1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door actuator issue on 2012

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Moomoo69, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Moomoo69

Moomoo69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Someone broke into my car a while back and now the driver door does not lock/unlock with the remote although I hear it trying. I waited and interestingly the front passenger door did the same thing.

I opened the passenger door and got to the actuator thinking the little motor was the culprit but it seemed fine and I put it all back together, and now it works lol.

The driver side is not that simple. After taking it apart and replacing the motor (it was dead) it didn't work. The new motor is working but it's not spinning the rest of the gears. It was actually hard spinning the gears with my fingers.

At this point I'm not sure what to do since I really don't want to pay over $100 for a new actuator and don't know how to make the gears work. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Thanks.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That sounds like window motor . Most lock actuators are solenoids push pull the lock . Corollas etc . I do not have a Prius door opened up . Right now. Plastic gears sounds like a window lift motor a pancake affair . IMHO..

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have never owned a car where the lock actuators were solenoids.

Prius lock actuators use rotary motors and worm-gear mechanisms that push or pull the lock and spring back.

The lock actuators in my 1980s Ford worked the same way.