1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Don't update Windows 10 today

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, May 22, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe someone more in the know could comment on this guys opinion, regarding increasingly pushy Microsoft account enrolment:

I Will Never Use a Microsoft Account to Log Into My Own PC - ExtremeTech

downloaded the win11 compatibility tool/app, told me no chance, wouldn’t even install on our 2011 purchased 32 bit systems. No big deal though, 2025 ETA is a whiles.

#141 Mendel Leisk, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No expert here BUT spent countless hours on a PIWIS 3 clone (Porsche equivalent to Techstream clone) trying to fix Windows 8 Pro whole boot partitions just vanishing in an instant (on an SSD). I guess the vendor realized all the trouble I had and actually discontinued their PIWIS 3 packages! Bought Windows 8 Pro Licenses and even one Windows 10 Pro license. I am beginning to hate SSDs and liking HDD where recovery software has a chance to work. Having studied some EE in college those solid state memories use NAND circuits/logic. Over time they tend to fail "holding the memory" and need to be recopied. (Wonder if they've figured out a fix for this by now). If I need a long term storage it would be on HDD with platters....

If a service provider wants to give me free email space I don't mind signing up personally. (I guess you don't have a kid with an X-Box nor have one yourself, but creating a Microsoft account to play makes X-Box life more entertaining I guess is a way to put it).... On one tech support call regarding that machine I guess the unhappy helper of mine actually deleted my Hotmail account, and used my @yahoo.com account as my new Microsoft account! One trying to avoid creating a Microsoft account may want to try using a current email address "as a loophole" when signing up. (Not sure how that works exactly but I believe Apple has similar where you can use a current email address as your "Apple account" login.)

moto g(7) power ?

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bailed out of Windows after they came out with that Fischer-Price interface with 8.

Once I put my beloved CFO into a Chrome/IOS environment I HAVE NOT LOOKED BACK.
    As much as I loathe the apples for their planned obsolescence with their hardware, at least their software is at least "statistically" free and runs on most of their hardware…for at least 5 years or so....and they make more noise about privacy than winders.

Officially, I’m still a “Windows Insider” but I only have a few hours stick time driving a non-corporate managed 10.x box and I couldn’t tell you the first thing about 11 - except that it comes after 10 and they’ve already determined an end-of-life date for it.

#143 ETC(SS), Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021