1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dont know if my 2013 PIP has an AUX in?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Lionel Jefferson, Jun 7, 2019.

1. hieronymous

hieronymous Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the camera is attached to the boot lid, but the head unit displays the camera output when reversing. I presume you already have a working camera that just needs connecting? If you don't have a reversing camera at all now, then someone with skill/knowhow will likely be needed to run some wiring. I also replaced my original camera, still have that here as well..

You've lost me with the "Mint Linux" reference..

2. Lionel Jefferson

Lionel Jefferson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    Sorry ! I was looking at your Linux Penguin Avatar!. Mint is a Linux OS. I do have a reversing camera, and it displays on my radio. Thats what I meant, sorry to be so vague. I was meaning, does your old radio that is surplus to requirements, display the camera on its screen when in reverse?

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Duh! Yeah, I'm a 20 year Linux veteran...
    When the original head unit was in the car I seem to remember it could do everything (reversing, bluetooth, MP3, cd, Aux etc) EXCEPT sat/nav. The "old" unit is actually a 2016 manufactured replacement by Toyota at the Thames factory.
    Another thought: if you have working steering wheel controls for your existing head unit, the installer would need to know what to connect, and how to test..

4. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    There are adaptors available for connecting the reversing camera to other headunits, I wouldn't worry about that.

Your car has the expensive 100V AC 1500W inverter option installed! This was only available in Japan. This provides mains power from the traction batteries, via an additional inverter. You can plug in any mains operated device that will accept 100V AC, including low-power kettles (could import one from Japan maybe if you want). It's designed for camping or disaster preparedness. There should be a red plug adaptor that provides 100V AC outlets from the charging port too, but that might have gone missing.

I think @hieronymous is confused by the existence of this, it is an OEM optional extra and does provide mains power from the car.

pokenoprius likes this.
  5. pokenoprius

pokenoprius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks Quantum, I will try getting a Japanese adapter for my 100-240v iPhone USB charger. I would imagine that would draw less than a kettle huh , lol I’m just worried something will go bang guess I’ll find out lol

6. QuantumFireball

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    It's definitely less than 1500W, probably more like 5-20W.

pokenoprius likes this.
  7. Lionel Jefferson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    Here is mine! Definitely the Flintstones model.

Attached Files:

8. Lionel Jefferson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    Could you control the radio via the steering wheel buttons? Maybe we should take this convo off-line. I dont care about the sat-nav as I dont think the Japanese ones can be made to work in NZ anyway. I just want aux-in and the backing camera!

9. QuantumFireball

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    You're not missing too much. The 100V AC inverter was an optional extra, and other buttons to the right would be headlamp washers (LED only) and the MPH-km/h speedo switch (JDM wouldn't have this anyway, but my UK spec does).

Lionel Jefferson likes this.