1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door Locking Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jolly, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I recently replaced the battery in my key fob - just as a preventive maintenance measure. All worked fine for the first couple days.
    Now, when exiting the car I push down on the door lock inside the door, get out and the doors unlock immediately. Only way to lock the car is to press the lock symbol on the fob. Touching the handle no longer works to open it. I must use the fob. The button beneath the steering column is in the correct position. Any ideas? Thanks, all!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try the other fob, check the new battery voltage, check the 12v health, put the sks button in the opposite position just for fun, is the second fob in the car somewhere?

kenoarto likes this.
  3. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No 2nd fob available currently as I'm in the hospital with my wife, who was falsely diagnosed with a heart attack but all is well.
    I will experiment with your advice first chance I get. I Thank You!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best with her health.(y)

5. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mystery solved! In our panic to get to the ER, I put my wife's purse in the trunk - WITH HER FOB in it. Everything functions as it should upon it's removal from the car.
    But, while I have you on the line, I would appreciate some of your wisdom. I've driven my Prius now for nearly 2 years and am happy to report that I have come a long ways in my understanding of its operation. P & G is a breeze (I can even glide at around 50 mph - no arrows) and am managing about 53 mpg average, not counting winter. I drive exclusively on rural state and county highways - no chance to P & G. frequently. It is only a 6 mile commute on a fairly busy highway. The one thing I still have not come to grips on, is how to accelerate for best FE. Slowly to 55 mph, quickly to 55 mph, pedal to the metal or what? I've read numerous opinions about this but would like to know what the general consensus is regarding acceleration. BTW, thank you for the kind words re: my wife's health. We are finally home and she is getting some good rest. Lots of interruptions when in a hospital! Just the same, God bless the nurses of this world.

#5 Jolly, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    concur on nurses and everyone in the health care field.

it is difficult to describe acceleration. some people have a scan gauge to watch rpm's, and the gen III has a linear gauge to define acceleration. the best i can say is to accelerate briskly, not slowly, not pedal to the metal. and of course, when in traffic, keep up.

7. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank You!

bisco likes this.