank of my Prius 4 times, at just under £60 each time - that's under £240 on fuel over 3 calendar months! In comparison, my previous car would have had to be refilled at least 12 times over the same 3 months - possibly more (to attain the same mileage of course) at over £60 per refill. £240 or £720 fuel bill over three months......the math speaks for itself!! :D

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a whole lot of miles per year, so I agree the hybrid wins that comparison.

I think London pays $9/gal gas so that's another case where hybrid wins.

The "math problem" I personally have is due to lifestyle changes (semi-retirement) our use is declining to maybe 12000 miles/year and gas0 is $3.20/gal right now. Given my state's tax dis-incentives for hybrids, my hybrid math is not working out for my next car....that purchase is off 3-4 years in the future so I wait and see. Maybe get a used hybrid. In general though I think the hybrid math is weakening in USA with so many better MPG cars in the show-rooms.

6. mich.g.pan

mich.g.pan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,

wow, i read this thread and I am a little worried about posting here.
    But , I think I must.

I just traded away a Yaris sedan for a 2007 Prius.
    So, I think I can share a different point of view.
    I reluctantly traded my Yaris because the Prius has more cargo capacity, more passenger room, about 25% better MPG, better safety rating and lastly because the prius is just MORE CAR!

Firstly, I love Toyota products.
    Reliable and better MPGs for most of their cars in their own categories.
    Sorry, but I cant bash a Prius or a Yaris.
    But, I dont like this comparison of a Prius to a Yaris.
    You might as well compare these 2 cars to a electric scooter.
    Comparisons must be placed on a level playing field.
    I personally compared a VW jetta diesel wagon to a Prius recently.
    They are not the same in all aspects but, most of them.

I hate these overall cost of ownership comparisons. I too do it with every car I consider to buy. I include all those costs including insurance. BTW, I dont think I will ever pay for a new car. Any car depreciates, even my beloved Toyotas. I usually buy a end-of-lease cars. I know some will differ about new cars, but thats a different topic and thats Ok.

Anytime someone compares a new or used car purchase over another car better understand that we will eventually sell the car. It may be after 3 or 5 or 10 years. There wont be too many that drive it until it dies on the side of the road. Or, it might be a catastrophic event like a major component issue or a car crash.

My message is after any unfair comparison like this, you must incorporate the residual value of the car . (after any mileage and/or year evaluation) BTW, I needed to consider this when i considered the VW jetta diesel wagon.

If the Yaris gets close to Prius in operating costs?... well you better consider the residual value remaining in the car. Pretend you are only borrowing the car and then need to return it. Well, basically when you are done with these 2 cars, you will get more money back when you trade or sell your Prius car.

The prius and the yaris are not similar cars.
    Therefore you will have more $$ returned to you when you end your relations with the Prius.

Always consider residual value when you make these overall ownership comparisons.

just my 2 cents
    michael

TheEnglishman and Britprius like this.
  7. Janstheman

Janstheman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Gee, I have had my Prius for 9years and 7months, plus 145000 trouble free miles. Even when the triangle of death showed up, I was still able to drive the car to the dealership and I was not stranded. This car gives 41 to 55 mpg depending on how heavy my right foot is, and yes I have the speeding ticket to prove it. There is no way you should compare a Yaris to a Prius. Yes, the inital price of the Yaris versus the Prius is much lower. But, the number of miles before break even has been discussed many times. I for one would much rather have the Prius. Look at trade in values. Because the Yaris is cheap, it drops in value very quickly. The Prius still holds it value years after its purchase. The demand is still there for 2nd Gen Prius.

8. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prius has saved me a ton of money...don't see it changing.

9. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any car that gives me 55.7mpg in London city driving in these presently wintery conditions (real time mpg I hasten to add) is literally worth it's weight in gold! True, I was getting 66mpg in Summer while running the AC, but I always think - what mileage per gallon are ordinary cars getting right now?!! My last tank of fuel gave me 531 miles. This time last year, my old Mazda MX-3 coupe with a 1.6i DOHC engine gave me 180 miles from 45 litres of fuel. 180 miles or 531 miles? That's definitely a no brainer. Right? Right?! :D

iPad ? HD

10. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The truth is you do pay extra to get the improved MPG. My justification is I was going to buy a car priced the same anyhow. The sacrifice was power for mpg and for me I do regret it a bit when I push the right pedal.. When the days comes so I can buy the other "P" car (Porsche), then I will have miles of smiles. Eco with prius fun in the Porsche!

11. MikeyEV

MikeyEV New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The whole argument goes at the window when you factor in fluctuations in fuel prices, how many miles you drive, and real world mpgs for basic hypermiling techniques. The folks over in the UK show us the price premium very quickly means nothing.

My thinking is more simple though. If you're intended use of a car is primarily to save money on gas and lower your overall cost of car ownership, what ultimately matters is how much money you're saving compared to what you were paying on your old car... not how much you you're saving on the front-end by choosing a less efficient car.

12. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He,s using that FUZZY math!!

I hope he is happy with his Yaris or what ever he drives?
    He is another hybrid hater :sick: or something:censored: !!
    To each is own!! ..... I LOVE my Prius :love: .