1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door jamming not opening

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ayagirl, Aug 17, 2018.

1. ayagirl

ayagirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had the same problem for over a year. Six months after I got my 2016 Prius. Almost every one or two months when I try to open the door it opens a couple of inches and won't fully open. Today it didn't even open when I pressed the remote key severla times but mostly it just jams and opens an inch or two.

When I take it to the dealer it works fine. Today it took me five minutes to finally have the door open. IEverything I read online suggests the actuator.

Here's the kicker. Toyota dealership that I go to said if it doesn't happen when it's at the shop they can't do ANYTHING about it since there's so many parts or things it can be. Car is still under warranty 21 months old and 11,000 miles.

What suggestions of what can I do? There's OBVIOUSLY a problem but they won't do anything unless it happens in front of them. Which it won't since it is infrequent.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which door?

Is there any particular time when it occurs? Are you inside or outside at the time? Wet, humid, dry, sunny, full-moon, after it's been closed for ages, just after it's been closed?

Can you confirm - it sounds like it unlocks OK, but you can't pull or push it open?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

i'm confused. you say you pressed the remote key several times, and then you think it might be the door lock actuator.
    but both of those only unlock the door. if it opens an inch or two, you have a hinge issue, or something sticking.

alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.
  4. ayagirl

ayagirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it unlocks fine I hear the beep go off. t only happens when I am outside my door and trying to get in. Just drivers side as I can't get in through the passenger side.

And YES I am noticing it happens more frequently when I leave the car for several minutes than for a longer time. It happened today at 7/11. It happens all seasons. I don't remember it jamming at night either but I don't really drive my car at night too much.

Today for the first time it actually wouldn't open at all several times after it opened partially the first few times. Not sure why.

I have a video but I can't seem to upload it. So I take a screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

#4 ayagirl, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you unlock it - then the handle actually releases the catch OK? But when you go to pull the door open, it only lets you open it an inch or 2 and then locks - as though the hinges have jammed?

kithmo and krmcg like this.
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Something doesn't sound right. Get a strong male friend and have him yank that door open. :D

#6 Starship16, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    kithmo and krmcg like this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if you can open it a couple inches, clearly everything you read online is wrong. It has to be in the hinge. Are there any dealers in your area who actually care enough about their customers to do some investigating?

I kind of like what @Starship16 said. Maybe if you give it a solid tug when it sticks like that, you can break whatever's jamming and then it'll be obvious.

RCO and kithmo like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think we will need a video, and the dealer too. i can't make anything out in the picture.

kithmo likes this.
  9. ayagirl

ayagirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have videos on my google drive that I tried to upload but I need to be in this forum for two more days and have more posts.

Yes exactly.

I can certainly try although I'm not the strongest.

#9 ayagirl, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2018
    jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don’t force anything, as is toyota will repair, replace, if you cause damage it will be your dime.
    Has the vehicle ever hit or been hit by anything that would bend it?
    I’d consider a visit to a body shop for analysis.

11. ayagirl

ayagirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I am aware of. This has been happening about 6 months after I got the car. I dont see any scratches or anything that might suggest that.

I am bringing it to the dealer on Monday. I am surprised they never mentioned anything that the other posters have suggested might be it. They have had the attitude since it doesnt happen with us there's nothing we can do.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep posting. how was your day today?:)

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. ayagirl

ayagirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thanks for asking :)

bisco likes this.
  14. ayagirl

ayagirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can post the link to the videos by tomorrow or Tuesday the latest.

15. ayagirl

ayagirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #15 ayagirl, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks like the outside connection to the latch isn't adjusted correctly - but seeing it's opening OK from inside, the remote opening adjuster from the inside (rods or cable?) must be fine. There are 2 release positions - and it's going to the first one OK, but for some reason, I suspect an adjustment.

Somewhere between pulling on 1) below and 2) releasing the adjustment needs ... adjusting.
    upload_2018-8-22_13-39-2.png

I'd be getting the dealer to fix it - it should be warranty.

Has the car been in an accident?

bisco likes this.
  17. ayagirl

ayagirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

No it hasn't. Nothing at all has happened. It is still under warranty. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to bring the car in. and will show them your response.

Thank you so much for your input. I know absolutely nothing about cars and was extremely angry that the representative said if the problem didn't happen on their watch they would do absolutely nothing. It happens very infrequently once a month or two perhaps, BUT it consistently happens. Again, thank you.

18. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't be mad at them. I've been fixing stuff for my entire adult life. Intermittent malfunctions like yours are really hard to troubleshoot. Often they are right when they say, "If I don't see it, I can't fix it." If it's something they have seen before and you describe it precisely enough, then maybe they know where to look. But a video should solve all that.

RCO, ITBland and ayagirl like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with alan. your o/p of 'an inch or two' caused the ci=onfusion. that is more like an eight to a quarter inch.
    the lock is not unlocking completely.
    call toyota and document the problem.

RCO, ITBland and ayagirl like this.
  20. ayagirl

ayagirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys for your help! I'll keep you updated as I am going tomorrow am to drop off the car.

RCO, jerrymildred and bisco like this.