1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door Lock Actuator Malfunction?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hobscrk777, Dec 6, 2014.

1. hobscrk777

hobscrk777 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This issue just manifested two days ago. The driver's side front door does not lock or unlock when the appropriate button is pressed on the key fob or on the switch in the door handle. The other three doors operate just fine.

I've been reading some related posts and I suspect it's a problem with the lock actuator, but I wanted to raise the issue myself just to be positive. Fixing it is potentially an expensive (if the dealer does it) or time-consuming (if I do it myself) process. I've seen the post about taking apart the door panel, and I want to be sure of the problem before I go down that route.

I recorded this video to show what happens when the door is unlocked and I press the "lock" button on the door handle. It actually looks like the actuator is trying to flip the lock, but it just can't quite do it. Does this look like the classic actuator malfunction?

PS. On a somewhat related note, it's always a struggle to use the physical key to unlock the driver side door. It feels tight, jammed, or clogged when I try to slide the key in, and it's a similar struggle to pull the key out after unlocking the car. Is there an easy fix for this?

MrGuardia likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're spot on.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It could be the actuator, though if it seems to almost lock/unlock the actuator is still functioning. It may be something is jamming the mechanism. Perhaps try a little lubricant on all moving parts in the chain from manual "knob" to the actuator before replacing the actuator. I would use silicone spray but "white grease" would be good too. Still have to remove the panel though.

4. MrGuardia

MrGuardia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am having the exact same issue on my 2010 gen 3 with 27K miles. I'm a bit bummed that I'm having this issue so early on. Dealer gave me a quote of $400 plus labor. Not sure what I'm going to do.

5. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Aftermarket option available.
    [​IMG]

6. JazzyCT

JazzyCT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just had my driver's door actuator replaced on my 2013 with about 38k miles. About $400+ to fix. It was covered under my extended warranty.

bisco likes this.
  7. Geistkat

Geistkat New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just started having the same issue on my 2010. We replaced the batteries in both fobs but that didn't work. All the other doors lock and unlock fine with the fob, and I can unlock and lock with the buttons in the car once inside just the drivers door will not unlock with the fob and the car keeps beeping at me. Guess she's mad.

8. Anomoly

Anomoly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know this is a bit of an old post... but just wanted to report my experience with my Gen 3.

Had issues with the door driver's not unlocking with the key fob intermittently. Other times it would beep about 8 times (with the lights also) and still not unlock, I would have to manually reach in and unlock the door.

Looked it up and everyone said it's the door actuator, car 12v battery or the key fob batteries.

I switched out the batteries in the key fob, same, so I took it into the dealership...

They checked the 12v everything was fine there - so they said it was the door actuator that needed to be replaced. They were going to charge me the low price of $700. I thanked them and got my car back.

Went online and got the driver side door actuator along with door pry tools (about $60 total, more on this later), and few screw drivers.

There's a gen 2 post with photos that was really helpful along with a youtube video on getting the door cover off.

I don't do a lot of car work myself but it took me about 2 hours to get it done, if I were to do it again I could do it in under an hour.

It was $60 because I got an OEM actuator with warranty. I saw that it's most likely just the little motor inside the actuator that needs to be replaced (which would be about $5) but I don't have a lot of time and tools to fiddle and make things fit/work. Take out the old, put in the new. I figure saving $600+ was good enough for me.

TL;DR: I'm not a car person, it took me about 2 hours to replace the Door actuator and save $600.

StarCaller likes this.
  9. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you got a part number?
    (might come in handy one day)

edit: driver side is DORMAN 931401 {#6904006180, 690400C050, 6904042250} Latch and Actuator Assembly
    $150.- at rockauto/

#9 StarCaller, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  10. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the same issue on my 2010. It was a bad actuator. It was replaced under the extended warranty.

11. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I also have the same issue with my 2010 Prius, on the driver's (RHD) door. However, it is not as easy to get the part here in Australia, as the Prius is not a very popular vehicle here. I found an ebay listing in the US for a genuine used part, which also mentioned the below.

"For sale is a good used Prius Door Lock/ Actuator Fits:
    Front Driver Door 2004-2013 Prius,
    2005-2012 Tacoma,
    2007-2014 Fj Cruiser,
    2006-2014 Yaris"

I have also found a listing here in Australia for a used part on a Yaris. It is only AU$65. Should I take a gamble that it may fit?
    Is there anyway to find out if it will before purchasing?

Genuine Toyota Yaris NCP90/91 Door Lock Actuator Right H Front 10/2005-10/2011 | eBay

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Go to one of the online dealers with the parts catalogs and diagrams online, like villagetoyotaparts.com, look up the door actuators for that model Yaris and your model Prius, and see if the part numbers match.

(Note: Village is a US dealer; if you know a URL for an Australian dealer with catalogs online, that would be even better.)

-Chap

#12 ChapmanF, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017