1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't pay that much!

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by grasshopper, Jan 1, 2006.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

I could have bought my 2006 Prius for $500 over invoice, but I didn’t like the Sales Manager’s attitude so I told him to keep his car. I then proceeded an hour up the highway, walked in and ordered my Prius for $700 over invoice. It was worth the $200 to walk out on the other dealer. The General sales manager still called me the next day and said that he still wanted a chance to earn my business at the $500 over invoice price.
    I don’t know how you buy your cars, but what I do is decide exactly what I want and then e-mail every dealer within 150 miles stating that I will be buying this car. I state that I don’t mind ordering and waiting for it, if necessary. If you are interested please let me know within two weeks. Also, please state every thing included and the out the door price so that all I need to do is show up with my money. I e-mail each dealer individually and do not mass e-mail everyone at once.
    Granted, out of about 25 dealers, 10 won’t reply, 10 will, because I’m such a nice guy, give me the pleasure of only paying MSRP….. But so far (twice, different dealers) there has always been at least two who want to sell me my car. I just felt like I needed to put this out there. Not to mention that I just became a member and I needed to see if I could put one of these out. :)
    Roger and out

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    John, welcome to PriusChat. Where are you from?

I'm curious to know if your approach would work in most or all other parts of the country, or if you live in an area where Priuses aren't in such strong demand. I'm in NorCal. I, too, individually e-mailed about 15 dealers, but without talking price. Just said I'd definitely be buying, would be paying cash (no trade), would not pay over MSRP and would buy where the price was lowest. I got only four responses, all simply inviting me to "get on their list".

3. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I got $500 off MSRP by pooling my purchase with 2 other buyers.
    (Ordered 2006 for January delivery back in August before gas price spiked.)

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  5. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Jack 06

I live in Myrtle Beach South Carolina and I’m sure that in Ca. there is a larger demand. Although it seems like there would also be more cars and with the large population, more dealers. I cannot say if it worked for me because of the way I worded the e-mail or because I may have sent more e-mails to small dealers than someone else. There is no way of knowing. Bye the way, I didn’t mean to mislead you: there was no mention of what I would or would not pay in my e-mails. Simply that I was going to purchase the Model, color and options stated.

Are there only 15 dealers within 150 or 200 miles? One of the things that you are trying to exploit is the competition between big city dealers and little podunk town dealers. Small remote dealers love to steel customers from under the noses of the big dealers. In fact if I lived right next door to a big dealer, I would exploit that also. In this case I did purchase from a Toyota dealer in a little bitty town about 1 hour from a big city. But that is not always the case.

One last thing, remember that this is like a Resume, the less you say the better off you are. If they know all there is to know up front, it doesn’t let their curiosity get the best of them. They need to want to steel your business from there competitors.

Have you really had 1741 Posts since October 05? That’s between 4 and 5 posts a day, when do you have time to drive your car?

John

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    John,

Check your math. Don't insult Jack. 1,741 posts in 82 days average to just about 21 posts per day.

:D

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Must have flunked math!!!

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

As my Jewish companion points out, I can---and do--- make 4 or 5 posts in under 5 minutes, before I've finished my first cup of coffee. I live here. I'm PC's version of the Wal-Mart greeter. I'm semi-retired. My wife takes our '05 Prius every day; I only service it.

When my '06 arrives it may cut my posts to, oh, 14.7/day for a few days. :p

10. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

The key element of any negotiation is the ability to walk away from the table. Kudoz to you for walking away. Too bad you couldn't turn that into $300 over invoice at dealer #2 and make it a truly successful experience vs. a truly satisfying experience :D

I had a similar experience in my area (Central Massachusetts). My nearest dealer had a poor offer and a very low trade-in. Wouldn't budge since he indicated that he was "doing me a favor" by even taking my order after the owner put a freeze on taking new '05 orders. This was back in early September. I'd been researching and test driving (2 day rental) the Prius for weeks and by the time I decided to buy it was in the post-Katrina era.

Needless to say, I walked away.... family in tow. Shortly thereafter, I had an order in that which was $800 better on the purchase and $1200 better on the trade! Didn't have to play them against each other at all... just ended up at a better dealer I think. This guy (Gilles Labelle at Westboro Toyota) is their Hybrid guy and knew everything about the car. The "other" guy knew only generalities.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We forgive you.

12. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Gilles is a regular contributor on one of the Yahoo Prius groups.