1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't update Windows 10 today

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, May 22, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a relatively ancient AMD laptop, which had a serious issue with a Windows 10 update a while back, where it kept trying to install and would upon restart cause a BSOD, and then would revert back to a state prior update, and continue with that cycle. I asked on a tech support forum and the conclusion was the computer was just too old. I figured the hardware had an incompatible driver install and it was causing the crash. I should try it again and see, if that would help?

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my case, after the update, the hard disk is gone, as far as the operating system is concerned. I'm not sure if the boot sector is getting corrupted, or if it's something else.

I have to boot up from a DVD and troubleshoot from there.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Whatever you guys/gals do, when there’s a major (“Cumulative”) update be sure you disable the Sleep function in the Power menu!

I also found keeping the old laptop cool with an ice pack underneath or opening a window in cold weather keeps it from overheating....

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll stick with Windows 7 thank you.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No thank you!
    As much as I despise Apple for shanking people on their exorbitantly expensive, slave-labor-built hardware and their practice of offshoring, they at least maintain their OS......kinda....

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, and extended support ends January 14, 2020.

#walkaway

6 Best Linux Distributions for Beginners in 2018 | It's FOSS

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So anybody else with Win 10 seeing this?

upload_2018-11-9_7-26-13.png

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not with the Home version....

Mendel, when I was considering upgrading to Home vs Pro I realized I wouldn’t be using any of the upgraded Pro features, so I just stuck to the Home version. I’m shocked the higher version in this case is the one with the problem.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll readily admit I haven't a clue what the Pro version offers over the Home version, lol. I think when I was buying our systems the cost difference was minor, and it was a just-in-case thing. Yeah from what I've read, MS is aware of it, working "tirelessly" to fix.

10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I do believe they are working on it.

My ancient computer updated overnight! IMG_1555.jpg

xliderider likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am a Microsoft fan but it irks me that there is continuous activation. Most of my installs that aren't on sensitive parts of my network are cracked. I own a key for the version installed, but I also install an activation crack so that MS can't decide in the future to kill it. How many companies have been around for 100 years? Not many. But if I buy software I want it to be mine forever. Same reason I am stuck on Adobe products from a few years ago and even Office 2016. I refuse to enable "subscription" style software.

And I should point out I have hundreds of copies of Windows. Everything from XP through Win10 including the server editions. Running on physical machines and virtual machines. Most of my VM hosts are actually Win Server 2016 DataCentre with VMWare Workstation running ontop which run Windows Server 2016 DS copies and may themselves have a VM of Win10/Win7/XP running inside of them. I do love my M$, but like any company they have flaws.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I've got a couple of "eternal" Adobe licenses, not sure how long that'll last.

14. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OTA updates....

"Feature" or "Fault???"

;)

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Feature if optional. Fault if required.

padroo likes this.
  16. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Opposite advice today, at least so far: DO update Win10 NOW:

Microsoft warns Windows 10 users to update immediately

Win10 only, not older OS's. Home version users should have auto-update by default, or by Microsoft requirement (check up on it if you have it 'Paused' for a long period), but other versions may not.

#117 fuzzy1, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my second ever Apple product yesterday.......a discontinued iwatch-thingy 3....which is actually a two-fer for people who like to laugh at blowhards like me that think that they know more than they really do.
    I've long been a critic of Apple products and I've also thought that the idea of "smart' people wearing a smart watch when they have to carry their smart phone is kinda........dumb.

I'll probably post about all of later and give Apple fans a chance to snicker at me because my FIRST ever Apple product was (is) an iPad - and, being Apple, they kinda want you to have an i-Phone if you're gonna use an iWatch.
    ^&%$#$ Apple!

WINDOWS 10?
    I'm simply not that kinda dumb.
    NOT when I don't have to be!

My beloved company recently bought me a brand spanking new HP Elitebook something or other that's saddled with an Enterprise level version of W10....so I HAVE to use it, but a significant portion of my work week is consumed by me waiting for the mandatory updates and restarts that punctuate my work-computer time.
    AND...that's not the WORST part.
    The only reason that I had to "upgrade" is that Microsoft is ending support for W7 at the end of the year....and EVERYTHING I DO on the company computer can be done faster and more easily on a Chromebook since I only use this PC for posting in PC.....answering email, filling out time sheets, and taking mandatory training.
    Just about in that order.

When I travel from office to office I carry two computers in the cargo bay of Goofy.
    One is a 15 year old personal Dell that I have set up to dual-boot with Lunux (Zorin) and XP, and the other one is a 10-year old Panasonic Toughbook that simply runs XP - sans internet.
    All of our network equipment is air-gapped and none of our technicians are running for President, so there's no security threat.

Here's the thing.....

WHY would someone do all of this who does not have to???
    I'm trying to nudge my CFO into the Apple-verse....and we use a Chromebook for all things financial.

Oops.
    Time for an Windows 10 update/restart.

If I don't post back sometime soon?
    Don't update Windows 10 today

19. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ummmm ... I hate to tell you this, but the Apple Watch only works in conjunction with an iPhone. There are rumors that the next model will work stand alone, but current models don't.

FWIW, I like my Series 2 Apple watch even more than I thought it would. It's helped a bunch in my heart rehabilitation over the past two years.

20. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well....

The good news is that Windows didn't break just now after the update.
    The bad news is that it Windows didn't break just now after the update.

Yeah. I know.
    Freekin Apple!!!..... :mad:
    My work phone is an iphone, either an 8 or a 7+, depending on which one I want to stick the SIM card in....and that partially prompted the switch from my beloved Amazfit Bip - an EXCELLENT fitness tracker and marginal smart watch.
    My plan is to synch the watch to my work phone and see if it lives up to its billing as an excellent smart watch and a decent fitness tracker.
    If it doesn't then I'm gonna get my $199 back!

Like most of my contemporaries, I have to carry two phones.....personal and work....or just use my company phone as my 24/7 carry phone. This I really cannot do because my work iphonethingy isn't even as marginally functional as a normal iphonethingy due to company restrictions.

My life is complicated like that.

I'll start a separate thread detailing the woes of a self-loathing apple user later - but since this is a Windows bashing thread, I'll turn on the blinker and merge back with the normal flow of traffic.

Thanks for the well-meaning heads-up!

#120 ETC(SS), Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.