1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't discharge below 6 volts!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Prius92, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been studying NIMH battery tech in order to learn how to properly rebuild these packs.

A lot of good info can be found here: https://en.globtek.com/nimh-battery-safety-notes

Basically, the most important figure to determine the health of the battery is the rated capacity displayed after a discharge cycle. This is determined by the hobby charge applying a load, and measuring the amount of time it takes to hit a cutoff voltage.

Almost ALL NIMH batteries, including multi cell packs, are tested at the factory using a cut off voltage of 1v per cell.

Why is this important? Well some people are out there discharging to as little as 3 volts per module, or 0.5v per cell. This WILL NOT give you an accurate reading of capacity. The MAh capacity shown after a charge cycle is pretty much a pass or fail for the module, but pretty meaningless for measuring capacity as capacity counts during discharging, not charging.Same is true for car batteries when they advertise cold cranking amps. No capacity on any battery that I know of is derived from charging.

That site, as well as numerous other sites I have been studying for the past couple days state that discharging NIMH batteries below the cutoff voltage..which is 6V for a Prius module, is a bad idea. In fact the cars onboard computer systems will turn on the engine to prevent the hybrid battery pack from discharging below this. This is why when a pack starts reaching it's end of life, MPG suffers as the ICE is kicking on more often to keep the battery pack from falling below a cutoff voltage (not sure what that cutoff is on it's own onboard battery management system). But basically the computer will prevent a pack from falling below a cutoff, it's nearly impossible to exceed this unless something is amiss electrically within the car.

Below a certain voltage, cell polarity reversal can occur, since these packs are made of 6 cells. I am not 100% sure if cell polarity reversal can occur in the Prius NIMH pack, but can in other multi-cell NIMH battery packs.

Nearly all of the Youtube videos I've watched on HV pack rebuilding show the discharge cycles to no lower than 6 volts.

Now if anyone has any information to prove to the contrary, I'm all ears.

While I could not find this online, I am interested in knowing what the bars on the battery indicator mean as far as voltage goes. It is my understanding that the battery management system operates the pack at 40% to 80% state of charge, with 40% being purple and 80% being green on the MFD (although not sure what voltage this translates to).

By reconditioning the cells using multiple charge/discharge cycles that take the battery down and then back up to levels that go below and above the levels on the BMS, it is supposed to breathe in new life into the modules.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps if you had more experience with reverse polarity modules you wouldn't be perpetuating the myth of it being a risk... I've accidentally discharged healthy modules down to 0.0volts without reversing polarity for over 8 hours with no issue. However unhealthy modules that have sat for 5 years will sometimes show reverse polarity. That polarity can be un-reversed and the module will function again, but not well enough to work in a balanced pack.

And yes I agree that if you have $20K dollars in lab grade testing gear you will have the technology to not require discharges below 6v per module. However if you're DIY based and not spending that much money a super low amp discharge way below 6v is very much necessary to successfully recondition.

As proof I point you to Hybrid Automotive chart for discharge that point to the third round of discharge being dropped way lower than 6volts:

upload_2022-7-14_14-14-58.png

#2 PriusCamper, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Michael Cyr likes this.
  3. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  4. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am not really sure what benefit is provided by discharging to 3 volts per module.

Honestly I don't see the benefit to the equipment that Hybrid Automotive tries to peddle. Neither their charger or discharger shows the capacity provided when a full discharge cycle is completed to the industry standard of 1v per cell.

The capacity provided when the discharge cycle is complete is extremely helpful in determining which cells need replacing. When I tried calling Hybrid Automotive to ask some questions about their process of reconditioning, they acted like they didn't want to give me the time of day.

So that makes me think what they are offering is electronic snake oil. $519.99 for equipment that has no way of determining which individual cells are beyond saving. It seems like a giant waste of time discharging/charging all cells at once by the way of a grid charger if some cells are beyond hope, and no way to tell with that equipment either.

alftoy likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And how are you going to prove that you will be successful only going down to 6v?

What's more you can build the equipment for $100: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

Also an electrical engineer sees the value in discharging down to 3 volts and lower. That's who designed Hybrid Automotive's system. What's more this system was perfected by other electrical engineers over at the Honda Insight forum, as well as discussed at length on PriusChat in the mid 2010's...

Also know that Hybrid Automotive have boosted the lowest discharge level several times to be less hard on failing modules and so their current 3v lowest number is very conservative and nowhere near as aggressive as what their electrical engineers thought was necessary 4 years ago, which was 0.6v per module or ~17volts for the whole pack.

Furthermore, without expensive lab grade gear your capacity measurements are going to be wildly inaccurate because a great deal of charge sent to NiMH modules is lost as heat & self discharge, which you have to be able to accurately measure to get an accurate capacity measurement. All the cheap gear we use measures how much of a charge is sent to a module, but not how much charge the module has actually absorbed.

Point being is there's 30 years of science for reconditioning NiMH as effectively as possible and learning from that history, especially related to hybrid cars seems to be something you'd rather dismiss. Learning about that history is far more valuable than social media pundits who have not studied the history acting like a covidiot claiming "I did my research" and I know that the vaccine causes covid. Or as they say, you need to "understand the assignment."

The phrase "understood the assignment" is a slang term used to praise someone who goes "above and beyond" to do a good job, or who is always "on the money." UNDERSTOOD THE ASSIGNMENT | What Does UNDERSTOOD THE ASSIGNMENT Mean?

alftoy likes this.
  6. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Apologies if I sound argumentative, I'm just trying to get a clear picture of this.

I don't really understand the point of grid charging and discharging. From this thread:
    https://priuschat.com/threads/prius-traction-battery-repair-summery.191078/
    Which is a summary of a 103+ page thread.
    It is my understanding that by doing load testing PER MODULE, and not discharging the entire HV pack as one unit, you can see which modules need replacement after several cycles.

Or is the grid charging/discharging going on AFTER what faulty modules have been determined?

Also..
    I understand that using a hobby grade charger is not going to show a super accurate capacity as I am not using Mil-Std or industry grade equipment with ±1% tolerances on components.

However the capacity shown after a discharge cycle could be off by 200MAh or more, but that isn't important. These readings are needed for a comparative analysis between modules, because as mentioned prior, if you have 27 cells at 5000MAh and one very bad cell at 1500MAh, your capacity greatly suffers.

I cannot see how you can make any determination of remaining life of individual modules by going whole-hog and discharging and charging all 28 modules at once, unless as I said earlier..this is to speed things up..AFTER a determination of failed modules has been made. If one uses the prolong system without any other form of measuring remaining life..you could very easily be spending $500+ and sticking the HV pack back into your car with 1 or more modules that didn't come back up in capacity and be right back at square one again.

Honestly..if I had the cash I would of just bought the $600 HV module that was pulled from a 2015 with 96k miles at my local pick-n-pull, as I'm sure a 2015 should have all good modules at under 100,000 miles. Shell is different, I would need to swap all the modules out.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To be accurate that should be 0.1 V per cell.
    Yes, exactly. Grid charging is more of a preventative maintenance measure, but it is a good thing (and highly recommended thing) to do once you have replaced all your bad modules.
    It doesn't need to provide that data as it is not important when you use the equipment for its intended purpose which as mentioned above is preventative maintenance. Comparative voltages can be monitored by Techstream (Hybrid Assistant, Dr. Prius, etc) when the car is accelerating and decelerating to determine the relative health between blocks - preferably before beginning any rehab work.

The purpose of the 1 V per cell cutoff and discharging to 0.5 V per cell is different. The latter is not trying to determine capacity, but rather trying to break up the crystalline structure that forms over (a very long) time when the battery is used in a very narrow and controlled band like the Prius battery is when in normal use. It is the breaking up of these structures that releases the pent-up capacity. This works when the cell is in otherwise good condition. It does not work when you have a damaged or reversed cell within a module.

As I said in reply to another of your posts, when charging or discharging below 1 V per cell (and, in fact, above 1.44 V per cell), it is very advisable to use a very low current in the region of 0.05C (325 mA for a Prius module) to limit the risk of damage to a module. Battery rehab is a labor of patience and if you do not have the patience to take the time needed, you should not really be attempting it.

Having said all that, you could take all the time in the world and do everything right and still end up with a poorly performing battery.

#7 dolj, Jul 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    PriusCamper likes this.
  8. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So if I'm understanding correctly, if the capacity of a module turns out fine after say 1-2 discharge cycles, then the "hardcore discharging" would not be necessary, correct?

Would this method be like a "last resort" for cells that show signs of being near their end of life, but possibly harmful if the cell doesn't have much of a crystal structure built up?

The other issue I am trying to figure out..is when I did a "hard core" discharge on a couple modules, to 5v, let them rest, and then started recharging again..the modules swelled up quite a bit, about double as much as they did when I took them down to 7 volts.

I was only charging at 2.5A...other people are feeding 4-5 amps with minor heat issues. The issue is if the charger misses the delta peak on a lower voltage discharge, and the only thing it has to rely on is capacity cutoff..but if you discharge below 6v, the capacity needed by the charger to take it up to a full charge will be higher than a normal charging cycle from the 6v cutoff, which I think is somehow confusing the charger and allowing it to continue to charge once the battery is done, and once the battery itself is charged, the excess current is dissipated as heat.

I think in order to rectify that, you'd need a charger with a high voltage cutoff, rather than just a programmable low voltage cutoff, but it's my understanding these chargers don't have a voltage cutoff on the charging side, just discharging.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The capacity is relative to all your other modules, so yes, I guess. You can have a workable battery if all modules are 3000 mAh. For the same reason, you cannot just chuck in a brand new 6500 mAh module when all the others are 3000 mAh. That is just asking for trouble.

Discharging below 1 V (per cell) is not really 'hardcore' in my book, but ok, let's use that term. What I have been trying to get you to switch on to is that it is all about the current. Your modules swelled because you were charging at 2.5 A. Below 1 V per cell and above 1.44 V per cell, you need to be very careful with your current.
    No, the opposite actually. Limiting crystalline structures from forming will keep the capacity at the best it can be for as long as possible. Once cells show signs of being near their end of life, they are well at their end of life.

#9 dolj, Jul 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, the apparent idea of a grid charger is that it saves a bunch of time. You would ID bad blocks (Dr Prius), replace modules as needed, then discharge - charge cycle a few times then drive the car. The ecu (or Dr Prius) can monitor voltages to see how things are doing.

No you can't evaluate individual modules, but it only takes a few days to cycle the pack, as opposed to weeks for hobby chargers (unless you have many of them - $$$)

Another "point" for the grid charger is that you can leave a harness attached to the car, so you can cycle the pack as "maintenance" from time to time (instead of just reacting to a failed module), and you have the option to recharge the pack if for some reason you had a fault (ICE won't start- P3190) and ran the SOC too low.

As far as discharge voltage targets. Cycling is intended to "gently" push the cells beyond their normal boundaries , which does something internally to help improve capacity. You don't "measure" capacity as it discharges below 6V, you just do it then do a "standard" discharge to see how it improved.

All I know is that I had a number of modules that were "stuck" at 3000-4000 mAh (I used hobby chargers). Several cycles to 6V didn't help. So I went down to 5V then next cycle to 4V. After that they measured about 5500mAh. Could have kept going but enough was enough.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there a hobby charger that can slow charge to around 1v, then fast charge to the 1.44 and trickle back down again?

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, as far as I have read, but I haven't gone looking either. It would be an all-manual situation.

13. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you discharge to 6 volt after going to 5 and 4v? Because if you discharge to 5 or 4 volts using the hobby charger, of course the discharge capacity is going to be higher as you've decreased the cutoff voltage which will take more time at a fixed current load, which is how capacity is measured.

14. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So what is the most cost-effective way to recondition these modules without spending $500+ on a pro long charger and discharger, or waiting weeks for modules to trickle charge?

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you could crack that conundrum, you should patent the idea and you'd be onto a money spinner.

16. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So by using the dedicated discharger what is the max discharge current I can safely use on a module? 6.5A?

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've already said, but I suspect you don't like that answer.

18. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Apologies, I'm half asleep and just now saw it after re-reading your post.
    How long would discharging take at only 325MAh?
    I noticed when I discharged at 2.5A, the battery really didn't get that warm, it seems charging generates more heat than charging, at least with my charger.

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not the heat that damages cells on discharge. You are really trying to hedge your bets on cell reversal.

As to how long, I don't really know. The good news is that after ~ 6.9 V (per module) the voltage 'drops off the cliff' and goes down faster and faster. The trouble is it just never seems fast enough especially when you're watching it. Patience grasshopper.

20. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So is there any benefit to using hobby chargers over a grid charger like the prolong, or are people doing it because of the lower cost?

I've also seen people use a headlight bulb and record the before and after voltages after 2 minutes, what exactly is being done here?