1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't update Windows 10 today

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, May 22, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Me fix:

upload_2018-6-2_18-59-37.png

IMG_8767.JPG

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gotta remember that one!! :LOL:

One of the many things I loved about my Amigas was that they had two configuration files. One for the system that you shouldn't ever touch, and one for the user that was safe to edit without breaking the OS. And, if you made changes to it, there was no need to reboot the computer to activate the changes. Just double click the file.

RCO likes this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With apologies to the Beatles:

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away....

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, my other laptop at home went through 1803 update yesterday without hitch. No problem, so far.

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So...it seems that avast, a program with dubious beginnings is the culprit.

Windows 7 was an easy target for ransomware, personally, I refuse to use Norton, it gave me the only virus I ever....had untill windows7 was hijacked for money, the Virus Norton gave me was also ransomware, Norton demanded money to give back my system, this was in 98-99.
    Reinstalling an operating system isn’t a big deal, and I’d rather reinstall than let some antivirus program dictate my computing, anyway, windows7 failed, windows 10 on the other hand, with Defender enabled has been staunch, tucking an add blocker in is easy and overall stable.

RegEdit is great if you’re following directions and have a fresh operating system to install should you mak a wrong keystroke, and are comfortable with a command line;)

Personally I prefer windows to Apple, in windows I control what opens and what gets loaded in memory, nevertheless, I use an IPad daily for physical convenience, no mouse, a terrible keyboard...but wireless and taken anywhere anytime.

Every windows user should be familiar with MSCONFIG, in it...the Startup tab lists everything that opens, btw, nothing but the operating system should open, if you need a program, open it, then close it.
    It’s also got a services tab, and you can exclude all windows services to see what non-windows services are open, a great place to find what programs are loading when windows starts but aren’t on the startup tab.

RCO and bisco like this.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This was in beta stage when my son wanted to try a game on his, and was only allowed on a couple of systems. Is it now available on many Chromebooks?

BTW- Weather is nice here!....

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I pulled out my usta-laptop the other day that I put Zorin on (9.x?) in like.....2014.
    It was refreshing to see it boot straight up without a bunch of nag-ware and updates pending.

Big Bell uses both Windows and IOS, and so this means that I have to use both Windows and IOS.....when I get paid to.

Otherwise?
    It's either a Droid or Linux until something else comes along.

RCO likes this.
  8. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My laptop updated a few days ago. And, of course, it made the default PDF reader EDGE.

AAARRRGH. I hate that. Even though it only takes a few moments to switch it back to Foxit, I hate that.

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

My $2,000 gaming PC won't boot up since the update last month. It's for years old but was still performing great till the update.

10. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    “Use the “Shift + Restart” combination. Another way of getting into Safe Mode in Windows 10 is to use the Shift + Restart combination. Open the Start menu and click or tap on the Power button. Then, while keeping the Shift key pressed, click or tap on Restart.

11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Thank would be nice, I'll give it another try this evening. So far, I'm not getting as cars as the POST.

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Long time since I’ve “worked” in the computer field, I had to refresh my memory on POST, (yikes)! Wonder if the CMOS battery needs replacing...

13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    After 37 years writing, updating, supporting and designing operating systems, I retired. When the only computer manufacturers were IBM, Columbia and Compaq I built computers from chips and boards and taught hardware build classes to help others save the price of a VW.

I can't recall a crash, blue screen, etc while using Windows 10 with its usual updates either 32bit or 64bit. Nor my going into the registry having to configure things. Hours long updates, yep. 3 computers in the house now using W10 with the same experience.

I update my hardware every couple of years. I replace the UPS battery every couple of years.

Sympathy to those who have differing experiences.

14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Windows 10 insists on the updates. o_O

15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  16. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The most stable version of Windoz I ever had access to was the alpha version of Win 95, build 43g. It was great, mostly because they had not yet added anything to it. ;) Win 3, 3.1 and WFWG were all a mess in the beginning. Don't even get me started on W10.

My O/S of choice is *NIX. (That's all version of Linux to the uninitiated here) Slackware, Knoppix, Ubuntu, among flavors others depending on the need. MAKE it so. . . .:cool:

RCO likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one thing that bugs me about Windows these days: the management's assumption that multiple people are going to use a computer, and each will be needing their own environment, desktop, whatever. The whole concept of "users" is pure cargo cult in my opinion. Battling with "log in's", "users", "permissions": maddening.

Oh and they nixed tradional freecell, replaced it with some Las Vegas style dreck. :mad: (Winaero still has the traditional windows games though :)).

#97 Mendel Leisk, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  18. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. From a large corp admin's point of view, we hated the introduction of roaming profiles, AND trying to store everything user related in them. Can you spell slow logins, unsynchronized profiles, lost data, etc. Nice idea that never really worked well, and yet they will never get rid of it.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My windows 10 is telling me I need to activate the license. And troubleshooting, it's tells me I'm only elegible for "home" license, even though I have "pro" license, for about 7 years now. Apparently something messed up on their servers today, just reading.

As to why I have a pro license, don't ask me; I guess I thought it was more professional, lol.

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our desktop automatically installed the last major update that killed hard disk access previously, again, about 2 months ago. I haven't done anything to troubleshoot it yet, and it sits unused for now, since we have a spare laptop.

I'm thinking of just going to a Linux distro for the desktop. Something about it being an older PC with an AMD processor makes it a pain to use with Win 10.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.