1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door handle air leak with Sunroof open

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Buzzhead, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just noticed, after a month of driving, air coming in through the driver and front-passengers door lock and handle when the Sunroof is open - happens whether the air system is in flow-through or recirc, with or without the fan on. (With the windows closed, of course)
    Does this mean I'm sucking nice, moist, salty air up into the door through the weephole? I thought I'd read on a speaker replacement post that there was a plastic sheet barrier inside the door panel.
    Anyone else seen this, or think it's something to worry about?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I used to notice something similar on my 03' Acura TL Type S... I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

1 person likes this.
  3. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your talking about when your driving right? Look at the profile of your car, you'll notice it's airfoil shaped, curved top, flat bottom. So the airflow going over the top of the car is going faster and therefore has less pressure. (Bernoulli's principle). Open a hole in the roof and you tap into this low pressure area and now the inside of the car is at a slightly lower pressure and it pulls air in through the door handle. Perfectly normal and almost unavoidable.
    Yes there is a plastic sheet between the door panel and the door, but the handle has to penetrate the plastic sheet to operate the mechanism so you have a place air can leak through.

4. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Indeed, when I'm driving, seen when commuting at 30-45 mph. I was told there'd be no math:eek:! Haven't worked w/ Bernoulli's, or other simplifications of the Navier-Stokes equations, since I graduated in '82 - sorry, I digress. Figured there'd be some difference with the vent open, but I guess it's a nice tight car, to go with that industry-leading drag coefficent. Thanks for the reassurance.