1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door Handle Bowl Cover

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Salamander_King, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I am not a big fan of the extremely glossy piano black interior either. I may buy bulk roll of 3M™ Wrap Film Series 1080 and try them on the interior when the weather gets warmer around here. From what I read, the installation of a film on a curved dash requires some skills and takes time to do a good job.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I'm not sure about skill, but it took patience. I cut it a little oversized since it's impossible to make an accurate outline on it. Once I started sticking it on, I discovered that it needed lots of stretching since I had that vertical part by the 11.6" screen a little bit misaligned. Once it was in place, I trimmed it along the edges with an X-acto knife. And then rubbing out the bubbles. And then rubbing out the bubbles. And the rubbing out the bubbles. Especially where the vinyl crossed over depressions. For several weeks! But it came out fantastic. I'd do the rest of the piano stuff if it didn't have so many little buttons and stuff to trim around.

3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Patience is a virtue. And virtue is a skill. ;) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09672559508570812 I definitely lack patience to keep rubbing bubbles out for weeks. :(:(:(

About using X-act knife, if the cut is at the seam, then it is somewhat easy, but free cutting the film to fit the shape of the handle bowl on painted surface would be extremely difficult without risking nicks on the paint.

#23 Salamander_King, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't dream of trying that. Yikes! :eek: Probably guarantee paint damage that way.

The bubbles? Kind of annoying, but not time consuming or difficult. Progress was slow but visible and rewarding. :)

5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Turned out great on our Blizzard Pearl P.Prime:

IMG_1217.JPG

Looks a lot better than all those fingernail scratches!

Thanks for the tip!

Salamander_King likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your photo is not showing. Did you get chrome color ABS cover?

7. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Preventative - trim your nails? Don't open the door with you hand that has all the superbowl rings?

When my sister purchased her 2016 Prius (new off the lot) there were a lot of scratches in there too. GS27 scratch remover and a glaze made them disappear. Our only guess was that a salesperson had fake fingernails? Or crazy rings? No idea how it could have gotten so scratched up. None have appeared since removing them.

8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Although, admittedly, I haven’t had enough time to play much for quite a few years, I am (nominally at least) a classical guitarist. Classical guitarists need to have somewhat-long nails on their right hands as “guitar picks,” in essence, and no nails to speak of on their left hands.

So, can’t really do that, unless I were to admit defeat that I’ll never find enough time to get back to it!

Even with my usually-well-trimmed left-hand nails though, opening the driver’s door, I still get pretty good scratches going, unfortunately.

Probably just need to curl my fingers more!

Looking at our red 2009 Prius though, it has similar scratches, but they’re a lot harder to see than on pearl-white paint.

MTN likes this.