1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door lock actuator replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AJBC, Jun 1, 2015.

1. AJBC

AJBC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,

I've been putting up with my front driver side door not being able to lock for about a year now.
    Toyota originally quoted me $600 to fix it, then I bought the actual $3 motor that is meant to go inside the actuator in order to try it myself. But after investigating I decided that I didn't really have the skills to make the repair, so I am now reconsidering getting it fixed.

I went to my local, who still quoted me $500, saying that Toyota are the only ones who make the actuator, and charge quite a bit for them. I am guessing the part is the same price that Toyota quoted me (probably $300-350), and the $100 price difference can be equated to a higher cost of labour at Toyota.

Is that actually true that only Toyota make the actuators? Even though I am in Australia, I feel like I can maybe order an actuator online for far less than $300-350.

I recently tried to buy a water pump for the petrol engine, and ended up mistakenly buying the pump for the hybrid engine. Given my complete lack of mechanical knowledge, if someone can point me to an actuator online, that will definitely fit the 2007 Prius, that would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is an example of a US Toyota dealer which sells parts at ~25% discount from MSRP. The door actuator sells for USD336 MSRP and this dealer sells the part for USD252.
    2007 Toyota Prius Parts - AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts

This dealer probably will not ship to a non-US address. The reason I provided this info is to help you assess the parts pricing available in your country.

Maybe you can find a local handyman who is willing to take apart the actuator from your car and install the replacement motor.

I don't know what a "hybrid engine" is. Perhaps you meant the coolant pump for the inverter/transaxle coolant loop?

Since you have a complete lack of mechanical knowledge - unless you are willing to put a lot of effort into developing that knowledge base, you probably should continue to rely upon paying someone else to do the work for you. Good luck with your decision.

3. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have only seen Toyota made door lock actuators. They are part of the door lock assembly. You might look into a second hand one as some seem to last much longer than others. Also, second and third generation Prii use the same lock, not that the third generation are any better.

Avi

4. AJBC

AJBC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right okay, if the retail price is USD336 then I doubt I can get it any cheaper than $300AUD. Factoring in exchange rate and shipping cost.
    I really thought there would be cheaper alternatives but if we are all in the same boat I guess I will just suck it up and pay it.

I may try find someone handy to replace the motor, but even then I'm not 100% sure that is the issue (but it more than likely is).

Sorry I think I meant the electric engine? Basically the way they put it to me is that there is two pumps in the car and I was meant to get the petrol engine pump but got the other one instead? Does that sound right?

Thanks

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your Prius has three coolant pumps:

1. Gasoline engine coolant pump (mechanical pump powered by the serpentine drive belt)
    2. Inverter/transaxle coolant pump (which is electric. The transaxle contains the two electric motor-generators)
    3. Cabin heater core coolant pump (another electric pump)

North American Prius have a fourth coolant pump (electric), for the coolant heat recovery system which is a system unique to NA Prius.