1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't rent a car from National

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PriusRos, Feb 27, 2007.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was on a business trip in Charleston, SC last month and got a National rental car at the airport, based on best price.

I didn't immediately check it out thoroughly because I was expecting to be met by a rep on the way out to go over the car. However, nobody stopped me and by the time I realized nobody would be checking out the car I was on main road. It wasn't really until I stopped and looked around did I realize that the car had not been cleaned at all inside or out -- there was trash on the floor and the cupholders were sticky. I was already quite far from the airport and since I was supposed to be meeting someone soon I decided I didn't have time to go back, return the car, and wait for it to be cleaned. I called National at some time during my stay to inform them that car hadn't been cleaned.

When I returned the car, somebody met me to go over it. Amidst the dirt, there was a very slight surface scratch but I informed the person that it was probably there to begin with because nobody checked out the car when I picked it up. I know I didn't scratch it or was involved in any bumps or collisions. Nothing was said to me or written on my rental agreement when I went to the desk to settle the bill.

The other day, a month later, I received a letter from the National damage recovery department saying they had received a report of damage and that I was liable, so I need to inform my insurance company or credit card. They did not say what the damage was or how much it was. I tried to call this department yesterday and after going through several layers of voice menus, was told they were unable to take my call because of the high volume of calls, and to leave a message. I did, but didn't receive a call back. I then called National customer service. They looked up my rental agreement and verified that there were no notations on it. They told me I would have to call the damage recovery department to find out what it was about. I asked them, if I had done some damage, shouldn't that be notated on the contract? She said that she doesn't/cannot see that information and it would have been forwarded to the damage recovery department. I ended up writing the recovery department a letter telling them I have no idea what they are talking about because I returned the car in the condition I had received it and had not been informed of any damage.

Last night, I received a letter from a "billing service" company telling me that "due to their sheer volume of claims" National Car Rental has asked them to partner with them in the processing of this claim. Apparently I owe $478.39. For what, I don't know. I now have to write THEM a letter within 30 days to dispute this claim.

Is there any way they can have a claim against me when they never informed me that I did any damage?
    I can see this being a long drawn out process of me having to keep writing letters defending against something I didn't do.

Thank you for letting me vent. Has anybody experienced something similar with this company or another? Is there another better place for me to post this?

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Feb 27 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]397313[/snapback]</div>
    You need to start documenting all communication with and everything you remember from that transaction. Then you need to go online and do some research. My knee jerk reaction is that if they did not do a visual inspection upon return of the car and inform you of the damage at that time they have no case. Write them a letter stating this and make sure you send it registered.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz...r+damage+claims

Wildkow

p.s. I am NOT and attormey. I do not represent clients and do not provide legal advice. I am not even licensed to practice law in any state. The information and links that I have posted on the web and elsewhere are provided solely for educational and informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice. While I may on occasion suggest or respond to hypothetical fact situations, your situation may differ in important respects from these scenarios, perhaps in ways that are not apparent, and in some instances my response may be affected by pedagogical, jurisdictional, or other factors that also affect its potential applicability to your situation. Please understand that no attorney-client relationship is formed by communications with me, and please do not send me confidential or privileged information.

If you do require legal advice, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law and who is admitted to the bar in your jurisdiction. If you are seeking such an attorney, you may wish to consult a state or local bar association, as many such organizations offer referral services. You may also wish to use an online directory of lawyers, such as Martindale-Hubbell's Lawyers.com or West's LawOffice.com.

3. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Feb 27 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]397313[/snapback]</div>
    Probably there to begin with?

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not an attorney, so take the following with a huge grain of salt.

I would encourage you to fight it and document everything in triplicate, along with registered mail so you can prove delivery and have the signature of the individual who received it.

Of course, I also don't see an easy way out for this... there's no proof either way. If it were to go to court, I would think it would get throw out, as they have no proof you did something, nothing in writing that shows it was damaged. I would think they would require a statement filled out upon return of the vehicle by the inspector and signed by you to qualify as proof - a simple list of the condition of the car and any new damages. without that, they have a pretty slim case.

5. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you can get a hold of that person on the phone again, I would ask them to fax you a copy of the contract, so you have a copy of their copy, showing they have made no notations on it.

6. Porridge

Porridge New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Feb 27 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]397313[/snapback]</div>
    My company requires CDW with zero liability on all rentals. Infact, it is built into our CDP number to avoid the nonsense you are going through. I am surprised this is not the case with your company.

Good luck to you.

7. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well I am an attorney, but this advceshould always be confirmed with an attorney who can more completely review your issues.

First: all communication should be by certified mail, Returen receipt preferable.
    Second: you have to review the rental agreement to see what the company can charge you with before instituing legal action;
    Third: Send communications (letters) to everybody that says you are disputing the claim and request that all documentation that they are using to support their claim be sent to you.
    Four: They may start to threaten to report you to a credit agency, if so send them communication that you consider this action harrassing and meant to be coercive, especially since there has been no finding of fault of liability for the cflaimed damages. (careful because the agreement you signed may allow them to actually charge you this damage amount without litigation)
    Five: check for dispute resolution requirements. These will be in the rental agreement and usually start with an appeal to National and the a demand for arbitration. You have most likely waived your right to a court trial, but this means so did National (generally, differs by state)

8. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all your responses and suggestions. I will definitely put everything in writing and send correspondence by certified mail.

Apart from the people to whom I'm responding (National's damage recovery department and the billing/collection agent), who else should be copied on my correspondence?

I hope it won't get to the point where I need to hire an attorney.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Feb 27 2007, 07:45 PM) [snapback]397539[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps you can also file a complaint with a state or county consumer affairs office where you rented the car.

10. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Feb 27 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]397539[/snapback]</div>
    In your situtation you can rarely inform too many people. Send one to the national branch where you rented the vehicle, to National uh, national headquaters, to any other address you have for National (until they tell you explicitly to only send correspondence to one place) and to any collection type agency. And be careful the collection agencies are likely to change without giving you clear warning.

11. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the contract you signed. It may state that you agree to the charges if they find something after they clean the car. In that case, you want to stress that the car you received was not cleaned, and that you mentioned it to several people (as you did in your message, but get as specific as possible ... such as giving the cell number you called from when you called the company just after picking up the car (provide the billing if you have the bill yet ... this will help a lot).

My company contracts with National also cover all damage with no deductible, so I don't run into this. I do run into dirty cars all the time; they flip them so frequently that you will often find the last renter's trash in the car. So I think your story has a lot of "believability" in it.

12. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Porridge @ Feb 27 2007, 03:35 PM) [snapback]397410[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Feb 28 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]398054[/snapback]</div>
    My company (that I was working for then) doesn't have a contract with any rental company. I agree that it would have been much easier on me if I had taken the coverage but I think CDW/LDW is such a ripoff. Regardless of who pays -- whether it's the driver's company through CDW coverage or the driver, through personal insurance or credit car coverage -- the rental car company has no right to charge for damage that was not incurred by the driver or that the driver wasn't even informed about.

Since I really don't know what the $478.39 charge is for, I'm starting to wonder whether they are deliberately picking on people that didn't pay for the CDW to cover some random repair.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the heads-up about National.

I am not a lawyer either, so the following are just my thoughts: If they failed to clean the car or go over it for damage with you at the time you rented it, they should have no case against you. Whenever I rent a car they go over it with me, and I sign a paper agreeing to the condition of the car. If you signed no such paper, they should have no case.

On the other hand, they can harass you, because they are a big company and you are an individual.

Most likely, your own car insurance covers you while you are in a rental car. So it might not hurt to talk to your insurance agent, and explain everything, and try to get her/him on your side and working for you.

14. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 3 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]399506[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. There is nothing in writing that indicates the condition in which I received the car.

Today I sent certified, return-receipt-requested letters disputing the charges to National and their "billing service." (I find it kind of telling that due to the "high volume of claims" they require somebody else to handle them.) By the way, I never did receive a return call from National damage recover unit.

This evening I called American Express, which I charged the car to and which provides loss/damage coverage, and gave them all the information. I am going to send them the correspondence, so hopefully the fight will be between National and them, not me. I told American Express that I don't think it's right for National to charge me or Amex for something I didn't acknowledge and didn't do -- I mean, what would prevent them from making a huge claim, like $5,000 instead of $500? The Amex rep agreed but who knows how it will go. Most likely they'll pay it because it would cost more for them to dispute it.

If I hadn't had the credit card coverage, I would definitely have opted for the CDW/LDW and let the company pay for it since it was for business. But, on principle, none of us should have had to pay -- me, the company, or the credit card.

And BTW, I think this is the first time I've rented from National. I've not ever had a major problem with other rental car companies -- except once, with Alamo, which is owned by the same parent company -- Vanguard -- as National. In that case, I had reserved a car but they didn't have it available when I arrived at the airport and I had to go find one with another company.

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Mar 3 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]399673[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't Amex's coverage secondary to your own car insurance? If your own insurer covers you when you drive a loan car, Amex will not pay for the claim.

I rent only from Hertz and Avis. I have never had such a problem with either. With the Gold or Premier service, I get off the plane and go directly to the car which is waiting for me under the canopy with the rental agreement hanging from the rear view mirror. The only agent I see is the guard at the exit from the rental car lot who verifies that I am the person to whom the car is rented. They never check the car with a fine tooth comb upon return. With either AAA or my employer corporate discount, I rarely pay more than what is quoted by the other rental companies.

16. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've rented cars numerous times for business trips, and have found that it is the renter's responsibility (not the company's) to note any damage done to the car before you pull off the lot. I've never had anyone walk the car with me; I've always done it myself and noted the damage on one of the papers they give to you with a schematic of the car on it.

I've rented from National, Enterprise, Budget, Hertz, and Avis, and it was the same with all of them (to the best of my memory). I've rented the most and most recent from National, and I think one of the signatures that I signed states that the car is in good shape. This doesn't help your case any, but it may make it more clear.

As the other posters have said, I would continue to fight it.

17. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 4 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]399749[/snapback]</div>
    Every other time I've rented a car, there's been somebody to check it out before I leave the lot. We usually go round the car together and note any damage on the diagram. I wouldn't have signed something that said the car was in good shape before I had even seen the car. And even if I had examined the car myself and noted any damage, there was nobody on the way out to report it to. Usually, there is someone right there or there's a booth before exiting the lot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Mar 3 2007, 11:45 PM) [snapback]399735[/snapback]</div>
    No, the whole point of the credit card coverage is so that your insurance doesn't have to pay. It replaces the expensive LDW/CDW coverage that the rental company wants you to buy.

I sent all the info and correspondence to Amex, who said they would contact National Car Rental directly. Apparently they have are still waiting to receive the damage claim from them.

18. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Mar 23 2007, 07:17 AM) [snapback]410852[/snapback]</div>
    Not according to my research, take a look at this article:

Credit cards pick up fee if you damage rented car

19. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry to hear your bad experience.

I never had any problem with National. In fact, National is my prefer rental car company. Aside from having low rental rate, the aisle pickup as an emerald member is very time saving. I don't have to wait in long line at the counter. I just walk to my aisle and pickup my choice of car selection. Adding point/miles to my frequent flyer also working well. National does not surcharge for rental miles to my favorite airline. B)

20. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Mar 23 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]411087[/snapback]</div>
    I think my card must have the specially negotiated plan mentioned in the last sentence because Amex has never asked me about my primary insurance. They said I was fully covered. I believe my other cards (Mastercard and Visa Platinum cards) also provide the full coverage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinalfr2 @ Mar 24 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]411674[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, I see this is your first post! Welcome to Priuschat!
    Oh -- just saw that you had another account.