1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't understand my GPS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by RtStuf, Oct 29, 2008.

1. RtStuf

RtStuf www.rtstuf.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Have had my P since July and still haven't mastered the GPS. In our Acura we can navigate by inputting the business phone number but I can't seem to user the GPS even when inputting the destination address.

Don't travel all that much but want to use it!

Any advice???

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My advice is to read the manual again and play with it. Honestly. I know that sounds silly, but you're correct in that it's not really the most intuitive utensil in the Prius. I don't use it very often and know that there are features I've never used. There are features I've tried to use but gave up in frustration.

When done correctly, it can get you from A to B correctly and give an overview map to get out of that subdivision labyrinth. For now, that's all I've resolved myself to.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Navigating with the GPS requires these steps:

1) Enter a destination.
    2) Select a route.
    3) Press "Guide".

That's all there is to it. Let's look at each step in more detail:

Step 1:
    To enter a destination, press the "Dest" button on the right side of the MFD. A destination screen comes up that allows a user to select a previous destination, select from a stored list, enter an address, select from Points of Interest (POI), use a map, or enter coordinates. Note that there are two pages for the destination screen. If you don't see the option you want, try the second page.

When entering an address or searching for a POI, make sure the Search Area is set for your part of the country. To keep lists shorter and reduce search times, the NAV system divides the U.S. into six or so search regions. If you search in California while driving in Michigan, you won't find anything.

When entering street names, avoid extra information, such as N, North, St., Ave, etc. Just use the base name of the street. If there are options such as Street and Avenue, the system will display a list and you can select from there.

There are some other tricks, but listing them here is going to make the system sound harder than it is. Try the basics, then come back for details. Better yet, pull out the manual that came with your NAV system.

Step 2:
    Selecting a route. After you enter a destination, the NAV system will calculate three routes: Quick1, Quick2, and Shortest. These routes will be color coded on the screen. You can select between the three routes. Quick1 is selected by default. Keep in mind that Shortest will route you on and off of highways, through back roads, and every which way in its effort to get the shortest route. Press the button on the screen to accept the selected route.

Step 3:
    Press the "Guide" button on the screen to begin guidance. Jill will talk you through the route.

Tom

4. EddieF

EddieF New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have an 07. Don't know if there were many changes in the navi for 2008. As far as entering a destination address is concerned, you need to make certain you have the proper city loaded (setting the part of the US correctly will speed up the search). If the city is wrong, you'll have problems locating your destination. We live near each other - I'd be happy to lend a hand. Just send me a pm.