1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't know what to believe about ICE coolant change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bmparent, May 14, 2019.

1. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Further adventures in coolant-land...After driving around for a half-hour this morning, the day after having the fluids changed. I opened the hood after the car had been cool for 1/2 hour to check everything out. The inverter reservoir was really, really low as in like almost to the bottom. So I filled it to the fill line. It went down again! Filled it up again and it stayed. Now I'm worried that I'm going to get air bubbles in the system. BUT the good thing is that when I look into the reservoir, there is way more turbulance/movement that there was before I had the coolant changed. From what I hear that's a good thing.
    What do you think did the dealership screw up the levels? Was it ok to just dump some more in?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It can't hurt to top up, likely more air pockets worked out.

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your not going to get air bubbles in unless there was no fluid at all in the reservoir. That was the reservoir doing it’s job of replacing trapped air in the system. Sounds like the dealer didn’t get all the air out when they did the change.

M in KC and bmparent like this.
  4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think both coolant changes are easy DIY projects. I’m trying to start MeetUps here in the Oregon area to try owners to do this stuff together. I have the experience, tools, and a 3-car garage... maybe you can start something like that where you live.

johnjohnchu and bmparent like this.