1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't Believe Prius Owners Get Respect On Road

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Northernguy, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Northernguy

Northernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It may just be me, but it seems to me that since I traded my Rav 4 for my Prius v; it feels like everyone on the road is trying to pass me. Seems like they want to get passed me because they're afraid I'll just be "putting along". Truth is, I find myself speeding in the Prius more often than I did in other cars I've owned. Really looking to gain my respect when cruising down the highway.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're 100 percent correct!
    It is just you.

Tim Jones and Silver bullit like this.
  3. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Suck it up. Its a conception that you will be slow. No sense trying to compete with that, embrace it, and let em burn the fuel to pass.

Tim Jones and Sfcyclist like this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be worse.... ;)

[​IMG]

Tim Jones, Ray-o-Vac and ewxlt66 like this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a pretty commonly communicated perception.

I honestly don't notice it too much.

But I think your admission that you actually try to compensate by driving faster is interesting. I think I find myself actually doing similar. I'm definitely more conscious of the idea of keeping up with traffic.

And I have found myself being defensive with Co-Workers who give me the "Prius is Slow" routine.

My feeling is that while YES the Prius is a Hybrid, with an Atkinson cycle engine, and it is designed to be efficient, it also is capable of reaching any commonly reached and legal driving speeds. In other words, you don't HAVE to putt along in a Prius...they can move if you want them to....and yes, I think subconsciously, when I'm driving with the Prius I want to make sure I'm not the slowest entity in any grouping of traffic.

rands roo likes this.
  6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're practicing defensive driving, they'll be passing you regardless of what you drive.

Rule of defensive driving is to always travel 1-2 mph slower than traffic. This keeps the crazies well out in front of you and gives you time to react when they start playing bumper cars.

7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Don't know if I agree with that.

Google "Defensive Driving" you'll find out that it's basically a large and diverse definition. Most definitions say to follow the 4 second rule in following other vehicles...that is allow space. But I actually could not find a recommendation to routinely and purposely go 1-2 mph slower than traffic.

In fact one author who presented 70 tips to defensive driving actually recommended going with the flow of traffic.

I don't think it is necessarily safer, or better to be purposely going slower than everyone around you. That's not necessarily "defensive" it's just slow....and being the slowest vehicle on the road can be nearly as dangerous as being the fastest IMO.

If you observe traffic way out in front of you, you can visualize what the "flow" of traffic is, as a whole. Visualize traffic as a single, giant organism, like a river. There will be vehicles within the overall picture (or flow) that are traveling faster, and some slower, but you can see what the overall pace of traffic is.

You may be surprised to know that the actual pace of traffic is not that much faster than the speed limit. One of the principles engineers use when setting a speed limit is to consider what speed a normal, reasonable driver actually drives on that particular stretch. Try to match your speed to the overall flow (without exceeding the speed limit by more than a few miles per hour). - See more at: The Great American RoadTrip Forum - Defensive Driving Rule #28: Maintain an Even, Measured Pace

If you observe traffic way out in front of you, you can visualize what the "flow" of traffic is, as a whole. Visualize traffic as a single, giant organism, like a river. There will be vehicles within the overall picture (or flow) that are traveling faster, and some slower, but you can see what the overall pace of traffic is.

You may be surprised to know that the actual pace of traffic is not that much faster than the speed limit. One of the principles engineers use when setting a speed limit is to consider what speed a normal, reasonable driver actually drives on that particular stretch. Try to match your speed to the overall flow (without exceeding the speed limit by more than a few miles per hour). - See more at: The Great American RoadTrip Forum - Defensive Driving Rule #28: Maintain an Even, Measured Pace

smilyme and rands roo like this.
  8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I copied and pasted the passage and it mysteriously duplicated and for some reason the edit function won't allow me to delete the erroneous duplications.

9. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Something I learned in professional driver training, more than once. And having been a professional driver for some years, I can attest that it does work. So I make the recommendation based on experience. Its not slow enough to cause issues with other traffic, but it does give you an advantage. Doesn't make a difference in the time required to get from A to B, eliminates most of the need for lane changes (the single biggest cause of accidents), and does in fact keep traffic moving away from you.

10. taropoo

taropoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have to say I've noticed that too, but after this happened, I don't feel sorry for myself anymore:

So it's about the third day since I got my Prius v, I was on highway driving about 70~75mph, a brand new Porsche 911 saw me and assumed I drive too slow (without checking mph I think), then he pass me and right away got caught by a cop and giving a ticket. I felt sorry for him, but at the same time I'd like to tell him, "don't judge a book by it's cover."

Lntnln and Sfcyclist like this.
  11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not understanding any part of this post.

I drive to get to some location, not to achieve the respect of other drivers. I drive at the speeds that get me where I wish to be. (48 in a 45, 61 in a 55, and 71 in a 70; these speed see me passing as many vehicles as pass me. Other drivers have other priorities and I do not judge them)

Will you find idiots who can't drive the speed limit with the cell phone at their ear who 'wake up' once you pass them and roar off at 10 over? Yes, the problem is theirs, not yours.

I think you can 'solve' every bit of your problem by not taking responsibility for their failures.

TatumRob and skwcrj like this.
  12. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Trust me...Be a GIVER!

It is much better to GIVE resentments than to receive......

Party on Wayne!

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I drive sometimes 5 MPH slower than the posted if it doesn't interfere with any other cars (lightly traveled multi lane divided highway). I'm not in any hurry and I know how much extra gas each 5MPH costs you. When I get into traffic, I speed match and create a safe buffer for all the cars when I can. I'm for accelerating to pass a much slower vehicle or moving over to the center lane to help a car merge. No interest in top speed (do that on the race track). Drove my Porsches the same way. Never was into the respect thing and never felt or was challenged in any car I drove in the last few decades. I let the idiots have the road.

smilyme likes this.
  14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Drive it like you ... enjoy it. That may be like you stole it, or may be somewhat tamer, but it's entirely your call.

rands roo likes this.
  15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I find other drivers seem to pass real close and pull in early if I drive slower, some even nip in front of me, as I'm approaching stationary traffic (doing my regen thing), then brake sharply as they realise the traffic up ahead is stationary, that always makes me smile.

16. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I notice the same.. at the same time, it depends on who's following.. some people have to pass you no matter what. Then there are those that want considering passing and once they see it's a Prius, it's a go!

Once a guy tried to pass me in a 45 when I was already doing 55. I just sped up gradually to show that we're going plenty fast and hit 65 before he gave up... Sounds bad but I think that many Prius owners including myself setup that perception that we drive slow(er).. which sometimes we do.. this perceptions remain and when they see a Prius, automatic "pass mode" since we might be hyper miling mode. It comes with the car.. passing is fine but I hate cutting cut off!

17. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Oh.. sizing up a car to pass or cutoff is often what happens out there. A lot of people buy or modify their cars just to intimidate.. or get "respect..

So I try to make mine's look fast.. :sneaky:

18. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does any one have a dash camera for protection?

SCH-I535 ? 2

19. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you're looking to be respected by other drivers on the road based on what you drive, you are in for some serious dissapointment.

20. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The focus should always be on HOW you drive, like having fun in a Q-ship Prius, outwitting poseurs driving equipment that is out of their league and capabilities.

jgilliam1955 likes this.