1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't Shoot the Messenger -- Tufoil

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JSchnee, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now, what was the temp in January and February (to compare)?

According to this source: New Jersey Monthly Mean Temperatures
    March is much warmer than the previous winter months (on average), and that will do your 10% change. please report back in summer with your MPG changes.

BTW, there is is a reason you don't want particles in your engine. It was well studied before, but people have short memory:

Taxicab Fuel Economy and Engine and Rear Axle Durability with Low-Viscosity and Friction-Modified Lubricants

2. kye04

kye04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Best way to have your money in your pockets? But LPG on your car. I did it and i do not regret one second...
    ZENIT PRO OBD | Autogaspol I have this and now i drive faster than you for less money...

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Too bad it can't be done easily and legally in USA as it would be considered tampering with emissions and punishable by law.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gasoline isn't $9USD a gallon here.
    Too few places to fill here on the Continent. If I want range anxiety, I'll buy a LEAF.
    You have to haul a tank around.
    You have to disable/modify a 50-MPG(US) car for....what, again??
    It is a little cleaner, but what's the cost-per-mile?

5. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The manual never will state the use of additives!

DBCassidy

6. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm surprised the Tufoil is still around.

DBCassidy

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Over time "Bob is the Oil Guy" started good and has gotten a lot better. One article I just reread:
    source:
    Effects of Shearing - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

In my cars:
    • driving for efficiency - avoids high engine power settings, which tends to preserve hydrodynamic film. Our Atkinson engine is already running less power than the Otto versions of the same engine so the risk to the lubrication film is less. Add to that driving for efficiency and the engine has a gentle life.
    • preservation of the catalytic converter - we do this by keeping the oil level slightly below "F", never over "F", so the oil seals are not stressed AND there is no need for compounds that leaving the hot exhaust port are looking for some surface to condense on and coat . . . like a catalytic converter.
    • replace oil filter and oil regularly with a quality oil - it isn't that hard although the ZVW30 has made it harder than necessary for no good reason.
    In 1992, I saw a teflon additive that 'sounded good', a one-time treatment. Before that tank was done, that engine developed oil leaking, valve-guides. For the next 15 years, every cold start emitted an oil-based, blue cloud that as the car warmed up, disappeared. We just lived with it. But I decided I would never again use an additive in a new engine . . . old engine, who cares. But even our highest mileage Prius, 160,000 miles, is still giving 52 MPG.

A couple of years or so ago, I read Argonne Labs had done some work on boron and thought to test "Motorsilk", which is a boric acid. I could find no evidence of any change in mileage and the oil changes remain quite ordinary. "Motorsilk" may increase the detergent function but I could find no evidence that the car became more efficient. Now I see another paper from the same lab with a different result:
    http://www.transportation.anl.gov/pdfs/MM/857.PDF

There is a placebo effect, 'it is a pill so it must do some good,' but I'm more interested in hard data. It is one of the reasons why I don't participate in the 'low rolling resistance' tire thread because it has too much anecdotal and not enough, hard metrics. If it can't be measured, it is not science or engineering.

I just don't have the energy or interest to play ad hoc experiments with Prius lubrication. In fact, one of the reasons I'm going with a two-stroke, engine for N19Wt, there will never be another oil change. It will always use virgin oil, just another consumable like the gasoline. Fortunately, the oil injection makes a significant reduction in the amount of oil consumed.

So if someone wants to say "I put <something> in my <oil|gas> and now it works great!" I say, "Good for you." But if they ask if I want to do it too, "No, I'm waiting for the jury to come in."

Bob Wilson

dbcassidy likes this.
  8. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tufoil led to the demise of my old Toyota engine. Plugged oil galleys took out the valve train, main crankshaft bearings and 2 of 4 cylinders were gouged.

Not good. Now I stick w/ the owners manual and have no problems with engine lubrication issues.

Tufoil - buyer beware!

DBCassidy

9. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of you guys are obviously hard to convince when it comes to oil additives. With people like you, how are these producers to survive?

However, I am one of you and do not believe the hype of a miracle in a can.:)

dbcassidy likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...OK now where's the messenger (OP) so we can shoot him? If I tried something it would be the RedLine synthetic oil that I think EdtheFox likes.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

And it stained the paint anywhere you spilled it. :cautious:

12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Made you think every car had a diesel engine in it...