1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door ajar light and chime when car is off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusStephen, Nov 30, 2021.

1. PriusStephen

PriusStephen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a problem with my door ajar light and with battery drain. I assume the two are related.

About three or four times in the past couple of months, I've had a strange problem. When I get ready to exit the car and remove the key fob, the door ajar light and chime remain active even after the car is off and the key is removed. This does not happen every time, but when it does, whatever is going on with the car drains the battery and I have to jump start it the next time I get in.

The only thing that's changed in the past few months is that I replaced the touchscreen on the MFD. I'm certain I reconnected everything, but did I just miss a switch? Or knock something loose? It's so strange that it only happens once out of every twenty or so trips.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the door switch, maybe it is loose or corroded

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It sounds like you have an intermittent "glitch" with one of the door or tailgate switches. Could be that a door (or tailgate) doesn't completely close and press against its switch. Or the switch is worn and barely goes open when the door is closed (each switch completes a circuit from the body ecu to ground when the door is opened). Or there's some other problem with wiring or the body ecu.

What you can try is the next time you notice the fault happening, open an close one door at a time (then the tailgate) then check to see if the "door open" indicator on the dash goes out. That would ID what door is the problem.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.