1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door lock forced open by thief

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Cooleymtnbiker1, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Cooleymtnbiker1

Cooleymtnbiker1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all.
    My Prius was broken into recently. They used some sort of tool that forced the door lock open. Door still locks with FOB. However I cannot use the key to open the door now. Is there a easier fix for this or do I need to replace the entire door lock system?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please give more details? What specifically is physically damaged?

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  3. Cooleymtnbiker1

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello and thank you for responding. The key slot in in the driver door will still accept the key but I cannot get it to move. The thief must of forced something in there to force the door open. The door itself still locks/unlocks with he FOB. Any suggestions are helpful. Thx

4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And what is happening physically -- can you still insert the key in the lock? Are you able to turn the key?

Granted the lock doesn't engage/disengage, but these answers would be clues as to why.

5. Cooleymtnbiker1

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the follow up. I cannot turn the key once inserted. I haven't applied a ton of force to move the key yet. Please let me know any other questions.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One nice thing about a Prius, there's only one door that has a lock cylinder! :)

You buy the one cylinder (even comes with two new matching mechanical keys you can slip into your two fobs), replace it in that one door (five-minute job, unless the thieves somehow further messed up the door) and you're done.

Not like having an older car, where you would end up having to replace key cylinders in all four doors and the trunk and the steering column (or only replace some of them and resign yourself to carrying two different keys around, or get a locksmith to rebit some of them to fit the same key).

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. Cooleymtnbiker1

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome. Is that something I need to go through the dealer for? Also is there a how to video on the web?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The dealer is an easy place to buy the part.

You can find how-to videos on the web for just about anything, and some of them are even right sometimes.

You can also find repair manuals, as described here.