1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't Believe Prius Owners Get Respect On Road

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Northernguy, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Drift King

Drift King New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually stay out of the left lane to avoid this.

2. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's because most Prius drivers feel self entitlement to block the flow of traffic by driving to slow in the left
    lane and never getting out of it. Or they drive to slow in the #2 lane and impede traffic flow. Now that
    they've become more main stream, Prius drivers are subjected to astigmatism perceived by the motoring public.
    It's called asshats. Most early Prius drivers and most current Prius drives can't figure out how to get out of the way and stay out of the passing lane. The left lane was designed for passing only. In CA, it's totally ignored and all the self empowered Prius drivers hang in the left lane until they reach their exit. Then they try to dive off at the last minute.
    If you're not going with the flow of traffic, get your nice person over to the slow lane. You'll never worry about who's passing you too close or swinging back in in front of you again. They do those types of moves to try and let you know, you're in the way. MOVE ASSHATS :ROFLMAO:

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    is there a video somewhere of this?

but OT : your right
    i drove a sportscar before the same "slow" way i drive my prius now but in th eprius they see the car and already want to pass at a stoplight ( not even moving yet ) just to get past "that prius"

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The asshat thing is not brand-specific. You see poseurs asshatting in the left lane just to be seen, while being unwittingly outperformed by Prii passing like Q-ships in the center and right lanes.

Drive it like you stole it. Or not. Enjoy the ride.

5. xcuter

xcuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I drive home in L.A. traffic everyday. The other day I was a dude in a Dodge Ram was high beaming me because I left too much space in front of me and the car in front of me. I thought it was hilarious. Not like he was gonna able to go anywhere in that bumper to bumper traffic.

SPH-L900 ? 2

TatumRob likes this.
  6. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

I think coffee plays a major role in all this ignorant driving and bad habits.
    They can't wait to get to the light and jamb on the brakes :ROFLMAO: So if you're not
    tailgating the person in front of you, your not doing it right (y)

7. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    People ride my butt regardless of my lane or speed. Whether 5mph under or 10mph over, people are desperate to be just in front of me.

skwcrj likes this.
  8. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    People that tailgate will tailgate other people for no reason at all. Going home the other day in my Acura (while driving the speed limit on the right lane), I watched 4 idiots tailgating (one car length) the car in front of them (not a Prius). In all instances, the car in front was going with the "flow" (even though there is not such thing) and the lanes at either side where wide open. I get tailgated once in a while regarless of which car I drive. They eventually give up and pass me. Such tools!!!

9. Northernguy

Northernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not familiar with the term asshat. Living in Wisconsin we are referred to as cheese heads. Since your name is Drdiesel I assume that you don't drive a Pruis, because you would also be grouping yourself into the asshat category if you drove one. I do agree with you that the left lane is for passing only, but I never see Prius' in that lane but many times see diesel drivers. So from now on I will call all diesel drivers.....Dieselheads.

10. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    People just drive funny if they do not drive like me.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I can see your concern. There's always a chance someone can clip your bumper when pulling around to pass.

Sometimes drivers pass me up when accelerating from a stop. Give it some time with your new Prius v.

Does it have Power Mode? Give that a try also. :cool:

12. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I was referring to the drivers that drive in the left lane and never move out of it. Even when traffic
    is passing them on the right. I live in CA and see it all the time. I drove a Prius until last week.
    Now I drive a Ford C-Max Energi. I drove a an 08 Prius for 2 years, but never considered myself
    an asshat because I use common sense and stay out of the left lane. I'm originally from Det.
    and know some CheeseHeads :D Yes, I drive a nice Dodge diesel pickup too :eek:

13. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends where you live I guess. I live in a Prius dense area. I don't notice prius drivers driving or being treated any different than everyone else on the road. Then again traffic doesn't move too fast around here so aggressive driving to get past a slow prius doesn't get you very far. I drive my prius v to work and back and occasionally drive the Ford F450 work truck to job sites and other than the fact of other vehicles giving you a little more room in a truck i don't notice being treated any differently.
    That said, depending on my mood i find it is easier to drive slowly in my prius than in any other vehicle owing to the "lazy throttle", but if you want to move it is quite capable. I've put the pedal down a few times to make a left turn at an intersection and the michelin energy savers have a bit of trouble gripping the road.
    That said i believe the average driver of a prius will generally drive slower owing to the nature of the HSD and feel of the gas pedal relative to a traditional ICE automobile.

14. Lntnln

Lntnln Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have had my Prius 3 for about 15 months now. I had to learn to deal with the road bullies.
    I do keep up with the posted speed limits except on hills because it is just a waste of gas in my opinion to accelerate on a hill with a hybrid. I occasionally step on the brake on 'tail-gaters', use the slow lane as a courtesy to other drivers. I know they envy me when we meet at the pump because generally I need 4-5 gallons for for my weekly 250 mile commute.

15. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why slow down on a hill? Keep your speed up. And no one at the gas pump cares how much gas you put in the Prius.:confused:

SCH-I535 ? 2

16. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You think you get no respect in your Prius? I have a Prius with a handicapped license plate. That is 2 strikes against me in the mind of most drivers. People who come up behind me feel certain I'll be driving 5-10 mph under the speed limit. Actually, I'm usually 5 OVER the limit. Since my mpg is about double what I was getting with the SUV I traded, I'm happy with the 44 mpg I'm getting.

Air_Boss likes this.
  17. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Never step on the brake to deter "tail-gaters". Are you suicidal? Drive your Prius like a normal car - do not slow down on hills - and you won't piss off other drivers. Consider using the cruise control. Nobody I know "envies" the fuel economy of a Prius. You are way overestimating how much other people care.

massparanoia likes this.
  18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius v cruise control tracks speed as if on rails (like the v tracks the road).

19. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in a very hilly and mountainous state, where people simply cannot drive uphill, but they're great at flat straightaways :ROFLMAO:

There's too many weirdos out there to be intentionally PO'ing other drivers. I'll never understand those that speed up behind you on a 2-lane highway, and slow once they get on your bumper, finally passing you as if you've been deterring them. Quite an amazing feat of human psych to complete that study!

I know my driving habits have changed somewhat since I got the Prius V three months ago. But I'm still a 70/75 mph highway driver, but will never be the crazy one in the left lane zooming along in a snow storm. I'm patient with others, to a point. The left lane drivers that never pull over are always a treat, as are those that speed up when you try to pass them. But these are all just tiny moments in a lifetime, why stress?

I think over time, Prius owners have become a much more mainstream and diverse populace. I've noticed the past three years or so it's become hard to stereotype Prius drivers as it was some time before. There are crazies, aggressive, and slowpokes, just as there are in many segments of the roadways. Going out of your way to annoy others not only makes you appear aggressive and confrontational, it could just get you in trouble. Just enjoy what you have, and who cares who thinks what about you? I don't spend any time at all deriding others for what they drive, I could care less.

Gaƫtan Lafrance and jonb505 like this.
  20. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Good points. Especially agree with "much more mainstream and diverse populace". Perhaps the early gen 1 prius made less sense financially and was seen as more of an image thing to buy one, meaning "not mainstream". Nowadays with rising fuel prices and "mainstream pricing" on the Prius lineup, the only advantages the competition can come up with the downgrade the Prius is more sports car like handling and faster 0-60 times.
    And with headlines like this: Top 10 most expensive cities to buy gas in North America are all in B.C. | Globalnews.ca
    It makes sense why so many people drive a Prius in my neighborhood, if anywhere in North America, this place makes the most sense to drive one!
    Perhaps in a few more years when gas prices rise enough where people can see the obvious financial advantage of driving a Prius, any real or perceived disrespect will subside.