1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door edge protector recommendations?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Bombtrack, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Bombtrack

Bombtrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I purchased a prime just over 3 weeks ago and already have scrapped both front door lower edges on curbs. (Yes I screamed internally each time)

I'm coming from an 06 Prius with so much hail damage it looked like a golf ball when waxed. Needless to say I didn't really care too much about minor scrapes.

The prime being my first large purchase (and being a grad student pinching pennies) I was wondering if any of you recommend a particular brand of door edge guards.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t have a recommendation for any brand. My Prime came with OEM factory installed door edge guard, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime Exterior Accessories but it is only for the side upper vertical edge. It would not protect the bottom of the door. I would think adding anything to the bottom edge would only aggravate the situation wouldn’t it? It’s already low, you don’t want to make it any lower than it is.

#2 Salamander_King, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  3. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have the factory installed door edge guards and wouldn’t get them as an add on if I had the choice. For blizzard pearl, they’re missing the pearl coat and are redundant because even if you scratch the edge guards, removing them is probably going to mar the paint anyways.

Bombtrack likes this.
  4. MarcBenjamin

MarcBenjamin Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

I agree. Though it would be a reasonable idea to have them put on a few years later once your door edges are all chipped and dinged.

jaqueh likes this.
  5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh, uneven city curbs. Unfortunately, your paint's probably already kinda scratched. I would probably start by calling around places that install car paint protection film like Xpel. They might be able to help you.

I have no personal experience, but I've seen people say they like the work that Chicago Auto Pros does.
    Professional Auto Detailing | Window Tinting | Clear Bra Paint Protect

Again, not an endorsement; just a place to start.

Bombtrack likes this.
  6. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This car's doors are very low to the ground. I've scraped my passenger door on the bottom several times. I'm going to try a short piece of door guard moulding I bought at Walmart.