1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't buy a new car advice? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by a1pharm, Oct 26, 2017.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking used car market is strong in Virginia because we have a real big car tax every year. So a used car is a double whammy savings.

jmarkd7 likes this.
  2. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i was initially shopping for used prius's(sp?) in los angeles but the stealerships and even car max values were pretty high. They hold their value well.

What's worse after i test drove a prime the steering felt infinitely better than the older Prius cars. so there was no looking back at that point.

Good luck!

3. benkhanobi

benkhanobi Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently saw a 2017 Prius with 900 miles for sale at a Toyota dealer for $21.5K ( + their $899 dealer fee)- it was built in May-2017, so it had all the Safety Sense addons- would this car sway a person away from buying a new one? Probably not.-

4. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've been getting my cars around 20% off of msrp since I negotiate hard. As a result, my new cars cost less than many used cars of the same model with the same msrp. I recently bought a vette 20% off and the Prime for close to that. I mostly buy sports/muscle cars, manuals, so these are cars people have more of a tendency to abuse. I would not want a used one, even if there was a savings.

Our 2007 Prius had 3k miles when we bought it, but gas was close to $5/gallon in NY and a Prius was rare back then. That was fine. I also bought a three year old Jaguar with 30k miles for around half off, but that car blew up in under another 30k miles and was a complete waste. If you want a high end luxury car, I would lease and give it back or buy it and trade it.

For a Prius, since they are so reliable, a used one would likely be a safer bet. That said, I bought a 2008 Prius with 32k miles and did have issues.